Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little known managers on TrackingB.com

Agreed. There are a lot of writers on there to be sure (once in a while the comments get very... lame, ignorant, etc) but a bunch of the junior dev execs I know are on there.

I find trackingb a really useful addition to the real tracking groups I'm on, if only because it has a search function and doesn't have a lot of chatter about how to get a ressie at Mozza.

Comment

Joealt9 writes,

"Personally, I wouldn't rely on trackingb, donedeal or any site to screen reps I was considering querying.

-
      My philosophy when searching for a rep has always been to let any and everybody read and then go from there.

-
      If the rep shows interest I'll then start extensively researching them, identifying red flags, asking them the right questions regarding what they can do for my career and gauging our rapport.

-
      Reps like to say "writers can transform.- Well reps can transform, too.-

I find your comments interesting, joe, but a bit confusing. For example, isn't your disclaimer of not relying on trackingb, etc, in a consideration of what reps to query a contradiction of your second sentence, to "let any and everybody read and go from there?- If your philosophy is to "let any and everybody read,- then trackingb & Co. should remain on the writer's list as viable resource options.

And does it not seem a bit presumptuous for most aspiring writers to "screen- reps? In most cases, the newbie is the one being screened by the rep. If you're a John Logan I can see your point, but a newbie taking such a position is more likely to alienate a rep who may be able to launch a career.

Comment

I think Joe has taken a break from the Farnsworth, so let me chime in.

He's saying use due diligence and never rely on one source of information as the be all, end all. Use all sites, google, ask friends, books, etc. He's saying be smart and do RESEARCH.

You keep assuming just because someone says they are a manager they are legit. That every manager is built the same. Even the legit ones might be wrong for you if say they only do horror movies and you write comedy. Or they haven't sold a script in 5 years. Again RESEARCH. KNOWLEDGE.

Like picking a college. A car. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with ether, but doesn't mean they are right for you. Using your logic, you would be offended by anyone that asks a question to a Harvard tour guide. Or dares asks how much gas mileage the BMW gets.

Did you go through life never asking any questions?

Comment

I get your point, Bono, but it just seems to me that newbie's usually find themselves in the situation of being beggars rather than choosers. N'est pas?

In other words, a newbie should work with an unknown factor (as long as it is not too futile) until he gets a better one.

But I was addressing what I thought were some interesting yet confusing statements. I accept your interpretation.

Comment

Agreed. Most of the time writers can't get a rep behind them, but you want to be prepared in case an offer comes your way.

I jumped in blindly with my first manager (well I went to their website and saw a few movies I knew) as I had very newbie eyes.

Always know who you are going to bed with as best you can. And you'll never know 100% until you jump in if it's going to work.

But my experience so far has been reps read a script, 99% of them pass, and the other 1% that show interest we meet in person, talk on the phone, exchange emails. They are for sure vetting us and in turn we vet them.

It's a back and forth. And it helps to have info going on. Such as what movies they have done (so you can ask about them), what clients they have ,past sales, anything you can find that helps you learn more about them BEFORE you speak with them. Then you can put two and two together. And they appreciate that you are aware of what they have done.

So Joe's simple formula is let anyone read the script, but if someone shows interest in working with you find out everything you can about them so you know if you want to work with them if an offer comes in. Or being optimistic if you have interests from more than one manager, you can then figure out the best fit for you.

I used to think having a rep was the end all. But from my experience, talking to Joe and others -- the key is to find the right rep for you. And that isn't always the one with flashy credits.

Comment

Working...
            X