Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agents, inc.

The stuff about the agent's assistant was bad, but it pales in comparison to my "roommate from hell" story. I was broke and unemployed and I needed to find a roommate, fast. I decided to post notices at laundromats. As I did, this guy walked up to me, saw the notice and said he needed a place to stay, because he was getting divorced. He seemed like a nice enough guy. Of course, once he moved in, crazy stuff started happening. Like the $900 phone bill, thanks to all the phone sex lines he was calling. I won't bore you with the details, although after he just disappeared (right before rent was due), I had to put an ad in the classifieds to get another roommate. All I can say is, having strangers as roommates is not fun. In fact, dealing with agents and agent's assistants who don't return your phone calls is a piece of cake in comparison.

Comment

Re: shades of gray

labtest,

did you approach the agent with another script? was he open to consider other scripts or were you back at square one, writing query letters?

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time with these boutique agencies. I'd go right for the big ones.

Comment

asking to see other scripts/new tangent

I have heard from an agent and a prod. co and I am sending out my screenplay this week (!) My concern: I have always heard you should never do that until you've written at least 3.

Well, I technically have written 3. This one is good and was an honorable mention in a contest. That's why I sent it out, and it's also kind of a timely topic that seemed worth sending now.

The other two are not good enough to use for kitty litter liner. The first is a very strangely formatted novella, and the other is about nothing, but not in a Larry David way. It's pretty much unsalvageable, and the other one is really not something I'm interesting in fixing up either.

So if someone asks, "What else have you got?" should I say, "Well, I've written 2 others, but I was (ahem) learning the craft." Something along those lines? I certainly can't show them to anyone. Am I screwed?
          (Guess I'm not screwed yet since I haven't even mailed the so-called "good" one!)
          Thanks...

Comment

other scripts?

I wouldn't hesitate to send another script to the agent in question, but by the time I had another script, I didn't need to, I was repped elsewhere, by one of the other agencies mentioned in this subject header.

qparrish -- Don't worry about not having other scripts. Don't get talked into showing a bad script, or a script that's not ready, though. It's fine to say that you have earlier work, but not up to the standard of the current script. Good luck!

Comment

Re: other scripts?

labtest,

did they sign you right away or did they hip-pocket you first?

Comment

Working...
              X