No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collab/credit question

Hi,
    Just wanted to get some preliminary advice. My friend optioned the rights to a one-woman show and asked me to come on as a writer. So this isn't my first rodeo and I'm aware of all the potential bad situations....but I really love the material and working on this would be right up my alley. My friend is a first time producer, but is an established editor and has major connections. The original playwright would also be involved.

My question is...what should I be aware of going into this? What credits should I ask for? Obviously written by? But should I also go for created by? Story by will probably go to the playwright. I think I will be working for free, but at what point should a contract be made. Before the pilot is written?

And yes, I do have a manager, but because this is a close friend, I don't really want to pull the "talk to my manager" yet. I'd prefer for us to have a chat in advance.

Thoughts?

Re: Collab/credit question

i assume "first-time producer" means not a WGA signatory (which would have more structured rules for what credits get assigned and to whom)?

the typical named credits would go:

[A SCRIPT]

written by [SCREENWRITER]

Based on [A PLAY] by [PLAYWRIGHT]

not sure how "created by" would be split in this situation though

yes, memorialize whatever agreement you reach with the producer before writing.

why aren't you having this conversation with your manager yourself, independent of whether the manager ultimately discusses anything with the producer?

Comment

Lol, I did mention it to my manager. Her quick response before she ran out was "put everything in writing." But honestly, sometimes I don't want to pull her into things too quickly. I've actually found it to be a turn off for some people/projects to have an over eager manager.

Comment

Originally posted by sfire8 View Post
        Lol, I did mention it to my manager. Her quick response before she ran out was "put everything in writing." But honestly, sometimes I don't want to pull her into things too quickly. I've actually found it to be a turn off for some people/projects to have an over eager manager.
        Over eager or not, PUT EVERYTHING in writing unless you literally don't care about anything. It doesn't matter if you are writing this with your own mother and your priest/rabbi/minister. Put it in writing for everyone's sake.

You can easily use something like this to do so: http://www.donedealpro.com/members/d...&section_id=13

It's there so you can tweak to your liking. But if it's not in writing, almost certainly something will be an issue later on. You can couch all in advance by saying, "I know this might seem ridiculous but I think we should do this..." As much as anything, it'll be about your tone and manner in how you bring this up.

And you should be aware of credit (get it no matter what especially if you are not being paid now), money/percentage, rights if it evolves into something else, say film to TV series, or TV series to play, etc. Just be pleasant, cool and calm and say, "This is for the best for everyone's sake," because you don't want "them" to feel uncomfortable later. Note to your friend, "It's for your (their) sake as much as anything." Point out to them, you don't want to see a friendship ruined -- then fake cry. (Okay, maybe not the last part, but hopefully what I am suggesting overall is clear.)

Up to you, of course. But that's really what I would suggest based on what you've posted. And none of this has to involve your manager really, other than if you want them to look at the prepared document before you personally send it to your friend.
        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-02-2018, 01:57 PM.
        Will
        Done Deal Pro
        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thank you, I really appreciate all your advice! So helpful! I love this board.

Comment

Working...
          X