No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up now?

Hi everyone, still me, still with that ex-terrorist-script
    (To prevent the bombing of a NATO peace conference, an ex-terrorist must work with the woman whose husband he killed. But the conspiracy he discovers is not one made by his old terror group.)

I know I've given up on this sometimes already, but now I seriously wonder if it's time to SERIOUSLY give up
    I queried some companies freestyle (using addresses from ImdbPRO), used VPF and Harbak's e-query service. All in all I got maybe 10 or 15 reads. I heard back from 3 of them, the others do not even respond.
    So, the thing might just be ... well... crap... or it's just not marketable.
    It's now on Amazon studios and so far won 13 out of 28 premise battles. Evaluation period is still going. But I don't have much hope.

Of course I love my story very much. Which writer does not. I think about turning it into a novel, but I wonder as well, if this would be any MORE marketable. Even if I self-publish.

What can I do? I'm sure you've faced similar situations with your projects and know how I feel at the moment. What do you think, is the novel thing an option, shall I just try further with VPF?

Thanks in advance from a very sad writer at the moment...

Re: giving up now?

Did you get anyone's feedback on it? Did you only want to write this one script?
    what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Hey Vance,

Giving up is up to you - and if you constantly battle it then maybe you should - but there's nothing you've said that makes me think you should.

You've read how people toil away for years at this - trying to get a nibble, constantly getting overlooked, and improving their writing along the way so a handful of read requests is not an anomaly AFIK. The figure I hear is 9 scripts on average until that first sale. Can you imagine how much querying had to take place over that time?

And yeah, it could be that the premise (or the story) isn't that great and doesn't grab people, it happens (not just in writing too) but IMO you need more evidence than one script and a few months or shopping it around before you conclude that you or the script is no good.

It's probably going to be a long slog and most don't make it - if you haven't got the stomach for the fight (and many here have hit this wall in the past - some have bounced back, some have walked away for good) then yes, quitting would be a wise move, but it's only a decision you can make and as said, I've seen nothing in your post that gives any indication that your experience is any different to those good writers with good scripts.
      Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-08-2012, 05:12 AM.
      M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
        Did you get anyone's feedback on it? Did you only want to write this one script?
        I'm currently writing script # 3, with a historical topic. I'd have still ideas for more scripts. This one is just one of my favorite stories. I'd really love to throw something in which has not the black/white terrorist scheme in it we often see.

Feedback: well, I got some encouraging lines from a producer who read the first draft of the thing. Since then, I'm afraid all those answers were just form letters. I'm waiting what the guys from Amazon have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by VanceVanCleaf View Post
          Hi everyone, still me, still with that ex-terrorist-script
          (To prevent the bombing of a NATO peace conference, an ex-terrorist must work with the woman whose husband he killed. But the conspiracy he discovers is not one made by his old terror group.)

I know I've given up on this sometimes already, but now I seriously wonder if it's time to SERIOUSLY give up
          I queried some companies freestyle (using addresses from ImdbPRO), used VPF and Harbak's e-query service. All in all I got maybe 10 or 15 reads. I heard back from 3 of them, the others do not even respond.
          So, the thing might just be ... well... crap... or it's just not marketable.
          It's now on Amazon studios and so far won 13 out of 28 premise battles. Evaluation period is still going. But I don't have much hope.

Of course I love my story very much. Which writer does not. I think about turning it into a novel, but I wonder as well, if this would be any MORE marketable. Even if I self-publish.

What can I do? I'm sure you've faced similar situations with your projects and know how I feel at the moment. What do you think, is the novel thing an option, shall I just try further with VPF?

Thanks in advance from a very sad writer at the moment...

Cheer up lad!

Put that baby away, take some time out, and then come back and write 5 spanking new screenplays in a row, don't think about it, just get on with it.

You'll be over your obsessing, I have been there, we all have, and it's best to just move on.

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 06-08-2012, 10:14 AM. Reason: missing letter, I'm too fussy.
          Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Enter it in a bunch of contests, big and small. See how high it places... and work on another project while you wait for results.
            "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

I'm working on other projects, so it's not the question giving up as screenwriter, it's that script.

By the way, someone just said me the logline is pretty lame. So I came up with a new one. I post it up there where this belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by VanceVanCleaf View Post
                I'm working on other projects, so it's not the question giving up as screenwriter, it's that script.

By the way, someone just said me the logline is pretty lame. So I came up with a new one. I post it up there where this belongs.
                Loglines don't matter in contests - and you can get notes in some contests at no extra charge. You need to know why your script isn't quite there - contests will answer your questions.
                "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

What you do next depends entirely on what you have in the hopper. If you don't have much that interests you, then maybe the novel idea is the way to go, although that will take a lot of time to complete.

If you go the novel route, though, you might figure out some places where your script could be better, which might lead you back to rewriting the thing and delaying the novel for a while....which I think is okay.

But, if you have a couple of other screenplays you are itching to write, I say move on to those and come back to this one after you are sick and depressed by the lack of a positive response to those. At least that's what I do.
                  On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

The whole Hollywood system is broken, if you don't have manager/agent getting a script to a production studio is nearly impossible. And agent/managers usually do not accept new clients if you are a no name writer - Catch-22 anyone?

Big managers never respond, low level ones told me that they do not have contacts to sell such a big tentpole script. It's a no win situation. If you don't have contacts or at least 10% good luck to be read by accident by someone BIG, you're doomed, sad but truth. I don't buy this nonsense spread by many writers in this forum "great writing will always get noticed", rubbish.

What you will do is your choice in the end, there is no receipt. I personally will self publish my novels, found a great painter, and now we've been preparing comic books based on the novels. I also have friends in the VFX industry and will make catchy teaser trailers (when I manage to save money from my daytime job). I may not succeed but at least I'll try!

So basically you're on your own mate, but self-pity is never an option.
                    Minds are like parachutes: they only function when open!

Comment

My opinion: Put it away in a drawer. Forget about it. Go work on other scripts. Build a portfolio. Get some clout. Make a career. And one day, when you're Mister A List, bust that puppy out and give it to your buddy the Studio Executive, who by that point will salivate over everything you have to give him.

In the meantime, forget it, Jim. She's dead.
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by fotonchev View Post
                        The whole Hollywood system is broken, if you don't have manager/agent getting a script to a production studio is nearly impossible. And agent/managers usually do not accept new clients if you are a no name writer - Catch-22 anyone?

Big managers never respond, low level ones told me that they do not have contacts to sell such a big tentpole script. It's a no win situation. If you don't have contacts or at least 10% good luck to be read by accident by someone BIG, you're doomed, sad but truth. I don't buy this nonsense spread by many writers in this forum "great writing will always get noticed", rubbish.

What you will do is your choice in the end, there is no receipt. I personally will self publish my novels, found a great painter, and now we've been preparing comic books based on the novels. I also have friends in the VFX industry and will make catchy teaser trailers (when I manage to save money from my daytime job). I may not succeed but at least I'll try!

Unfortunately, a manager passing on material is not going to be because the project is "too big" or "too expensive". That's just a polite way of saying no. If a manager thinks a project is going to be viable in the marketplace, they will jump on it, great writing really will always get noticed if it is circulated.

Comment

Originally posted by fotonchev View Post

I think there are some accurate ideas here but it's also a bit too pessimistic. I had pursued screenwriting for many years and had been considered and strung along by many managers who after a few scripts, wouldn't take me on. I'd say if you're thinking of giving up, do it. Then come back to it. Take a break. I am now coming back to writing after almost 2 years of taking a break from it and I think I am better for it, and hopefully a more desirable writer.

I'd recommend pursuing another creative pursuit. I happened to be living in New York and not Los Angeles, so I took advantage of the comedy scene here. I have been putting all my energy into comedy because although it was not my principal genre as a screenwriter, people have always said I should go into it. Of all my scripts, the ones I have had the most success with have been Comedies. Now, I've been reviewed by numerous well-respected websites and seem to be on my way which should help in selling myself.

I used to think: well, you can't make it in the business unless you've already made it in another business. Now I am starting to think, maybe that's true.

Comment

Re: Giving up now?

Hm... I've already the feeling not to get anywhere with ANYTHING in my life. I try this in the hope to get that... and so on. In the end I have nothing.

Nonetheless, concerning this script: I ask my German publisher if he'd be interested in the subject. If yes, I'll start writing the novel AFTER I've completed the screenplay I'm working on right now. In the meantime I can still ponder about the logline and whom to bother with the script.

Comment

Re: Giving up now?

i just posted my suggestion on your logline thread. flip the protagonists and make it more marketable to a US audience.

Comment

Working...
                              X