Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Baz Luhrmann's Elvis biopic is on hold here in Australia due to the Hanks infection. And Rita Wilson appeared on a major TV breakfast show a couple of days ago, so the hosts and crew have been stood down. She also performed at the Sydney Opera House last weekend and Tom was front and centre in the audience.

Lot of ripples in this pond!
    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
      I think it's relatively safe to go out here. Just use what precautions you can. Wash hands, use any hand sanitizers available at a location, wipe down any shopping carts before going in the store, use your elbow(s) to open doors when possible or to push elevator buttons, etc. All the things that are being recommended.

The grocery store near me was relatively quiet yesterday but still people out. (The stores are starting to feel a strain, I will add. Supplies are starting to run thin quickly, it seems.) And not to bore anyone too much, but I normally go to the gym four times a week. Not going today and not so sure about this weekend or even the next couple of weeks.

Also, my wife (and her entire office) is working from home for at least the next two weeks -- maybe longer. Looks like many other companies are doing the same. Don't stop living and doing what you need to do, I'd say, but do be as conscientious as possible about all, if you go out.

I kind of did that before this coronvirus thing, but now it seems to have leveled up defcon five. Now, I notice everyone's a little scared. They aren't touching things. When someone coughs, people tense up.

I am kind of worried I can't get basic stuff. The water was completely gone from the shelves. My relatives told me Costco was completely out of water. I just thought it was Costco, but looks like it's more widespread. It kind of sucks that some people feel the need to hoard everything at the expense of everyone else. It really feels like we're in a Science Fiction movie.

Comment

I noticed that the showings for movies opening barely have any people. Normally, these are peak times where people show up even for less popular movies. I wonder if a lot of people are not showing up now because of it. My local mall sent an email trying to reassure their customers that they are spring cleaning the place.

Comment

There are so many shows that are taking a break. How are these people getting paid? Is it sick leave? Two weeks might be manageable, but longer delays could be pretty devastating, right?

I can't believe the GOP blocked that emergency paid sick leave the other day. Some people have two or more part time jobs and still no health insurance-- and where are the ****ing tests? POTUS tells the world every thing is going smoothly and the medical profession is saying millions would be infected?

Honestly, when Ted Cruz self-quarantined I thought it was a publicity stunt.

Knowing that POTUS has been closely related to exposure and is NOT being tested is outrageous, as he walks around shaking everyone's hands saying, it's going to blow itself out in a week.

Some schools are shutting down on Monday here in Connecticut for two weeks. Toilet paper is gone. People seem to be calm, but there is an underlying tension that's building.

Do what you can to keep yourself and your family safe, and you'll in turn help to keep other people safe, too.

What might happen, is a total panic when the tests are processed and the numbers explode. That's when fear will be impacting people's judgement. Right now, there are people walking around with COVID-19 infecting other people.

And look at the market? What a crazy week.

On the good side of news, New Rochelle has a "drive thru" testing facility. And I think they're voting on another bill today-- we'll see.
          Last edited by finalact4; 03-13-2020, 06:18 AM.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

We went to the grocery late last night. My girlfriend felt we needed to stock up before everything disappeared from the shelves. I wanted to avoid the whole thing. I’m no Doomsday prepper, but as an avid backpacker and camper, I always have a ready cache of food and supplies to last awhile.

For the grocery trip, the girlfriend wanted me along because... who knows? To carry groceries, I suppose. That, and to break through the throngs to get at the items. She’s an intelligent little hummingbird of a woman and I’m a former football linebacker, so I could see the logic of her decision to ask me along for the trip.

When we arrived, customers had sacked the grocery store. This might have had something to do with the state’s governor’s edict earlier in the day to close all the schools for three weeks. All those empty shelves were an interesting sight. I’ve seen archival footage of communist Russia’s grocery stores, and last night’s grocery trip was reminiscent of those images.

Most of the fruits and vegetables were down to nothing or the dregs, however, but we found a few of those things we wanted.

Gone were all the cat food and cat litter products, too. Perhaps it will come down to eating our pets, and yes, a well-fed kitty is a delicious kitty, which will be more nutritious for everyone. I suppose the same recipes as those for suckling pigs will be used to prepare them, or the elusive Cornish Game Hen recipes.

The toilet tissue shelves also were empty. As we were about to leave that area, a woman’s voice announced on the overhead speakers that all customers would be limited to three packages of toilet tissue. What I heard was, “Comrades! You must sacrifice for the Motherland! If there is no toilet tissue, you will use the corn cobs!”

The shopping took only a half-hour or so. Apparently, not as many people eat healthy as you’d think. The worst part of the whole late-night grocery trip was the 1½- hour wait in line to pay. The ice cream melted.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I saw on the news a couple of women getting into a fight over toilet paper. I think it's seriously selfish to buy up 10 packs of toilet paper so that no one else can have any.

I just wonder how long this is going to take. It's hard not being able to go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                I saw on the news a couple of women getting into a fight over toilet paper. I think it's seriously selfish to buy up 10 packs of toilet paper so that no one else can have any.

I just wonder how long this is going to take. It's hard not being able to go anywhere.
                Aside from the inherent danger to me in such an outbreak and spread of a virus like COVID-19, I rather enjoy the cloistered solitude required to prevent its spread. But then, I also like to sit in the wilderness for days on end until I can hear the spirits of the trees speak to my soul.
                Last edited by Clint Hill; 03-14-2020, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I wonder how the virus might change what we write - or rather what becomes acceptable to produce. The worst case scenarios I've read are up to half a MILLION Americans dead, another 95 million infected - God only knows about the rest of us.

Coming out of such a calamity what is the public going to want to watch? Maybe hard edged stuff will be put aside for synchronized swimming movies and other fluff?
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Sitting here listening to your Prez and his news conference...
                    Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                    I wonder how the virus might change what we write - or rather what becomes acceptable to produce...
                    Whether it's an old pandemic script we're dusting off (as I've done), or some new story that you want to write, remember that whatever gets picked up won't go into production and to theaters for YEARS. By then, we'll be back to climate change or terrorism or serial killers or a tanking economy being the big scary thing we all need to worry about.

Still, I have pondered how to write the revised query for my "golden oldie", so as to make it sound a bit like a "ripped from the headlines" type of story, without appearing to be an outright ambulance-chasing type of tale.

But the fact is, audiences like to be scared, so long as it's in the safety of the theater or living rooms; I don't think they'll blame a movie in any way shape or form. (It may help if the movie has some sort of uplifting ending, though)

Comment

This will probably be tough for a while. Many of us will be out of work soon. They might close down my site before long.

It's a good idea to have had a stash already, especially in earthquake country. Doesn't take much to beef it up. Seems like there are a lot of panic buyers who wait until the last minute to prepare.

I don't expect to use them but I'm glad to be a gun owner right about now. Politics aside I'd encourage those of you in crowded areas to protect yourself. Better to have it and not need it and all that, as they say.

Comment

This kind of hysteria was prevalent when the year 2000 was about to roll around, but there was more time to prepare for that “event” that became a non-event. My UPS man at the time protested about all the ammunition people required him to deliver. That, and five-gallon jugs of water, cases of canned goods, and many other heavy items.

I’m not so sure the virus will go away, but I’m hopeful things will even out when the weather gets hot again across the nation. If that doesn’t do the trick, then perhaps we as a species deserve what we get. We have not been good stewards of the planet, after all, and this may be Mother Nature’s vengeance for it.
                        Last edited by Clint Hill; 03-13-2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

This is a link to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. If you go to the daily updates link, the one for Mar 13 has the stats of who is most at risk (from South Korea. Haven't seen a detailed breakdown from the US.)

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                            This will probably be tough for a while. Many of us will be out of work soon. They might close down my site before long.

It's a good idea to have had a stash already, especially in earthquake country. Doesn't take much to beef it up. Seems like there are a lot of panic buyers who wait until the last minute to prepare.

I don't expect to use them but I'm glad to be a gun owner right about now. Politics aside I'd encourage those of you in crowded areas to protect yourself. Better to have it and not need it and all that, as they say.
                            Really don't think this is the pandemic that brings about a Mad Max hellscape, so I'll pass on buying a gun, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                              Really don't think this is the pandemic that brings about a Mad Max hellscape, so I'll pass on buying a gun, thank you.
                              I don't think so either, although in that scenario being a regular Joe with a gun probably wouldn't help much.

Suit yourself. It's just a precaution. I guess some people like a little more control of their situation, especially family safety, and some are content being completely reliant on others.

I'm not a doomsday prepper but I think we've all read enough history here to know how quickly things can devolve. Different disasters are going to unfold again and again and that will be the case until we go extinct or evolve into something better.

Anyway, I saw on John Oliver a few years ago that the average 911 response time was around an hour nationwide. What do you think that number could turn into?

Comment

It's turning into a nightmare. Just keeps getting worse. It was barely on anyone's radar during Christmas. Everyone was just enjoying themselves and it was just some news item that occurred on the other side of the globe. Even just a few weeks ago, people reasoned that it was relatively small. But, now literally everything's shutting down. Even if you're not as scared of the virus, it certainly is disrupting every day life.

Comment

Working...
                                X