Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tootsie, Revisited

Haven't seen this film in its entirety in over twenty five years. Had to see it and read its blueprint for a story I'm working out. Amazing. One of those comedies where the structure is arguably funnier than the set pieces.

Don't see those much today. Such a smart, thoughtfully written screenplay.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: Tootsie, Revisited

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
    Haven't seen this film in its entirety in over twenty five years. Had to see it and read its blueprint for a story I'm working out. Amazing. One of those comedies where the structure is arguably funnier than the set pieces.

Don't see those much today. Such a smart, thoughtfully written screenplay.
    I agree. TOOTSIE, ARTHUR, QUICK CHANGE - great movies.
    Turner, Joseph. No middle initial.

I'm doing a survey. Do you believe the Condor is really an endangered species?

Comment

TOOTSIE was one of the films featured in HOW TO MAKER A GOOD SCRIPT GREAT by Linda Seger.

Great example of how to incorporate the main`plot with lots of subplots.

Jeff Shurtleff
      "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Sorry, but I wouldn't put QUICK CHANGE in the same league as TOOTSIE. ARTHUR was closer, but TOOTSIE was the best of those three.

Comment

I think Tootsie is mentioned in every screenwriting book ever written.
          Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
          Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

And perhaps someone else can verify, but I seem to remember that Bill Murray's character was a late addition to help get through the slow periods.

In any case, yeah, Tootsie rocked!

Midnite

Comment

I would not have hired Murray but Hoffman wanted him in.

Lange, Garr, Durning, and Coleman were all outstanding.

Miss Pollack. RIP.
              "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
              - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Must catch Tootsie again.

I saw Arthur recently and, for me, it was horribly dated and very disappointing. Maybe it's because I don't find someone who is drunk all through a movie particularly appealing any more, though I remember laughing like a drain when I first saw it.

Thought Liza Minelli was still great, though.
                TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Co-incidentally, I just watched Arthur for the fourth time. It did not seem as funny as the first three times. I cannot explain this.
                  We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Easy to explain. Mel Gibson snatched the fun out of the "getting pissed" craze.
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

The scene in the restaurant where Hoffman first sits down with his agent as Dorothy Michaels is one of my all time favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                        I saw Arthur recently and, for me, it was horribly dated and very disappointing.
                        Maybe they should remake it now... with - I dunno - Russell Brand?

Oh, wait!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/...5875-22409011/

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                          Maybe they should remake it now... with - I dunno - Russell Brand?

Oh, wait!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/...5875-22409011/
                          I'm sure I'll like this one. Then, in 30 years time, I'll find it horribly dated and very disappointing.
                          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

TOOTSIE is freaking hilarious and I hope it never gets remade. So many great scenes, like the one where his agent is telling him he can't even play a tomato in a soup commercial without trying to rewrite the stage directions. Love this flick. Great soundtrack too.

Comment

Pollack was criminally underrated. Actually my favorite in the movie.

Michael (Hoffman): But that actually happened!

George (Pollack): Who gives a ****! Nobody wants to pay twenty dollars to watch people living next to chemical waste. They can see that in New Jersey!
                              Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X