Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of famous saying within the dialogue

Used the "Search" and found something from 2005 but not exactly what I'm looking for...

I want to use a common/famous saying/quotation within the dialogue such as, "Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand." (By Dr. Seuss, fyi)

Do I need to set it off in some special way? Quotation marks? Single, double? Do I have to give attribution because some of the sayings were not given an author on google?

What about if I have one character start it and another finish it as in:

Tom
    Christmas will always be as long as we stand--

Dick
    Heart to heart and hand in hand.

Is that appropriate?

Thanks.

Re: Use of famous saying within the dialogue

Some might say, it's a spec, so don't sweat it. But I think that not to acknowledge these things suggests you don't care, or are stupid and don't know about plagiarism law, or think that it doesn't matter because "it's just a spec".

I say, show that you're a smarta$$ and put in an attribution.

Still, as one of my readers said, of one of my scripts that was full of these (poetry quotes, etc.):

All those references would come out in the wash with a clearance report.
    Nothing came of this particular read, but I'm sure he meant, "come out" as in removed, or ensured that the attributions/rights are established correctly by all those expensive studio lawyers.

Comment

Re: Use of famous saying within the dialogue

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
      Used the "Search" and found something from 2005 but not exactly what I'm looking for...

I want to use a common/famous saying/quotation within the dialogue such as, "Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand." (By Dr. Seuss, fyi)

Do I need to set it off in some special way? Quotation marks? Single, double? Do I have to give attribution because some of the sayings were not given an author on google?

What about if I have one character start it and another finish it as in:

Tom
      Christmas will always be as long as we stand--

Dick
      Heart to heart and hand in hand.

Is that appropriate?

Thanks.

You just put in quotes, bro.

Comment

Working...
      X