View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 02:57 AM   #59
Vango
User

Default Re: How Tone and Voice = Writer's Style (attitude and personality)

A writer must value words.

It does not matter if one is a poet, a novelist, a screenwriter, or a songwriter. Each word contributes to tone, to mood, to feeling.

I cannot speak to how everyone in the industry reads or reacts to scripts, but for me personally, I do not care. I love reading a script from a writer who I know can easily write a poem, a screenplay, or a novel. I know I am in good hands. I won't just be in for a movie treat, but this might very well be a streamlined literary masterpiece as well, if there is such a thing.

For me, every script I put out there, I want it to be stamped with my blood. We create the mood. And we set the tone. Descriptive lines are a large part of that. Perhaps I am alone in that thinking, and that's ok.

As a side note, we can examine The Brigands of Rattleborge. Zahler. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if anyone knew who he was as a screenwriter before that script. The characters are good, the structure and conflict and all that is good. Very solid. Professional. But the thing that stands out to me, the thing which I believe launched his career, and got that project sold, got it all the attention it received, was the descriptive writing.

It wasn't stage direction. It wasn't a blueprint. It was real writing. And I personally found it incredibly refreshing.

I knew after that, everytime I read a Zahler script, this is him. I would like to leave that same imprint, although I am far from it.

In the end, there is no right or wrong. This is art. And to each his/her own.
Vango is offline   Reply With Quote