Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Austin Notifications

Honestly, I didn't get much traction placing in the semi's last year, beyond a couple of requests to read.

But, placing can always go on a query letter and I think more people are willing to read a logline that has already placed in a contest. Also Austin is one of the only contests that breaks it down into categories like comedy, drama, sci-fi, so you have a better chance in your genre. It also says something that certain Austin winners, also win Nichols in the same year.

Also, Austin is just fun! They call you personally, have special panels, mixers, etc. People read your badge that says semi-finalist and it's like your a mini celeb. The pitch contest is a blast...if you make it to the finals, you pitch to people like Terry Rossio onstage in a cowboy bar in front of a druken audience like a stand-up comedian. (I was appalled, but to this day, getting up and doing that is something I'm very proud of.) .

Comment

i went in 07 it was pretty cool. id go again if i made the finals hint hint

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
        i went in 07 it was pretty cool. id go again if i made the finals hint hint

Now there's a thought... Up the number of finalists to increase attendance!

Just kidding.

Austin's a great experience. I'll go again if I can possibly find a way to afford it -- even if I don't make the finals. (Still hoping I do, of course!)

Comment

E-mail received today:

We will be announcing advancements soon.* Notification letters will go out to First Round and Second Round contestants by September 2.* Semi-finalists will also be notified by this date.* The feedback included in this year's entry fee will be sent out shortly after this. Finalists will be announced by September 23 and then, of course, the winners will be announced on Saturday, October 23, 2010 at the Austin Film Festival’s Awards Luncheon held at the historic Austin Club.

Comment

Panelists announced:

http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/2010_panelists
            Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

I wish I could go....

Comment

Me too. But I have a camera to save up for.

Hey, Jeff's going to be a panelist.
                Nobody's perfect.

Comment

I'm a TV writer. If I place, how beneficial would it be for me to attend?

Any opinions?

Comment

Are we there yet?
                    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

I'm booking. Gotta go for your dreams, right?

Comment

Someone I know who submitted a screenplay received their rejection email today.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleWriter View Post
                          Historically, notifications go out late August/early September. A few years ago I was called on Labor Day (Monday) to be informed I made it to the Semis. And I recall last year I got my rejection notice about the same time (end of August).

And that's the thing...you don't want the letter. If you get a letter, you didn't advance farther than the second round.
                          So has anyone else gotten either the letter (email?) or the call yet?
                          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Not yet! Still have hope...

Comment

Weren't rejections typically by USPS in the past?

Comment

i thought they were sending out rejections on the 27th?

Comment

Working...
                                X