Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I've Created A Free Script Hosting Website; Script Revolution

There's not a great deal to say really. It's all pretty simple. I've created a website where writers can add all their scripts for free, complete with a bio about themselves. Anyone can visit the site and select from over thirty different options to filter content. When someone views a script they also get the writer's bio and all their other scripts. Plus the writer is notified via email who's downloaded their work.

There's some other features too. Members can follow writers to stay updated on their latest activity. Members can also bookmark scripts they like ready to come back and read at a later date. There's also a private messaging system. You don't have to upload your script pdf, you can just upload the details about the script if you prefer and then handle your own read requests.

All scripts are listed randomly. There's no ratings or reviews. The ethos is about discovery and not promotion. There's enough services out there trying to rate material. This is more like an archive. I've created what I as a screenwriter have been wanting to see for some time.

I fund it all myself and I've made it all myself. It doesn't cost me much to run. There's no real end game. No plans to make money from it. I just want to make a positive difference to the filmmaking world and I think this might be the best way for me to do it.

It's best suited to those scripts that have been put in a draw but still may appeal to the right person. It's also ideal for short scripts which are always in high demand.

Since I launched it a couple of weeks back, 83 people have signed up and around 140 scripts have been uploaded to the database. Obviously it's going to take some time to get established and for any success stories to come out of it, but I'm pretty proud of that. UPDATE: There's now over a 1200 scripts uploaded and over 608 people signed up.

DDP members are of course more than welcome to check it out, sign up, and add scripts. Although I do appreciate and respect most of you guys are looking for something a bit more focused on the established prodcos, studios, and industry members. The more the merrier though.

The link to the website itself is www.scriptrevolution.com
    Last edited by CJ Walley; 04-11-2017, 01:05 AM.
    Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Re: So I've Created A Free Script Hosting Website; Script Revolution

Cool site... I like the spirit behind it.

Comment

I just posted a couple of scripts.

The site is pretty groovy.

Comment

Very cool; book marked for later use
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, great to see some DDP members signing up.

Clint's done a great job of setting up his bio page script pages. You can see an example of one of them here; http://www.scriptrevolution.com/scri...r-us-from-evil
          Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

I like it!

Very nice concept, and it looks good.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
              I like it!

Very nice concept, and it looks good.
              Thanks for that.

Comment

Great job! However, I feel that someone should create a script database with these certain criteria:

1. Any writer can create an account and upload their works there for FREE.

2. The writer can choose to let readers download their script for ANY AMOUNT they desire. Therefore, amateur writers will probably do well to start their scripts off as free downloads. However, if you get better/popular/have scripts in high demand, you can charge a nominal fee for each download. (Even $1 or $2 helps). I believe ebooks are selling for slightly more, why can't a decent, entertaining screenplay command such a fee too?

3. How do you get people to read your script? I think the answer is the other writers on the site. Maybe a requirement for membership is to download, read and feedback/rate an X number of scripts a month. (I'm guessing X can be 2, 3, 4?). Reading a couple or so scripts a month doesn't sound so bad.

4. There has to be script ratings. However, these should be split into at least these two categories:

Overall (Every rating since your very first uploaded draft); &
                Latest Draft (Every rating for your latest script uploaded in say, the last 3 months).

This will not handicap you as much since the Latest Draft rating can be used as a barometer by new readers to take a fresh look.

5. There could be a feedback box/message/email system for readers to voice their opinions or thoughts on the script, so the writer can improve on it.

6. There can even be a donation option to the writer if possible. This platform can possibly be a different way to let semi-pro writers earn some pocket money. And it costs nothing.

7. If this site takes off and a particular script gets high praise and ratings, the big fish (production studios and what not) might take note. The creator of this site can then stand to benefit with deals/competition ads/etc. from various parties.

Thanks for reading and sorry for hijacking this thread, if I did. Again, it's all just a long shot. Setting up such a platform (especially where I live) won't come easy or cheap. But the benefits to writers are enormous. We can potentially bypass the middlemen (lower/mid tier competitions) and their fees to improve our craft and possibly more.

Comment

Good job. Keep those *other people* on their toes

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
                    Thanks for reading and sorry for hijacking this thread, if I did.
                    No problem at all. I'm more than happy for people to put forward their views on what they'd ideally like to see out there. Script Revolution is my version of the ideal which I'm thankfully in the privileged position to make a reality. My view is that the subjective cannot be objectively rated and that the technology is there to match writers and readers on each side without the need to charge or filter either. I may be wrong. I just wish it was easier for individuals to implement their ideas and see if they work. That way we'd see a gradual evolution toward an ideal.

In a way that's kind of beginning to happen. Every month I seem to stumble upon a new platform for screenwriters. I connected the other day with someone starting a new social network for filmmakers. Hoping to form a relationship that links writers and their scripts back and forth. That's what's needed really. Break down the walls rather than build them up.

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                    Good job. Keep those *other people* on their toes
                    Hey! Nearly 1% of the time they are successful every time.

Comment

As a graphic and brand designer, I have some concerns.

Any impression of quality and professionalism is compromised by the largely amateur images alongside the scripts.

The site's logo has a disjointed clip-art appearance.

The site's name is unlikely to reassure those in the movie business. I would have chosen a more sober name, such as:

SCRIPT NET
                      SCRIPT WORKS
                      SCRIPT SERVE
                      SCRIPT SERVER
                      SCRIPT STAGE
                      SCRIPT LOUNGE
                      SCRIPT DINER
                      SCRIPT LOBBY
                      SCRIPT VAULT
                      SCRIPT RIGHT
                      SCRIPT STREAM
                      SCRIPT BASE
                      SCRIPT HOME
                      SCRIPTSTEAD
                      SCRIPT HOST
                      SCRIPT HOLD
                      SCRIPT WAVE
                      SCRIPT STOCK
                      SCRIPT STACK
                      SCRIPT MINE
                      SCRIPT FEED

Those are just what came to mind in a few minutes, and some are not so suitable. It would need longer consideration, but I think that Scriptserve and Scriptstage hit the right note.
                      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                        As a graphic and brand designer, I have some concerns.

Any impression of quality and professionalism is compromised by the largely amateur images alongside the scripts.

The site's logo has a disjointed clip-art appearance.

The site's name is unlikely to reassure those in the movie business. I would have chosen a more sober name, such as:

SCRIPT NET
                        SCRIPT WORKS
                        SCRIPT SERVE
                        SCRIPT SERVER
                        SCRIPT STAGE
                        SCRIPT LOUNGE
                        SCRIPT DINER
                        SCRIPT LOBBY
                        SCRIPT VAULT
                        SCRIPT RIGHT
                        SCRIPT STREAM
                        SCRIPT BASE
                        SCRIPT HOME
                        SCRIPTSTEAD
                        SCRIPT HOST
                        SCRIPT HOLD
                        SCRIPT WAVE
                        SCRIPT STOCK
                        SCRIPT STACK
                        SCRIPT MINE
                        SCRIPT FEED

Those are just what came to mind in a few minutes, and some are not so suitable. It would need longer consideration, but I think that Scriptserve and Scriptstage hit the right note.
                        Interesting views. Would be interested to know how many other user feel the same.

Comment

A quick update with the first month's stats;

118 members now signed up
                          195 scripts now in the database
                          Over 14,500 page views this month
                          809 script downloads

Comment

First Script Revolution success story I know about; Luke Oliver has optioned his script Table For One via Script Revolution. See his profile here; http://www.scriptrevolution.com/profiles/luke-oliver

Comment

Thank you! this looks good!
                              www.imdb.me/alexlora
                              www.alexlora.com
                              www.facebook.com/alexloracercos

Comment

Working...
                              X