Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oblivion

Saw it last night. I liked it, but didn't love it. The visuals were stunning, especially the scenes of a wasted Earth. Really well done and realistic.

SPOILER (sort of):

For me, strangely, it lacked emotional depth. I thought Olga Kurylenko was terribly miscast and had zero chemistry with Tom Cruise. Therefore I just couldn't really bring myself to care about anything he did to save her. I dunno. Just a personal opinion, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
      Anyone saying this film is **** doesn't know ****.
      **** = good

Comment

Originally posted by versed View Post
        ...was terribly miscast and had zero chemistry with Tom Cruise. Therefore I just couldn't really bring myself to care about anything he did to save her. I dunno. Just a personal opinion, obviously.
        When has Cruise had good chemistry with anyone but himself? I've been joking that the movie had about as much depth as Tom Cruise's mirror... but I suppose you could say that the movie itself is his vanity.
        Last edited by Signal30; 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

versed: I agree. And strangely, I felt Cruise had more chemistry with Andrea Riseborough. Couldn't help thinking those actresses should have switched roles.

Comment

I think the reason I liked it so much is because this was a fully original endeavor even though it borrowed heavily on other films.

This wasn't an Avengers, Prometheus or a Hunger games, which had a prepackaged audience. This was the director's vision, a labor of love that he'd been developing as a graphic novel for quite some time. And while it didn't deliver the perfect film going experience we usually want. I see the passion and dedication to make this film and I can't help but think it deserves merit.

I'm a fan of the underdog I guess.
            http://www.mortalremainsthemovie.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
              I think the reason I liked it so much is because this was a fully original endeavor even though it borrowed heavily on other films.

This wasn't an Avengers, Prometheus or a Hunger games, which had a prepackaged audience. This was the director's vision, a labor of love that he'd been developing as a graphic novel for quite some time. And while it didn't deliver the perfect film going experience we usually want. I see the passion and dedication to make this film and I can't help but think it deserves merit.

Yeah I agree, it's refreshing in that sense. The other thing is, most sci-fi tends to go for a dark and gritty look, but this went the opposite, and again, that's refreshing.

Comment

[...]

This is satire, right?

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Ripping off multiple sources takes so much more creativity that just adapting one?
                  "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I retract the word FULLY from Original endeavor.

and I don't think there is a piece of modern literature, music, film etc.. That hasn't been inspired by something.. The word original should be extinct.
                    http://www.mortalremainsthemovie.com/

Comment

All you haters, be silent. OBLIVION is pure genius. Riveting stuff. Best movie since PROMETHEUS. So clever! Who needs story? We got FX!

Comment

At one point I leaned over to my wife and said "Oh, so it's "WALL*E", "Moon", and "Planet of the Apes", eh?

This was before it was also "Independence Day" and "The Matrix", though.

I believe Kosinski is pretty much exactly the same age I am, and it shows.

Enjoyable, nonetheless. Very good art department. A lot like "Tron:Legacy" in the way lots of ideas are just never even close to explored at all, and the plot took a lot of easy roads.

Comment

Poor Victoria. Her creators didn't seem to like her character... she kind of was getting screwed every step of the way.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                            **** = good
                            not so much...

Comment

Originally posted by MoonHill View Post
                              At one point I leaned over to my wife and said "Oh, so it's "WALL*E", "Moon", and "Planet of the Apes", eh?

This was before it was also "Independence Day" and "The Matrix", though.

I believe Kosinski is pretty much exactly the same age I am, and it shows.
                              Well, the story was written before Moon and Wall-E came out. ID4 doesn't have an original bone on its body.

I guess I'm a bit surprised how little familiar people on this board seem to be about science fiction literature.
                              Just about all the movies that have been mentioned - Those ideas were fully explored on sci-fi novels for *decades* before the movies came out.

If I were bothered by ideas that I have seen before, I couldn't watch a single scifi movie. Moon? Derivative. Matrix? Derivative. Wall-E? Derivative. Star Wars? Derivative.

And so on.

This just seems like a stupid game to play. It's lazy script analysis.

Critizising internal logic of the film, or weak characters, or weak dialogue, etc, on the other hand is fair game.

Comment

Of course everything is derivative. That's the wellspring of creativity. But the obligation is to bring something unique to the process, to deconstruct these ideas and to throw them back into the mix with your own personal spin. To try and top them, even.

But all I got out of Oblivion was reproductions of those influences. Sort of like a spoof movie played deadly serious. That may be a heavy handed way of putting it, but a narrative is not working if you're playing Spot the Allusion the entire running time.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                                X