Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting it Big

Here's one that ought to interest a lot of you.

SCRIPTLAND: Kyle Ward reaching new Hollywood 'Heights'
    By Jay A. Fernandez
    Special to The Times

April 25, 2007

As recently as three weeks ago, Kyle Ward was just another assistant at DreamWorks. Until he sold his first screenplay, "Fiasco Heights," to Universal Pictures for Michael Bay to produce. Four days after that, Creative Artists Agency signed him as a client. Last Thursday, Lionsgate hired the 27-year-old to adapt "Kane & Lynch," a video game launching in September about two death row escapees.

And then Saturday night he strode into Guy's Bar on Beverly Boulevard straight into the excited embrace of a handful of industry strivers who were throwing a celebratory party in his honor.

Such is the trajectory of young Hollywood - "young" signifying both literal age and those freshly minted on the successful side of the industry scale. A seminal moment like this is really something to witness. At Guy's, a sea of former agency and studio assistants, once-struggling writers and first-time producers, having gotten their initial taste of power, money and recognition - either firsthand or vicariously - were now licking their lips, suffused with the warm rush of the momentum of success and hungry for more.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1746870.story

Re: Hitting it Big

Last Thursday, Lionsgate hired the 27-year-old to adapt "Kane & Lynch," a video game launching in September about two death row escapees.

I've been twenty-seven for the last seven years.
    If you really like it you can have the rights
    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

FWIW, there was a big buzz in the office (where I intern) about this script 1-2 weeks before it sold. I had to personally hand out four copies of the script to the employees so they could take a look.

It was an interesting sight to see because it offered a glimpse at the kind of excitement a hot spec script can generate.

Comment

Is it worth the adulation, Dalt?
        "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
          Is it worth the adulation, Dalt?
          Haven't read it yet, but it's on the agenda (might even get to it tonight). I'll let you know.

Comment

Looking at the guy's photo, he's a handsome hipster who will probably be the delight of the party circuit, eventually marrying a supermodel or an actress.

I am encouraged by the fact that even though he's still in his 20s, he was influenced by the Golden Age of Storytelling in movies.

Youth + imagination + hindsight + foresight = a great life.

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Just finished Fiasco Heights. It's basically a pumped up version of Sin City. Neo-noir with lots of style and action. The story didn't impress me, but I can see why the script sold. There are lots of clever gags and the writing is bold (literally). The writer has a confident voice. He frequently breaks the formatting "rules." And while the plot and characters really didn't involve me, the tone was excellent and there are some real pearls in the dialogue. The script is very tongue-in-cheek.

Overall opinion? Kind of fun, but I wouldn't rush out to make it. I doubt it will be a monster hit and it seems like it would require a huge budget .

The success of 300 may have contributed to this sale, but I think it would be foolish to expect this movie (as written) to generate similar box office returns. 300 was very calculated with moral values that appeal to the American (and human) mind. This script is closer to Sin City. Lots of violence and bubble gum fun, but not as coherent in its message, themes, or morals.

We'll see how it fares in development.

Comment

Working...
              X