Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

I made the Top 50 of LPFC last year. After the winners were announced (June), the Top 100 finalists were told that a booklet was sent out to its network of reps/producers. Then after that we heard absolutely nothing until October (4 months). We got an e-mail from the organizer telling us which companies had asked to read our script (think I got like a dozen requests or so). Since then, no contact as they're focused on this year's competition.

I still have some hope, as just about a week ago one of the Top 100 finalists (from last year) was announced as having just signed with a manager and hitting the market with a spec. That suggests that some of the reps/producers may still be getting around to reading the finalists from last year (when reading may have been delayed due to the WGA-ATA conflict, as Cooper indicated).

Congrats to all who placed, and good luck!
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
      I made the Top 50 of LPFC last year.
      I just found out I made the Top 50 in the current contest Your post suddenly became really relevant to me, LOL. Thanks for sharing your experience.
      Manfred Lopez Grem
      WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
        Thanks! By the way, I recently read one of your screenplays and really liked it. Very well done.
        Wow, thanks, manfredlopez. I'm glad you like it. And congrats on the top 50!
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I just found out I made the Top 50 in the current contest Your post suddenly became really relevant to me, LOL. Thanks for sharing your experience.
          No problem, glad it's useful. Congrats, and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            Wow, thanks, manfredlopez. I'm glad you like it. And congrats on the top 50!
            Thanks! BTW, It was Tracker. I love this kind of Sci-Fi movie. I really hope it gets made. I think you've mentioned on here that you were very close at least on one occasion.

No problem, glad it's useful. Congrats, and good luck!
            Thanks! May I ask, did you have any other placements in other contests or fellowships with that script?
            Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Thanks! May I ask, did you have any other placements in other contests or fellowships with that script?

I only entered it in one other contest, Nicholl (where it made the Top 15%). Just thought its chances were limited due to it being a period drama. I plan to enter it in a few new places this year because of the positive reception it got (Austin, PAGE).

Comment

I only entered it in one other contest, Nicholl (where it made the Top 15%). Just thought its chances were limited due to it being a period drama. I plan to enter it in a few new places this year because of the positive reception it got (Austin, PAGE).
                Top 15%, that is awesome! I have a feeling you will do well. I also recently submitted to Nicholl, Austin and PAGE. Fingers and toes crossed for the both of us, and all other DoneDealers!

The reason I asked is because this is my first time entering writing competitions and I'm trying to get a sense of 'contest-equivalency,' if such a thing even exists. In other words, I'm wondering if one solid contest placement translates to other placements, or if it's all more random like with short films, where 'successful' shorts have an acceptance rate of roughly only 10% (You submit to 10 festivals in order to maybe be selected by one... It's rough out there for indie directors.)
                Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Top 15%, that is awesome! I have a feeling you will do well. I also recently submitted to Nicholl, Austin and PAGE. Fingers and toes crossed for the both of us, and all other DoneDealers!

The reason I asked is because this is my first time entering writing competitions and I'm trying to get a sense of 'contest-equivalency,' if such a thing even exists. In other words, I'm wondering if one solid contest placement translates to other placements, or if it's all more random like with short films, where 'successful' shorts have an acceptance rate of roughly only 10% (You submit to 10 festivals in order to maybe be selected by one... It's rough out there for indie directors.)
                  Thanks! Yes, good luck to us all!

I have no idea about the average success of contest entries in screenwriting -- doubt any numbers have been crunched, and it would probably be a waste of time due to so many subjective factors. I do know that several of the scripts that made the Tracking Board Top 50 last year also did well in other top contests (which is not surprising to me, as it's very hard to get into the Top 50).

Comment

The plot thickens... I just found out I made the top 25
                    Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

That's awesome, manfredlopez! Way to go!
                      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                        That's awesome, manfredlopez! Way to go!
                        Thanks!
                        Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

The plot thickens... I just found out I made the top 25
                          Wow! Congrats!

Comment

Wow! Congrats!
                            Thanks!
                            Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

I've never entered Launch Pad but thought I might give it a try after this reading through this thread. A couple questions:

One thing I noticed in looking over the list of winners/top 75 is that they all list a "XYZ meets ABC" before their loglines.

1) Do you have to do this "XYZ meets ABC" on the submission form, or are you asked to do this if your script places? (I don't find "XYZ meets ABC" useful and I'm also terrible at them).

2) By using the coverfly to do this does this mean your script logline/you are listed for everyone else to see? So it's not an anonymous or double/blind read by a judge?

https://tblaunchpad.com/2019-feature/
                              Last edited by figment; 04-15-2020, 12:53 PM. Reason: add a link

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                                I've never entered Launch Pad but thought I might give it a try after this reading through this thread. A couple questions:

One thing I noticed in looking over the list of winners/top 75 is that they all list a "XYZ meets ABC" before their loglines.

1) Do you have to do this "XYZ meets ABC" on the submission form, or are you asked to do this if your script places? (I don't find "XYZ meets ABC" useful and I'm also terrible at them).

2) By using the coverfly to do this does this mean your script logline/you are listed for everyone else to see? So it's not an anonymous or double/blind read by a judge?

https://tblaunchpad.com/2019-feature/
                                You don't have to do the "XYZ meets ABC" thing on the submission form. You are asked to provide such a description if you make the Top 100 (when you will have another form to fill out that asks for information such as a bio and 3 other scripts you want to submit as samples). That said, TB does not necessarily stick with the one you provided - it changed my description when it was published on the website. The description is not listed on the site until the final winner is announced.

As for Coverfly, I've never used that to enter Launch Pad, but I doubt that your logline is listed for everyone to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X