Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The new X-Files....

This was really hyped pre-premier by FB friends, then suddenly...

Radio silence.

After watching the first two Eps on amazon last night I can see why. The lines were phoned in, the dialogue was clunky, and OMG -- did Ep 2 have like, the biggest expo dump in human history? And it all seemed so contrived and ultra-political. Maybe I shouldn't have been sober

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
      And it all seemed so contrived and ultra-political. Maybe I shouldn't have been sober
      True, but the original series was the same way. The difference was, it was far more clever about it. The new series feels like they've dummied the messaging down by making it too blatant. Gone is any semblance of subtlety, or message to be mined from subtext. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Mpimentel View Post
        It was like they were not Mulder and Scully, but like they were two other actors trying to be Mulder and Scully.

I just saw episode 1 and 2, and make no mistake I will see this through, because I want to believe.
        You nailed it. The two look old, tired and haggard, playing parodies of their former selves. Just two 50-year-olds trying to be hip again.

And episode three was awful. I feel like Carter is making these episodes intentionally shi**y in an effort to kill the X-files for good.
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Watched the new season up to date so far and it's actually a blast of fun. Sure, it won't beat the originals but it's still a good hit of nostalgia and I'm excited to see how far they push the show in such a limited run of eps.

Comment

#3 was on track with the original. Next week actually looks scary. Its fun to watch just because...

Comment

I had seen none of the new episodes till last night, when I caught the last two thirds of Episode #3, the one about the lizard man.

My scattered thoughts and reactions.

At some points the acting was lifeless and awkward. The meta-subtext (if I can maybe coin a new term) that I was getting was: «We really don't want to be here. Why do we have to be here doing this?»

The whole thing made me feel embarrassed at times — embarrassed for the actors, embarrassed for all of us who liked the old show (with all of its many warts, which sometimes were huge).

The aging Mulder had a jowly look that reminded me of Walter Matthau in his later years. Honestly, I did not figure out the resemblance until I started writing about this just now.

I kept wondering whether Chris Carter was associated with the show, and I saw in the credits at the end that he was. I was not surprised at his connection, just disappointed that the production qualities (direction, lighting, acting) that I had associated with him were for the most part missing.

Every once in a while some touches of excellence came through in the timing and nuances of the production. But they were uncommon.

The lizard man was an enjoyable character, and his performance was good.

The script was not bad in concept.

I was disappointed. But I would watch another episode.
              Last edited by ComicBent; 02-02-2016, 08:17 PM.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I thought Episode 3 was fantastic, in every sense of the word-- a very worthy successor to "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and "Jose Chung's From Outer Space."

If the only purpose of this revival is to give Darin Morgan a forum to tell one great story a year, that's fine with me...

Comment

Just started watching Ep 3.

And the start of it was on par' with the original. Will be back with comments after I see the rest.

For those geeks out there, the actor (Tyler Labine) at the start getting high, played the exact same character (stoner) on another TWO Xfiles episode when he was younger.... And I thought that was cool, instead of paint though I think he was just doing mushrooms and weed on the other 2.

These guys do have a sense of humor... Can't deny that.
                  "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
                  SUBTITLED
                  Episode 1 (Beef pills)
                  Episode 2 (African commercial)
                  Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Alright so...

My thoughts...

This episode had that scooby doo feel to it. A little hokey, but they did have these kind of episodes in the original series so that said...

Episode 3, is a closer call to the original, a good direction to head to... I do enjoy the little nod's to the original, but some of it feels like it's making fun of itself, and that makes me feel like I'm watching a parody to a degree. Mulder's phone ringtone is the series theme song? That's a cool gag, but, kinda like my Xfiles more on the serious side... There was no sense of danger here, and no sense of care... Mulder is chasing a killer with a cellphone out instead of a gun?

Anyway, ep. 3 is the best one so far, and could have been one of the lower tier episodes in the original series... So, ok, let's see what you bring in for #4... Got me curious now.

PLUS
                    Mulder looks a bit thinner here than on the first 2, and I know that's silly, but it just lets me get into the story more rather than thinking "man this dude let himself go"...
                    "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
                    SUBTITLED
                    Episode 1 (Beef pills)

Comment

I thought it was excellent. The acting (Rhys Darby- hilarious), the story line, all of it.

Comment

Episode 3 felt more like a parody of the X-Files, but no one could make fun of them better than themselves.

Comment

I love the fact that they brought in characters used in previous episodes.
                          Looking for some light, and making things beautiful along the way.

Comment

Just saw Episode 4.

That episode was so lazy, everything that came out of peoples mouths was exposition. I lost it when Scully had to mention to Mulder something like, "William, our son, my Mother's grandson"

Acting was laughable, Scully's character has no strength, and neither of them AGAIN feel like they are in any danger ever... If they don't care, then I don't care. A notable exception was the acting of the artist "Trashman", which I did enjoy for some reason, although even he has a damn near 5 minute exposition dialogue scene.

The cinematography, and special effects on this one however do shine. That scene at the end with Muder and Scully sitting on that lodge is poster worthy.

This is as bad as episode 2 to me, if this was a new series, I would bail right about now.
                            SUBTITLED
                            Episode 1 (Beef pills)

Comment

We just got it in the UK so I won't read back up through the thread as you seem to be up to episode 3.

I was never a fan of the originals, just didn't watch them really, even though they are one of the shows to define the 1990s.

I'm not quite sure what to think just yet, it might be a good idea, but wondered what the real motivations for bringing this back were?
                              Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
                                We just got it in the UK so I won't read back up through the thread as you seem to be up to episode 3.

I was never a fan of the originals, just didn't watch them really, even though they are one of the shows to define the 1990s.

I'm not quite sure what to think just yet, it might be a good idea, but wondered what the real motivations for bringing this back were?

$$$$$$$
                                "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Working...
                                X