Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The waiting is the hardest part...

Not really, but - curious what everyone's experience is on waiting for actors to commit to a project. It's exclusive to him. I'm sure everyone's mileage varies but I've mentally prepared for six months (cue up your "I waited two years..." stories) given the person's ability to do whatever the hell he wants.

Re: The waiting is the hardest part...

When waiting for contest results, you at least know when they will be announced. But waiting to hear back from a producer, manager, actor etc. (especially as an unrepped) could take days, weeks or months, you never know. It's that uncertainty that drives you crazy.

Six months are long, I hope you have several projects ongoing.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      Not really, but - curious what everyone's experience is on waiting for actors to commit to a project. It's exclusive to him. I'm sure everyone's mileage varies but I've mentally prepared for six months (cue up your "I waited two years..." stories) given the person's ability to do whatever the hell he wants.
      Like you said, I'm sure each case is its own beast... but I don't think it should take that long for one actor. I'm assuming this is the actor reading simply to decide whether to attach himself, correct? From my experience on the one project I've had that went through casting, if the actor was dragging their feet, the producers would prod their reps and eventually give a deadline before moving on to the next name on the list. It never sat with anyone for six months, let alone two years.

I want to say the entire casting process took maybe 10 months or so but that was going through a lot of names, getting passes, hammering out deals, etc. So it definitely is a waiting game and you need to train yourself to focus on other things, the next script, etc. But when things start to fall into place, there's little else as exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
        Like you said, I'm sure each case is its own beast... but I don't think it should take that long for one actor. I'm assuming this is the actor reading simply to decide whether to attach himself, correct? From my experience on the one project I've had that went through casting, if the actor was dragging their feet, the producers would prod their reps and eventually give a deadline before moving on to the next name on the list. It never sat with anyone for six months, let alone two years.

I want to say the entire casting process took maybe 10 months or so but that was going through a lot of names, getting passes, hammering out deals, etc. So it definitely is a waiting game and you need to train yourself to focus on other things, the next script, etc. But when things start to fall into place, there's little else as exciting.

I think it really depends on the project, the producers, etc. If it's a financed production with a start date that can back an offer to an actor, things seem to happen fairly quickly. If it's a young-ish producer with no money trying to attach that first big element to get the ball rolling... hooboy. That can take YEARS.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
          I think it really depends on the project, the producers, etc. If it's a financed production with a start date that can back an offer to an actor, things seem to happen fairly quickly. If it's a young-ish producer with no money trying to attach that first big element to get the ball rolling... hooboy. That can take YEARS.
          This would be a high ranking person at a very big agency taking it to their client. Given their involvement other internal elements represented at this company would be packaged and I'd assume this person would produce.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
            This would be a high ranking person at a very big agency taking it to their client. Given their involvement other internal elements represented at this company would be packaged and I'd assume this person would produce.
            Hey, you should absolutely take the shot! Sometimes these things work out! But it doesn't hurt to be aware that, unless the movie is financed and/or the producer has a strong personal relationship with the actor, "an agent is taking it to their movie star client" results in nothing ~98% of the time. So forget about it and keep taking shots. As someone told me about Hollywood, "Expect nothing, and sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised."

Comment

Chances are you might be waiting the rest of your life, since the talent might not ever respond. Or even read the script. They have multiple levels of approval before it ever reaches them, and someone can pass anywhere along the chain and you'll never hear about it.

I'm in the same boat with a well-known producer, who took my script to an A-list actor. I know it'll be months if I ever hear back, if at all. Best thing I can do is go about my business of writing other material and not ever thinking about it.

Comment

All down to the money I’m afraid. If it’s financed it’s different rules.

I’ve a project in the independent sector. Director is a big time commercials guy with one Oscar nommed short and a feature under his belt that went to Sundance and Toronto a few years back with Dennis Hopper in it. Producer has a number of movies and tv shows on his CV and is well regarded. Budget is under $5 million. Fassbender passed on it within two weeks. That was back in June. They’ve been approaching other actors since. No joy yet. The film is part financed already and an A-list actor would help get it over the line, hence the hold up. My British agents even sent them a list of actors interested in the lead role but they weren’t interested in them as they wouldn’t move the dial I guess. They’d hope to shoot in November. Clearly that’s not happening. Just have to ignore it and see what pops up. Mine’s an Irish set film. It has a smaller pool of A-list actors to choose from. I read somewhere that it took Perrier’s Bounty 7 years to get made even though Murphy was attached all the way through.

Comment

Anyone who quotes Tom Petty is ok by me. We have a producer who has sent our script out a A list director. They went to school together. He's promised to read and get back to her within 2 weeks. Time almost up.

Comment

Enjoyed reading all of your responses. Thanks. The answer in this case was 3.5 weeks.

Comment

I'm currently at around 9 weeks waiting on an actress to just read a script that her team absolutely loved.

Comment

Working...
                      X