How long before a manager will get back to me?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before a manager will get back to me?

Hey, after sending out a bunch of query letters and what-not, I received two interested managers asking for a copy of my script.

Now that I've sent it (about a week ago, actually), how long is the norm for them to read it and get back to me? Do I send an e-mail making sure they got the script? I'm relatively new to all this, and still learning the ropes. Sorry if this has been brought up thousands of times before.

(Oh, and one of them, Justin Killion, I just read in another thread got another job and probably won't respond. So there goes half my problem lol)

Re: How long before a manager will get back to me?

I hear the norm is to wait 4 weeks before sending a followup. But I would be interested to hear other people's replies.

Comment

Give them two weeks minimum. They are overwhelmed with material. Don't be surprised if it takes months. Keep sending queries and continue to write. If a couple months pass, follow up again.

Justin has moved on and will be looking for material in a bit. He is getting settled in now.

Comment

Justin Killion was -- from my limited personal experience with him -- terrible at getting to material. I sent him a script in June and never heard back. I assumed that meant it was a pass.

On a lark, I followed up in OCTOBER when I was looking for new representation; he wrote back saying he never read the script, was sorry, and would get to it ASAP.

Over a month later, he still never read it.

Which is fine. I landed on my feet with my current rep and couldn't be happier.

And I don't say the above to trash the dude. Managers have mountains of material to wade through, but there are clearly those that do a better job of getting to stuff in a timely fashion than others. S'all I'm sayin'.

Edited to add: to answer the OP's answer, allow 4-6 weeks. If you don't hear anything by then, a polite follow-up e-mail to inquire is fine.

Comment

If you get no response to a followup, are you supposed to assume it's a pass?

Or do you attempt more followups before deciding it's a pass?

Comment

I'd just move on. You could still check in every once in a while-- "Happy New Year... blah blah blah... " "Hope you had a great Valentine's Day.... had a chance to read the script yet?" If you're still in the running/things are positive they may chit chat back. If you're in the NO pile that's when you'll either quit hearing back or get the polite rejection letter. From my experience.

Comment

I know that this may sound a bit silly but do we really have to follow up?

I mean, if they like it enough they will call us right? What's the point of pestering them all the time to see whether they've read the script?

At the end of the day, I'd rather carry on hoping rather than have my "dreams" shattered because of a formal, written pass.

I've read stories that those that haven't replied yet - even after 6 months or even longer - might haven't been able to find the right buyer for the script. So they keep it low and if someone eventually turns up then they sign you on so to close the deal. I've also heard stories that 1 yr passed before someone heard back from an agent/manager.

If more light could be shed into this would be great for all those that are new

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

[quote=cvolante;499894]"Happy New Year... blah blah blah... " "Hope you had a great Valentine's Day.... had a chance to read the script yet?"

Comment

id say two months is not an unreasonable time to wait for a follow up. theyve got a mountain of scripts to read and whenever i follow up sooner than later, theyll say check back in a few wks anyway =/

Comment

How long will it take? Between one day and one month. If it is more than a month, just so you know, they are passing and haven't the balls to call you.

Comment

Yeah.. I'm hearing the replys ..but my thing is ..I'm hearing back from most of the canadian managers I queryed ..and none from the US yet... Whats going on!! Canada is hitting me back even before my own home turf ..LOL!! Dang that's crazy ..Maybe Managers are not feeling my reality Show stuff ....

Comment

I have a question that's similar. I sent out a bunch of e-queries a few days ago. So far, I've heard from 2 of them with read requests.

How long would you wait before you assume they're not interested in a read? I figured with email, the requests should come fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by briking View Post

How long would you wait before you assume they're not interested in a read? I figured with email, the requests should come fairly quickly.
                          The requests to read from my equery came almost instantly -- all within two hours of me pushing send. I hold no hope for anymore coming. (It was a week ago and yes, no more have come in).

Now does the same pattern normally occur with the reads -- unless you hear back in two weeks it probably a pass?

Sorry, I know this is just restating the original question.

Jeff, SBScript, darrylo -- any wisdom here?
                          Last edited by Incognito; 02-27-2009, 07:05 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Don't worry about getting replies. Keep chugging along with either query campaigns, polishing, or writing more material.

If I added up all of the time I was either waiting for an email or watching my inbox every five minutes, I'd probably have enough time to write another feature.

Comment

i like to follow up after 1 week, if only as a reminder for them to read... got to keep it close to the top of their pile...

Comment

Working...
                              X