No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview

Hey guys --

Fellow DDer Justin Sloan interviewed me recently and posted it on his site, bayareascreenwriters.org.

Somehow I'd forgotten to mention it!

Check it out if you are so inclined. Or don't. Just thought I'd mention

Re: Interview

Cool stuff...thanks for sharing.

Best of luck to ya!
    The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Exciting news Grumpy, good luck with it all.

Comment

Thanks! I just try not think of any of it and keep working on new stuff because...you know, the way this industry is: all those balls in the air can so easily just come thudding to the ground.

Comment

Way to go. Congrats on your success.

Comment

Thanks, nativeson.

Comment

Great interview, glad all of the hard work is paying off. And it's kind of cool seeing some of those titles that I recognized before you "got found" so to speak. Best of luck with everything going forward.
                Eric
                www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                  Hey guys --

Fellow DDer Justin Sloan interviewed me recently and posted it on his site, bayareascreenwriters.org.

Somehow I'd forgotten to mention it!

Check it out if you are so inclined. Or don't. Just thought I'd mention
                  Very cool. I especially like that you're doing features AND television because that's what I want to do. We, I mean (my husband and I are writing partners).

What do you think of your manager? I'm sending out queries so I'm always fishing for more info. PM me if you're more comfortable.
                  writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                  twitter.com/susanlbridges
                  pendantaudio.com

Comment

Thanks, Harbak!

Susan --I can PM you a more thorough response if you want but let me just say this: if there's something I feel I omitted in that interview it was a major plug for my manager. She's frickin' amazing. But the thing is that you have to earn her trust/respect first, and THEN she really works her tail off for you. It took me a while to understand this. She needs to see that you're not just a one-trick pony and can keep feeding her commercial material and don't get discouraged by constant rejection. It was interesting because it got to a point, back in December, I think, where I was like, Why do I even need a manager? And she told me managers help in various way but if I wanted I was free to go off on my own. Then in the ensuing months things really started picking up for me and I brought her some potential deals and kept sending her stuff she thought was commercial and then one day she gave me a call and said, "We need to have a serious talk." haha... And my heart sunk because I seriously thought I was headed for some kind of a break-up speech, but her next words were, "You're going to make it. I'm absolutely sure of it. And I want my name on all of your stuff." And that was it. From that moment on she officially became "my manager" and it was like night and day. I mean, she even sends stuff out on weekends for me, when she's sick, etc... I NEVER have to wait more than, maybe, an hour, to get a response to an email. She calls when it's something dicey or involving a greater long-term strategy or an ethical issue. Her network is big and she has real "ins" with the major studios and prodco's and literally within minutes can get stuff into places that would otherwise ignore me. So yeah -- she's GOOD. Highly recommended.

Comment

That's awesome!

I've come to the point where I realize my skill isn't quite there/ ready for a manager, but when I am I certainly hope for that sort of relationship! Congrats on finding it!
                      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Thanks, Justin! Yeah I think it all comes down to who is the best manager (or agent) for you personally. Obviously -- has to be someone who loves your writing and believes in you and is responsive.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                          Thanks, Justin! Yeah I think it all comes down to who is the best manager (or agent) for you personally. Obviously -- has to be someone who loves your writing and believes in you and is responsive.
                          Thanks for being so thorough with your response. We're soooo ready for a manager now. We work very hard and our material over the past year has really been great. Also, we were seriously considered by UTA, which was a big self-esteem boost even though they ultimately passed.

I'm confident we'll find someone who really is on board with our style and what we want to do soon.
                          writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                          twitter.com/susanlbridges
                          pendantaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Susanlbridges View Post
                            Thanks for being so thorough with your response. We're soooo ready for a manager now. We work very hard and our material over the past year has really been great. Also, we were seriously considered by UTA, which was a big self-esteem boost even though they ultimately passed.

I'm confident we'll find someone who really is on board with our style and what we want to do soon.
                            That's great about UTA. Was that for a feature or a TV script? What do you guys write? If it's comedy (for some reason my attention span only seems to last for comedy), I'd be happy to read something if you want and maybe pass it on to whomever...

Comment

Working...
                            X