Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you break in with just one script?

I have a script that I think has a lot of potential. I've gotten it critiqued from numerous sources and it has received praise from script readers, writing friends, etc., so I'm finally ready to start sending it out to the world.

My problem is that aside from this script, I don't have any other solo projects that I am confident in. My only other potentially-successful script was a pilot that I wrote with a partner, so I can't exactly show that.

Should I wait until I have another decent script so that agents/managers don't write me off as a one hit wonder? That is, of course, assuming the slim chance that they think my script is anything close to wonderful!

I'm thinking about entering it into the Nicholl while working on another project. At the same time, if it's possible to break in with just one script then I think I'll go full steam ahead and start querying or post it on the blacklist site and hopefully generate some attention.

Would love some opinions. Thanks!

Re: Can you break in with just one script?

If your one script is absolutely incredible and you happen to get it into the right hands at the right time, then yes, you can break in with one script. But it's unlikely. Most likely you'll need three or four really good scripts to get that first break, be it getting a manager or getting an option/sale. That said, there's no reason you can't start marketing/querying this script as you write the next. Good luck!

Comment

Yes, you can break in with one script and one script only. They’ll be asking for more and if you pitch them ones that you will be working on, and it sounds cool, then that might be enough.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely start getting this script out there, then. Good luck to both of you as well!

Comment

You can get started (your foot in the door) with one script. But you'll need the next one, and the next to keep working.
          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Sure. Hopefully they want to hire you to write the next one, not read the old ones.

Comment

Working...
            X