Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Cabin in the Woods

Please do not avoid the fact that the suits' motivation was not revealed until the climax of the film, and that we had no idea that more was going on than them messing with a group of kids for seemingly no good reason up until that point, because that's one of the major things wrong with the movie.

Comment

No way in how I look at it, I can't see how that'd improve the movie. Except make it easier for halfwits to follow.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I've heard it's good in places by friends. Haven't checked it out myself yet.

Saw the trailer - looks intriguing but might wait until the DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
          Please do not avoid the fact that the suits' motivation was not revealed until the climax of the film, and that we had no idea that more was going on than them messing with a group of kids for seemingly no good reason up until that point, because that's one of the major things wrong with the movie.
          Oh, good god. Did you not watch the movie?

You didn't like it, fine. But don't start saying that the movie made no sense until the third act, or that "we had no idea that more was going on than them messing with a group of kids for seemingly no good reason..."?????

The asides about the ancient ones didn't clue you in? The new guy at his post who had some trepidation about what they were doing, but said he wouldn't leave his post? The various other sites that were doing the exact same thing that they could watch via the monitors? That didn't give you some kind of hint that it was more than a couple of guys just dicking around? Hell, even the characters knew something weird was going on, and the scene in the basement, as each character chose their little bauble, indicated that there was something else going on.

Seriously. Do you always try to stretch your dislikes into some form of logical argument even though there's no logic to that argument?

Just stop. You're embarrassing your family and friend.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
            You didn't like it, fine. But don't start saying that the movie made no sense until the third act, or that "we had no idea that more was going on than them messing with a group of kids for seemingly no good reason..."?????

The asides about the ancient ones didn't clue you in? The new guy at his post who had some trepidation about what they were doing, but said he wouldn't leave his post? The various other sites that were doing the exact same thing that they could watch via the monitors? That didn't give you some kind of hint that it was more than a couple of guys just dicking around? Hell, even the characters knew something weird was going on, and the scene in the basement, as each character chose their little bauble, indicated that there was something else going on.
            But what did we think was going on apart from a control room full of random schleps f_cking with these random kids?

Sure, the gods aspect was mildly hinted at in a scene or two, but it was done so in passing and never taken in a serious context until the third act. For Christ's sake - even the schleps themselves were joking about their "job" and acting as if it wasn't important at all. They were literally taking bets! No danger, no threat, no suspense. They were having a good ole' time! So, why the hell should I take that seriously? At that point in the movie, it was nothing more than some dudes at a desk doing their job. F_ck that. Give me something to care about - and not 75 minutes from now. Give me something to care about NOW.

This movie failed to do that.

Comment

You're right. This movie wasn't for you.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

"Hey, look kid, this is how dumb horror movies work, and this is why they wanna see it : they just wanna see some blood so they can [SPOILER] contain their ancients (primal instincts) "
                I hate to be patronized. I hate when people try to act smart and give one of the most juvenile message since a long time, as if it was an important discovery.
                I'm with Bio and Martell.
                Still, some of the dialogue were good, the last 1/3 was interesting and honestly really cool, the ending was meh.
                2.5/6
                My wife loved it, but she's a fan of Whedon. So.
                The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                  You're right. This movie wasn't for you.
                  No crappy movies are.

Comment

Here's a fun breakdown of why a lot of folks think TCITW really delivered.

Although it also gives me a good idea of why a lot of folks were honked off, after being brought in by a trailer that promised them one subgenre and gave them something else. But hey...I'd rather get that than getting exactly — and only — what was in a trailer.
                    Last edited by Signal30; 04-25-2012, 08:30 PM.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                      Please do not avoid the fact that the suits' motivation was not revealed until the climax of the film

I knew the suits' motivations from the moment Josh from The West Wing mentioned that things were easier back when they could just throw somebody in a volcano. Which is pretty early in the movie.

I do have a couple of issues with the overall plausability with the story, and thought of how that could be fixed, but I enjoyed the movie for what it was.

I did also have the same thoughts as Bill, as to how the movie would play if the reveal of the bigger picture had been held back and our POV stayed with the kids in the cabin.

Oh, and I really, really wish they'd been able to get Jamie Lee Curtis for that final cameo. I think that characters dialogue would have been so much better coming from her.
                      "Only nothing is impossible."
                      - Grant Morrison

Comment

Ugh!

Just saw this last night. I avoided the hype and trailers - just caught a few posters on buses and billboards telling me it's old school horror and it wasn't. Maybe that's why I hated it so. Credit for creativity and a few choice lines of dialogue but that's it.

In the end, I think it's cleverer on paper than on screen. Yeah, it's cool how it explains why there's always certain caricatures and who surives to the end and how different nations endure different horrors but it didn't work for me. Again, maybe if I didn't expect a straight up horror I wouldn't have been completely thrown by the early scenss in the control room. I also agree with Bio that no one was worthy of empathy.
                        Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 05-09-2012, 01:31 AM.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

The elevator dings are reason enough to see this movie.

Comment

Finally saw this after months of hearing about it.

Excellent film. It was a wild ride. For anyone that hated this movie or think it's not good, you're looking into things wayyyy too deeply. Relax, enjoy life a little more.

Comment

What I liked about it is that it did to traditional Hollywood horror what Blazing Saddles did to the western...took all the genre tropes and tired-assed shit, took it all out in the backyard and shot it in the head.

I love horror, but it seriously needs a reboot. And I'm not talking Hollywood style reboot. It needs what Night of the Living Dead did in '68.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                                What I liked about it is that it did to traditional Hollywood horror what Blazing Saddles did to the western...took all the genre tropes and tired-assed shit, took it all out in the backyard and shot it in the head.

I love horror, but it seriously needs a reboot. And I'm not talking Hollywood style reboot. It needs what Night of the Living Dead did in '68.
                                Easier said than done. But I agree 110%.
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X