Comment

Re: "Bad" Movies You Love

Invaders from Mars (1953)
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by medic1 View Post
        ...Kristy Swanson
        Now that's a name I haven't heard or thought of in over a decade.

Comment

Someone mentioned Hudson Hawk earlier, but how about the stone-cold Lehmann classic, Airheads.

Pair with Empire Records for the ultimate mid-90s alt rock double bill!

Comment

I really enjoyed Bonfire of the Vanities. Never thought it deserved it's infamy. I also really liked that Orlando Bloom/Kirsten Dunst rom com. If you're depressed, that movie will make you feel good. It super awkward and that Susan Sarandon dance scene, lol, cringeworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
              Showgirls (1995) Verhoeven was just coming off of Total Recall and Basic Instinct...then there was this slow motion train wreck you have to watch again and again to make yourself a checklist of what not to do when writing/acting/directing. If you do a drinking game and take a shot for every cliché or awful line delivery...you'll only see the first 10 minutes. A career-ender for many of those involved. Don't bother to follow the plot, just sit there in awe for 90 minutes. Awe of just how the studio system let this go from script to watching dailies to a final product.
              In hindsight, even screenwriter Joe Eszterhas agrees with you here, albeit not as bluntly, in one of his books (I have several of his books and cannot recall in which book it is that he dissects Showgirls).

When it comes to Hollywood movies, though, it’s not as easy (for me) to get on board with a particular screenwriter’s movies as it is (for me) to get on board with a particular director’s movies (as usual, exceptions are the rule, and here mine is Charlie Kaufman). But almost always, the director takes the credit or the hit, depending upon where the chips may fall.

It’s simply the nature of the beast that is a produced movie. The guy calling the shots on set is the director, not the writer. So many hands are involved in making light work of making a movie. It’s easier for mere mortal Earthlings to hang their hats on one person—the Director—than to sort out and approve of ALL the team that goes into putting a screenplay on a movie screen.

When some moviegoer says that they liked a movie, they’re in effect saying that they like that director... THIS time, on THIS story, with THESE actors— and that the director made the right choices to satisfy the moviegoer’s experience with the film. The next time out, the director might not fare as well. Who knows?

So, even when we say we like these “bad” movies, effectively we’re saying that despite all industry evidence to the contrary, we’re saying that we like the director’s version of that “bad” movie.

Quentin Tarantino has amped up the audience appetite for the “bad movie” stereotype and seems to have made them palatable, if not profitable. That could as easily also be a silent commentary on the declining IQ level of an ill-educated, tasteless American audience, too, but scientific data on that is missing here. At first, I was not so keen on QT, but he has improved greatly as a director over the past several years, and his more current movies reflect that growth. But, QT’s not the only director in town, either.

Another choice for a “bad” movie is Sin City.
              Last edited by Clint Hill; 08-20-2019, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Con Air

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                  I really enjoyed Bonfire of the Vanities. Never thought it deserved it's infamy. I also really liked that Orlando Bloom/Kirsten Dunst rom com. If you're depressed, that movie will make you feel good. It super awkward and that Susan Sarandon dance scene, lol, cringeworthy.
                  Elizabethtown is one of my favorite films of all time for its storyline and nothing else, as is The Notebook. Both have good directors/storytellers at their helm, but if Story is king in Hollywood, then these two films are royalty.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                    Elizabethtown is one of my favorite films of all time for its storyline and nothing else, as is The Notebook. Both have good directors/storytellers at their helm, but if Story is king in Hollywood, then these two films are royalty.

I enjoyed it for its topic (Orlando Blooms characters entire life is imploding). Plus, its quirkiness. Sometimes a movie is so awkward, you just appreciate its charms. There's a small cult of viewers that secretly love the movie. We just keep in the shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                      So many movies of course that I love and people hate... Howard the Duck comes to mind. Now I don't know if it stands up to my 41 year old dead inside brain but I loved it since I saw it to age 25 at least...

I'm currently watching Star Trek V. And I love it. It's far from perfect, but what I love about the original series is the relationship of the 3 main characters.
                      Kirk. Spock. McCoy. And this movie is overflowing with that, some great lines and scenes in maybe a not great movie, but a movie I love.

I could list another 50. But let others jump in. And if you pick Godfather 3, you lose the game. Just kidding.
                      Okay, it's easy to pick low budget movies like The Beginning of the End (Giant Grasshoppers) or From Hell it Came (walking tree monster) or War of the Gargantuas (actually an Americanized sequel to Frankenstein Conquers the World) -- all of which I not only really love but own copies of and have watched many times.

I don't think it's fair to include those. I think to really get on this list you need to have a genuine A-list movie with major stars that first -- is genuinely awful in every respect but which, purely by virtue of its awfulness achieves its own level of hypnotic obsessive watchability.

And for that, my shining entry in this list boils down to one single movie:

McKenna's Gold.

The single most magnificently, gloriously awful movie in the history of civilization.

this western "epic" cannot be described. It cannot be summarized (well, okay, Julie Newmar plays the Indian maiden, Hesh-ka. It's all like that).

And this is a big movie. BIG. Starring Gregory Peck and Omar Sharif. With Telly Savalas and Burgess Meredith and Edward G. Robinson and Raymond Massey and Ted Cassidy (as the Indian Hachita) and Lee J. Cobb, and Keenan Wynn, and Anthony Quayle and Eli Wallach!

This is perhaps the most star-studded turd in the history of the universe!

Written by Carl Foreman - the guy who wrote High Noon!

No, one does not simply watch McKenna's Gold -- one experiences it, like taking LSD or magic mushrooms, which I strongly suspect everybody involved in the making of this movie must have been taking when they made it.

Watching this movie is truly a life-changing experience. Not for the better necessarily -- but there you go.

NMS

Comment

As mentioned by previous post...

McKenna's Gold fits the category. They started out with the legend of the Lost Adams Diggings and by the time the stars were all crowded into the pic and the execs made all their changes...the story gets so convoluted it is probably not close to the pic originally envisioned. And as rightfully noted...a LOT of on-screen talent individually doing great, but not meshing into what it could have been.

The shorter version would star Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner (birdus superfastus) running around the canyons toppling boulders on each other.

Comment

Soldier (1998) got 12% on Rotten Tomatoes. I kinda liked it.

Comment

I love so many

PROOF OF LIFE (is it bad or great?)

SHALLOW HAL ( laughed so loud in the theater)

THE PRINCIPAL 1987

LAST ACTION HERO (great movie)

LOCK UP

ALL THE SEGAL MOVIES

LION-HEART VAN DAMME, (I THINK THEY RENAMED THIS CLASSIC I SAW IN THEATER)

SURVIVING THE GAME (TIMELY)

TOY SOLDIERS

SMALL SOLDIERS

WEEKEND AT BERNIES (to me this is a comedy classic...)

MANNEQUEN

ALL POLICE ACADEMY MOVIES

RAMBO

ROCKY BALBOA (I cried in theater)

HALLOWEEN 2, 3, 4, ORIGINAL SERIES

JASON LIVES IS MY FAVORITE F13 FILM

CHILD'S PLAY 2

NEW NIGHTMARE IS GREAT

RAINMAN (YOU GUYS STOPPED READING THIS RIGHT?)

Comment

Well, Weekend at Bernie's is a classic. I think I've seen it like 20 times. Wouldn't mind if they re-release it the way they do other movies.

I also really enjoyed "The Substitute." The special forces guy works as a substitute teacher and starts kicking the local gang's butt. Same reason why I enjoyed Rumble in the Bronx.

Comment

Every time Shallow Hal is on, I end up watching the rest of it. It's actually a great movie. Compare it to I Feel Pretty, which was a very limp retread of the same ground. I Feel Pretty was so mediocre I couldn't even hate watch it.

Comment

Working...
                                X