Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sicario

I'm going to see the film tomorrow. Loved the script. Has anyone else seen it yet? If so, drop your thoughts in here. I'll do the same tomorrow.

Re: Sicario

I've been waiting for this one for a couple of months now, so will catch it when I get the chance.
    Let us know if it's as good as the advert(/"trailer").
    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Saw it tonight. Loved it. It lulls a bit towards the middle. It's been awhile since I saw the trailer, but I was under the impression this was a story about Emily Blunt's character having to fight her way out of Cartel gang territory with a prisoner sort of like SWAT or 16 Blocks, but I was way wrong, but pleasantly surprised.

I thought Benicio Del Toro's character was by far and way the most interesting. Reminds me a bit of Anton Sigur from No Country for Old Men. He's sort of beyond good and evil and is just a force of nature.

Comment

Best movie I've seen this year so far. Benicio is gonna be nominated for an Oscar and probably should win in the supporting category. I loved the atmosphere, how it was shot, and the performances were top notch.

I wish we got a more in depth look at the drug cartels. That's my only minor critique.

I hear they are talking about a sequel where we will follow Benecio's character. That could be real interesting. A morally ambiguous hero that takes on the Mexican Cartels.

Comment

^Is that a spoiler?

I only clicked back here to see if people found the film good or not, and really didn't expect to see hints towards the ending.
          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

CONTAINS SPOILER...

Whoa, what a great film. Killer cinematography (Roger Deakins), morally ambiguous characters that keep you guessing, a fresh-face or two to pull you in and make you care, you're not sure where you're going...

I hope Benicio gets an Oscar nom. The guy never shows off. Never says -- just kidding, it's only me, I'm really not this character! Please love me! He's so internal, you can't take your eyes off him.

Emily Blunt was very good, too. My only hesitation...

SPOILER BELOW ....

she just seemed so physically small compared to every other single man that I felt she should've known well before she figured it out that she was being used... because her size seemed a liability.

Comment

Wasn't a big fan. Seemed like a mediocre script with some incredible direction.

The extraction from Mexico was great. Wish that they had just made an entire movie about that.

Emily Blunt was a horrible main character. What did she do? Just get saved by men. It was really Benicio's movie, but they didn't want to admit it was just another "hitman out for revenge" story.

Comment

I liked it a lot. I didn't think the story was amazing but I really liked each character.

SPOILERS

I'd go see a movie with each one of these characters as the lead. Del Toro's and Blunt's...but also Brolin's character(from the moment they panned down to his flip flop).

I liked that it switched protagonists and I was never sure where it would end up. I've seen so many lousy movies lately that i was expecting greatness and got a lot of good in this one but really loved the characters.

Sicario 2...I'm in. Curious to see if they make her more of a wolf or focus more on him. I could watch him change a tire and find it interesting. He's just got something great.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                  Wasn't a big fan. Seemed like a mediocre script with some incredible direction.

The extraction from Mexico was great. Wish that they had just made an entire movie about that.

Emily Blunt was a horrible main character. What did she do? Just get saved by men. It was really Benicio's movie, but they didn't want to admit it was just another "hitman out for revenge" story.
                  I agree. And Emily Blunt's character was moreso in the way rather than any type of interesting protagonist.

They should've just told the entire film from Benicio's POV but I guess their plan was to use Emily's POV in order to market the film.

Loved the soundtrack and Benecio, everything else was average.
                  One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Spoilers:

I thought the good parts were pretty good- Mr. Sicario has a solid motive, and there's tension in how low he'll sink...

But overall I felt like the movie was off balance. The apparent lead character really did take a back seat for a lot of the story. Sort of like half of a TRAINING DAY with a US Cop who gets drafted into the drug war.

Then somehow she didn't want to be there enough that there's impact in the reveal that she's basically only included as an excuse for the CIA to act locally.

Her failure to heed the warning to not let herself get caught on camera, and the aftermath, are pretty painful missteps. Then again, the Sandals guy didn't exactly fully articulate his warning.

The final moment with the cop and the hitman seemed a little forced.

Also, that part of the movie and some of the others were distracting in looking like they could have been filmed for $40.

Still- a somewhat challenging movie and worth a see.
                    - - - - - - -
                    Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

I thought it was gorgeous, and Emily Blunt was great, but the script was only so-so. Definitely a weakness that she ended up with so little to do even in the final action sequences, and I felt the final plan was a little silly (follow the car and use a drone). I wonder if some of my complaints (e.g., the relative meagerness of the villains' plan in the first mission) were in part the result of budget constraints.

I enjoyed it. I think it's a fine film, but a lot of it is really elevated by Deakins' cinematography.

Comment

I disagree with anyone complaining about Blunt having little to do (as a character). In fact, I loved that. Because guess what...it was realistic. I was afraid from the previews that they'd make her some super badass, defying logic (there's a reason women aren't combat Rangers and it has nothing to do with equality), and I'm glad they didn't. She was completely out of her element (as was her partner), among hardened killers who do what they do for a living. The whole point was, she isn't a shark. Sure, it's different having the "protagonist" not be "the hero," but it makes sense. One could even argue that Benecio is the protagonist, and we're simply seeing the story from Blunt's POV. Oh, and Deakins will get an Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                          (there's a reason women aren't combat Rangers and it has nothing to do with equality)
                          Is there some requirement that you have to pee standing up?

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                            Is there some requirement that you have to pee standing up?
                            No, but there are incredibly and intensely rigorous physical requirements, of which life and death are in the balance, where the innate physiological differences between males and females play an undeniable role in.

According to The Washington Post, the US Marines recently conducted a test with integrated units competing against all-male units. Following the evaluation, the gender-integrated unit’s assessment found that “40.5 percent of women participating suffered some form of musculoskeletal injury, while 18.8 percent of men did. Twenty-one women lost time in the unit due to injuries, 19 of whom suffered injuries to their lower extremities. Of those, 16 women were injured while carrying heavy loads in an organized movement, like a march, the study found.” In addition to the Marine Corps evaluation, the US Army released data this year that showed that women in certain combat support MOS’s, nearest to Combat Arms troops, suffered more than double (113 percent) the injuries of men. That's not to mention lower marks across the field in time, endurance tests, marksmanship, and leadership tests.

Even the validity of the two women who became the first ever to graduate Ranger school is being called into question.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ces-claim.html

U.S. Rangers have some of the most physically demanding tasks in the world, and you can make all the snarky comments or cries of sexism until you're blue in the face, but the fact is, there is a biological and physiologically, undeniable difference between men and women which makes the latter less suited for the role.

If you don't know anything about a subject, it's okay to be quiet, I've found...

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                              No, but there are incredibly and intensely rigorous physical requirements, of which life and death are in the balance, where the innate physiological differences between males and females play an undeniable role in.

According to The Washington Post, the US Marines recently conducted a test with integrated units competing against all-male units. Following the evaluation, the gender-integrated unit's assessment found that "40.5 percent of women participating suffered some form of musculoskeletal injury, while 18.8 percent of men did. Twenty-one women lost time in the unit due to injuries, 19 of whom suffered injuries to their lower extremities. Of those, 16 women were injured while carrying heavy loads in an organized movement, like a march, the study found.- In addition to the Marine Corps evaluation, the US Army released data this year that showed that women in certain combat support MOS's, nearest to Combat Arms troops, suffered more than double (113 percent) the injuries of men. That's not to mention lower marks across the field in time, endurance tests, marksmanship, and leadership tests.

Even the validity of the two women who became the first ever to graduate Ranger school is being called into question.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ces-claim.html

U.S. Rangers have some of the most physically demanding tasks in the world, and you can make all the snarky comments or cries of sexism until you're blue in the face, but the fact is, there is a biological and physiologically, undeniable difference between men and women which makes the latter less suited for the role.

If you don't know anything about a subject, it's okay to be quiet, I've found...
                              Who am I to argue with unnamed sources.

Comment

Working...
                              X