Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Write Flashes of Images in a Screenplay

Hey if anyone can help me on a formatting question.

I want to show either flashes of information or short "visions" of action and am not sure how to do it.

Main protag is watching TV and suddenly sees visions of-

Int. Hallway - Killers POV

Pulling out a knife.

Lunging at the victim.

and so on.

Also if I want short bit of action can I use this and add dialogue.

Is there a better way to write it and keep it easy to follow?

Thanks,

odetotud

Re: How to Write Flashes of Images in a Screenplay

Maybe find the script to Blink and see how they did it? Was that the movie about the person who was blind but could sort of remember a crime?

Comment

Here's how David Goyer does it in his recent script THE UNBORN--

INT. BELL HOME - CASEY’S BEDROOM - NIGHT

Casey climbs in bed, pulling the covers up. She stares at
      the ceiling, glances over at the photograph of her mother.

A MEMORY FLASH

CASEY (8) in the doorway of a hospital room with her father. JANET BELL (30s) sits at a table in a hospital gown, doped upon drugs, staring into the void.

BACK TO CASEY IN THE PRESENT

...I remember it b/c it's nice & clean. I'm probably going to use it in the future.

You can also do someting like--

INT. SIMON'S APT - BATHROOM - NIGHT

Simon gets out of the shower. Something in the morror catches his eye--

A FLASH OF IMAGES--

-- A man with a bloody knife.

-- A car's headlights.

-- Jane's anguished face. Her mouth covered with duct tape.

-- Simon's own face covered in blood.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

A slight improvement, I think, is to do what was done above but make complete scenes of each flashback. Why? Because ultimately the script is supposed to identify everything as exterior or interior, and day or night, for planning how to shoot the film.

INT. BELL HOME - CASEY'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

Casey climbs in bed, pulling the covers up. She stares at
        the ceiling, glances over at the photograph of her mother.

A MEMORY FLASH

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM -- NIGHT (FLASHBACK)

CASEY (8) in the doorway of a hospital room with her father. JANET BELL (30s) sits at a table in a hospital gown, doped upon drugs, staring into the void.

INT. BELL HOME - CASEY'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

Casey sits upright in bed, panting with fright. Etc.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Those are great!

Comment

Cut To Flashback

Back To Scene

Comment

I am not looking to write an actual flashback, but my protag would be seeing flashes of imagery that he doesn't actually remember.

Comment

I am not looking to write an actual flashback, but my protag would be seeing flashes of imagery that he doesn't actually remember.

If I was to write that, I would simply say:

(let's say your character's name is Pete)

Images flash in Pete's mind: Pulling out a knife. Lunging at the victim, and so on... (whatever the image).

As long as it reads well, you can do it. I'm not sure that there is a specific format. I could be wrong. At least i would do that. Hope that helps some.

the best way to know. Give that part of the script to a friend, don't tell them about the flashes of memory bit. If they get it, a reader would most definitely see where you're going.

I also think most scripts get a rewrite, so it doesn't have to be spot-on perfect. It just has to make sense.

wishing you waves and waves of success

Comment

Sometimes we over think these things. We assume there's some fancy, complicated or "right" way to put something in a screenplay.

The best way to do it is to just come right out and say what's happening on screen, SIMPLY AND PLAINLY.

Here's another variation--

EXT. WHEAT FIELD - NIGHT

Simon runs through a large, open field. He hears a strange sound and stops. Listens. It sounds like a high-pitched WHISTLE.

The sound gets louder and louder...

Simon doubles over in pain.

A FLASH OF IMAGES

A man with a bloody knife... A car's headlights... Jane's anguished face, her mouth covered with duct tape... Simon's own face covered in blood...

Just as suddenly, the whistling STOPS. Simon recovers.

He looks around to see if anyone is watching. He's alone in the vast field.

He continues on to the farmhouse.

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I see. Understood.

But as someone said, it is possible to overthink all of this. Remember that you are not writing a story that someone else is going to put into screenplay form. That is what you are supposed to do!

Somebody has to decide where these "flashes" are taking place. Location? Interior? Exterior? Day? Night? That is why I suggested writing them as small scenes.

I like Writer1's suggestion to use CUT TO FLASHBACK.

An alternative, which I saw in a script the other day, is FLASH BACK TO:

Just use FLASH BACK TO: as a transition element, placed over to the right side of the page, just like a CUT TO: transition.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

What do you think about EXPLAINING things totally hammer-headed in the action lines if you have flashes of images and such and the reader isn't getting it.

Stuff like: And now we understand: these aren't really dreams-- Simon was covered in blood because he was there!

Or whatever.

Just clarify the stuff as best as possible within the scene instead?

Comment

Here's another example I came across. It's from The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Ronald Harwood. An image flash with location as mentioned by ComicBent.

The main part of the scene takes place in a naval hospital and is rather long so I condensed it:

INT. JEAN-DO'S ROOM, NAVAL HOSPITAL - DAY

Blackness. Silence. The blackness slowly, very slowly, begins to lighten.

(scene continues)

DR. COCHETON (cont'd)
                        (slowly, reassuringly)
                        Don't be alarmed. You're in a hospital. I'm
                        a doctor. My name's Cocheton. These are
                        nurses. We're here to take care of you. Do
                        you remember what happened?

INT. CAR - DAY

QUICK FLASH: the face of a young boy (THEOPHILE) seated in the front beside the driver (unseen), terrified, and

INT. JEAN-DO'S ROOM, NAVAL HOSPITAL - DAY

As before: COCHETON and THE NURSES.

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Personally, I put these on the front of the appropriate slug, underlined, to make sure its clear for readers skimming through.

MEMORY FLASH - INT. TAXI CAB - DAY

I don't put them on the end and if I do it this way it saves me page count because I'm not using extra lines for another slug.

Then, after the the memory hit...

BACK TO SCENE - INT. HOSPITAL ROOM - NIGHT

The format poilce could get after you for the underlines but if they're pickin' on that they're not going to buy the screenplay anyway.

Bot
                          Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Working...
                          X