Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do you think you are gonna make it?

I agree with Cutter Rug.

It takes a lot more than luck to break into this biz, or even come within a hair's reach... and still not break in.

In my opinion, attributing everything to luck is for lazy people who don't want to do the hard work it takes to be able to capitalize on an opportunity if it should come around.

JayKid, you're about to graduate college... Which is the end of a four-year long journey... And you probably don't want to hear the "W" word anymore. But this is the real world, now.

If you want to compete with the thousands... And this time this is not an exaggerated statistic... Of other aspiring screenwriters and film makers who are working their asses off so they can grab the brass ring when it comes around, you're going to have to do a lot better than attribute their successes to something as random as luck...
    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

If by "make it" you mean have a sustained writing career, I'd argue luck has very little to do with it.

I think the problem, at least some of the time, is that many people here think selling a spec = making it, as opposed to being a working screenwriter for the next decade or so.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKid View Post
        By getting lucky...

There is so many more variables...
        Good grammar are helpful, too.....
        "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Originally posted by R.D. Wright View Post
          Good grammar are helpful, too.....
          Yes they is. That's another reason I'm going to succeed. I'm very well at using grammer (and spelling too). I use them very good.
          "I've got vision up the butt, so just go with it!" - Dewey Finn, School of Rock

Comment

True story - When I was 5 or 6 years old and learning to write I asked God why I had to learn this stuff. I received a mental image of a script page written in Final Draft. I didn't know what it was at the time - FD wasn't even invented at the time - but the image inspired me. I excelled at English throughout school.

I forgot about that image - consciously at least - until a few years ago. I was typing in FD and WHAMMO! I remembered that image. It freaked me out, totally to the max.

I don't know if I will "make it" though I do have a script in pre-production. But I get the feeling that I am doing one of the many things that I was meant to do.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqits View Post
              True story - When I was 5 or 6 years old and learning to write I asked God why I had to learn this stuff. I received a mental image of a script page written in Final Draft. I didn't know what it was at the time - FD wasn't even invented at the time - but the image inspired me. I excelled at English throughout school.

I forgot about that image - consciously at least - until a few years ago. I was typing in FD and WHAMMO! I remembered that image. It freaked me out, totally to the max.

I don't know if I will "make it" though I do have a script in pre-production. But I get the feeling that I am doing one of the many things that I was meant to do.
              I will never quite understand Christians. They grow up learning that God can in no way interfere with their lives and yet pray to him for divine intervention when anything goes wrong. If whatever the problem is is somehow rectifed then God waved his magic wand, despite teachings suggesting that isn't possible. There are SO MANY contradictions in Chirstianity, you have to seriously wonder why intelligent people fail to see them.

That's not to take the story away from the poster. I might just suggest that there are stronger and more clandestine forces at work in the world than God. Perhaps Fate planted that image in your head. I'm not sure it would be God. I don't care how omnipresent he's supposed to be, if he can't quite get round to warning the innocent diner in a suicide bomb blast, he's certainly not going to be giving people friendly nudges in the direction they should take their lives.

By the way what exactly does a Final Draft page look like? I would have to assume were talking about a..... script page? I mean that's what a Final Draft page looks like. Otherwise what's the point of the software. So the vision was of a script page.

A person assimilates all manner of information on a subconscious level. For instance I have explained things in my dreams I know nothing about on a conscious level. I know nothing of car engines, but I once had a dream where I fixed a stranded couple's car, explaining in a fair amount of detail the workings of the engine. I googled Car mechanics and found that, despite a few surreal moments of dialogue, I was 50% right. A good result for something I can't explain when I'm awake.

What you've got to understand is God had nothing to do with it, but that doesn't detract at all from the experience. IT's equally powerful, and a lot more feasible, that from a young age you saw a script page somewhere (TV, Internet, Library, Movie etc etc) and on a totally subconscious level you realized this is what you wanted to do in life. In fact I prefer that angle because it suggests something preordinate at work from an early stage. You're setting yourself up for a crash of epic proportions if you attribute the direction your life has taken to God's intervention. If you don't make it who else can you blame? And if you blame him who else can you turn to spiritually to get you through this crushing defeat?

.......uhh......Anyway, as to my circumstance, I know I'll make it on some basic level because I've had luck that way already. As to Oscar winning/Six figure sales, well that's another matter entirely. I'll make a decent living and on some level that's good enough for me.

Although perhaps that too, is merely on a conscious level.
              Last edited by Harbinger; 10-15-2007, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Perhaps you should round them up and erect a mission to teach them the right way.

Irony.

Is it possible anymore for people to embody their beliefs without imposing?
                Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

I explained that my angle was that believing God pushed you in a certain direction is a sure fire way to a painful conclusion when it doesn't come to fruition.

In other words if you use religion as a spirtitual crutch in moments of crisis as a lot of people do, who do you turn to if your spirituality is in fact the instrument of that crisis?

A very dangerous road... but hey each to their own. If God uses Final Draft who am I to argue. It's the industry standard after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                    I explained that my angle was that believing God pushed you in a certain direction is a sure fire way to a painful conclusion when it doesn't come to fruition.

In other words if you use religion as a spirtitual crutch in moments of crisis as a lot of people do, who do you turn to if your spirituality is in fact the instrument of that crisis?

A very dangerous road... but hey each to their own.
                    My beliefs are different from both of yours, but I'm not compelled to rip into either of your paths, particularly not in such an innocuous thread.
                    Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

But technically I'm not imposing my belief on the poster. I'm imposing their own belief on them.

Had I turned round and told the poster God doesn't exist I'd understand the imposition, but what I'm saying is, by HIS/HER OWN belief system, it couldn't have been God. Since he doesn't interfere, how could it have been divine intervention in any way.

I'm not saying he/she shouldn't believe in God. I'm not even saying God doesn't exist. I'm saying by the rules laid down by his own religion, God wouldn't speak to him about such matters and that believing he did will only set you up for a spiritual crisis down the line.

Better to believe that fate/destiny had a plan for you. It's easier to blame fate now in order that you can look to God for answers later down the line. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by cool running
                        ... sounds interesting, where did you learn ?

Were you taught by a legendary Master - Boob - Maker ?

Unbelievably that^ was someone returning the thread to some semblance of normaility. What a strange forum this place can be!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesfox View Post
                          Why do you think you are gonna make it? there are alot of great writers out there, what makes you soo special?

For me, i know my writing is good(contests & script consultants) AND creativity is 2nd nature to me. I'm very creative. I've met alot of writers who are great writers but they suck at being creative. its the same **** over and over again.

Why do you think you are going to make it?
                          There is no spoon.
                          "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by JayKid View Post
                            By getting lucky.

You're just kidding yourself if you think there is any other way.

Sure, some talent and creativity and all that is great, but at the end of the day it's about being at the right place in the right time with the right people, etc.

It's all about luck. Then you have to NETWORK as well. Really, it's not terribly hard to get the door to crack open, but you need to open that heavy-ass door yourself. It's not easy and it'll involve some luck, but I personally don't believe it's all about writing and true talent. There is so many more variables... and to get everything working... well, like I said, you gotta be lucky.

Yes there are many variables. And luck is just one of them. There's one-script-wonder sale luck. Sure. But the odds of it happening are small in my estimation.

Writing talent is the only way to tip the odds in your favor. Because, even if you make the right connection at exactly the right time, if you hand over a lousy script, that connection will move on. There's just too much competition.

Look how many sales are based on true stories, novels, graphic novels, old TV shows or remakes of previous films.

Why? My educated guess -- currently, not many industry people are willing to invest in un-tested concepts.

So your completely original spec is already considered a risk by the industry before they read past Fade In. To keep them reading, it had better be an
                            exceptional spec script among a slush pile of thousands of spec scripts registered each year.

When someone has a huge pile of untested, original specs by unknown writers they're looking for reasons to thin out that pile. They're looking for reasons to reject not recommend.

So your script had better be hitting on all cylinders. And luck has nothing to do with that.

Creativity? Sure, if your right brain talents are nicely balanced with left brain know-how (structure, commercial viability, personal discipline, etc.). But too much unfettered creativity with no left brain logic for balance -- this can be a hinderance in an industry always looking at the bottom line.
                            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by CutteRug View Post
                              JK,
                              I personally will make it because ... a 35mm short film ... one specifically that can be made
                              you made a 35mm Short?

Do you have a link for us to watch it?
                              But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

If I succeed, it will be because I am persistent. Start with a modicum of talent (which I have, and I will claim no more than that) and be prepared to learn about the business and about the writing at every opportunity, then continue to work it and work it and work it until something gives. Ten years...twenty years...thirty years...throw enough stuff at the wall, and sooner or later something will stick.

Comment

Working...
                                X