Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Black Man in San Francisco

although not easy to categorize or describe -- two friends try to reclaim the stately Victorian mansion that one of them grew up in as the SF neighborhood around it becomes more and more gentrified -- the delight in this film comes from the deadpan tone and general weirdness in which the material is approached. somewhere between Barry Jenkins "Bruhs In The Hood" and some truly Lynch-ian camera work (that sometimes also goes overboard with its showiness), the resonance of the men's friendship stays with you even though they don't get the usual satisfying resolution to the home's ownership.

Re: The Last Black Man in San Francisco

trailer looks amazing. definitely on the watch list.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I've lived in SF for decades. I have seen this film twice now. The first time I saw it, I cried all the way through. I just saw it again yesterday at the Alamo Theater in the Mission. It was sold out - they let my friend and me take the two handicapped seats because no wheelchairs showed up.

I can't pin down why the film moves me so much. I just find every moment poignant and beautiful and original. My friend found it slow, but I didn't. I'm familiar with all the locations and even some of the street people, like Tim the homeless opera singer who I've talked to at length. He had a promising music career before falling victim to crack.

Obviously my love for this film is deeply personal so I probably can't evaluate it objectively. However, in my opinion it's the best film of the year so far and I hope it gets remembered at awards season.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
        I've lived in SF for decades. I have seen this film twice now. The first time I saw it, I cried all the way through. I just saw it again yesterday at the Alamo Theater in the Mission. It was sold out - they let my friend and me take the two handicapped seats because no wheelchairs showed up.

I can't pin down why the film moves me so much. I just find every moment poignant and beautiful and original. My friend found it slow, but I didn't. I'm familiar with all the locations and even some of the street people, like Tim the homeless opera singer who I've talked to at length. He had a promising music career before falling victim to crack.

Obviously my love for this film is deeply personal so I probably can't evaluate it objectively. However, in my opinion it's the best film of the year so far and I hope it gets remembered at awards season.

Late Night Writer
        I've got to see this. I've lived in SF since 2004, and on Alamo Square since 2007. Which is part of the Western Addition -- where the gentrifying has been pushing people out. I have a feeling it will be hard for me to watch.

Comment

Bring tissues, LostFootage. ;o)

I've lived in the Mission/Noe Valley area since the 90s. When I moved here it was all artists and Latinx families. I'd already been gentrified out of Cole Valley. Lately the gentrification of the Mission has been extreme... not to mention the suspicious fires that have driven out long-term tenants.

I see that the film is showing again at the Metreon, as well as the Alamo. I may catch it again because, well, I just can't get it out of my mind. And I don't need to see yet another Spider-Man.

Late Night Writer.

Comment

I hear you, LateNightWriter!

I think this will be hard for me to watch! But I'll see it.

Comment

Working...
            X