No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Some Advice...

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    yes, that was one of the sticking points i wanted to keep all rewrite rights. that's not always possible, i understand that, but it they want to give you nothing, you should be able to walk away with the work you did.

that'll always be something to fight for.
    Honestly, at this point, I don't care. I'm taking the rights with me outright 100%. No offense. It's my sh!t. I wrote this sh!t, not you... bye! I used to be scared to speak up for myself, not no more.

Just tell them up front "Listen, bruh, any notes I do come with me. Feel me? Cool. Now let's do some shots, what's your fave tequila?"

I firmly believe this nowadays. As writers we're often WAY too scared of these producers, esp when they're big. They take advantage of our time. LOTS OF TIME! Fukk that. I'm done with that. I've learned the hard way (giving away YEARS for FREE!)

I'm fUN AF to work with. Not implying to be the "D-Word" (difficult), but you own your work until the day you sell it. Oh, is there a check in my hand, cool, NP, now I'll walk. That, or be a script monkey, your choice.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      I would say your best case is to query with the next spec that is in the same genre as Tracker and Wasteland that you said would be ready in a few months. One you said Taken/Salt with female lead, but Salt already had the female lead, so i think I lost you there for a second... Maybe it was Taken meets Salt...

I don't get the rush to get a manager, since well it's hard anyways and even harder now... might as well wait until you're fully ready.

I of course am well aware of Tinder and expressed my thoughts on and off the board -- best thing about it is it's brand new material. But I still stand by my querying in a genre you don't love love love isn't the best move for you. What do others think?

However, if you stick to this plan, I would avoid querying any companies with any connection to Tracker or Wasteland manager wise. I can see reaching to people you already spoke with on production side, but I don't know why the script wasn't optioned during that month... so maybe it's a bad idea.

In general, querying with new specs is the best way to go. The easiest way.

I've gone back to the well and like others said it never goes well. How often do couples get back together and it goes well?
      Yup. That!

I have a script that my buddy (writer/director) is like "bruh, that's you best script. I fukkin love it, keep sending it out." Nah, bro, it's old, moving on. You wanna direct it? Here, fukkin take it bro. I trust you to do whatever you want with it, but I gotta keep it movin'.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
        I wonder -- do all the managers solely take projects to the production side of their shingle ?
        Can only speak from my own experiences here. I've had a few managers where their company were also successful prod cos including my current one. Sometimes they'd want to show a project to the development side if they felt it fit their company's remit, sometimes not so much. Never had an impact on us taking it out to folks either way.

Comment

Lots of great advice on here. To echo others, don't over think the rep thing. Reach out to as many as possible. Should that lead to a conversation with a potential rep further down the line, then you can see if it feels like a good fit for you.

In terms of the past relationship, that's a great connection and IMHO I'd approach them with a new spec (not the old one) and ideally have it in the same genre as the one that they dug. Like others have said, definitely mention your last one though to jog their memory. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
            Lots of great advice on here. To echo others, don't over think the rep thing. Reach out to as many as possible. Should that lead to a conversation with a potential rep further down the line, then you can see if it feels like a good fit for you.

In terms of the past relationship, that's a great connection and IMHO I'd approach them with a new spec (not the old one) and ideally have it in the same genre as the one that they dug. Like others have said, definitely mention your last one though to jog their memory. Just my two cents.
            thanks, Mintclub, and everyone who has contributed, i appreciate the sage advice.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
            X