Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood business hours?

If you're trying to catch people at their desk, what are typical hours for a busy production company? Is it more 9 to 5 or is it start later, finish later? I get the feeling a lot of people are still at their desk at 6, 7, even 8 pm.

Re: Hollywood business hours?

My friends who are dev. execs usually roll in by 9:15. They leave around 7 pm. Most stay until 6:30 pm, I think. Partly because of work. Partly because they are waiting for traffic to get better.

Comment

9 to 5? More like 9 to 7. Office hours are usually in the neighborhood of 9am-7pm but in my experience, while assistants generally arrive no later than start of business, it's not unusual for execs to roll in after 10am. Though they often work past 7 (sometimes earlier, sometimes later), a lot of execs spend the end of the day returning calls they missed earlier, which makes them difficult to get on the line. I'd say probably late morning or mid-afternoon is your best bet, but of course that's when a lot of meetings are scheduled too. And lunch is usually 1-2pm, so I wouldn't bother with that hour.

But this is just a generalization. I know one company whose hours are 8-5, and they stick to it sharply. Your mileage may vary.
      Last edited by Porkaccino; 01-04-2011, 06:30 PM. Reason: extraneous "but"

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
          If you're trying to catch people at their desk, what are typical hours for a busy production company? Is it more 9 to 5 or is it start later, finish later? I get the feeling a lot of people are still at their desk at 6, 7, even 8 pm.
          For office staff (assistants, receptionist, etc.) the hours are usually 9am-7pm or thereabouts. Since many executives have breakfast meetings, dinner meetings, etc. the execs themselves are closer to 10am-5pm or 6pm with a lot of meetings outside the office in some cases. But it's not uncommon for someone to be in the office before 9am, and someone to be there well after 7pm. In the case of assistants, that's usually the same person.

If you're trying to catch someone (an executive) at their desk, your best bet is probably either 10:30am-12:00pm and 3:00pm-5:00pm. Avoids most breakfast meetings, dinner meetings, and lunches. If you're just trying to get their office to pick up, the entire 9am-7pm window - with the rare exception of the lunch hour (1pm-2pm) - is likely to result in someone picking up the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Porkaccino View Post
            But this is just a generalization. I know one company whose hours are 8-5, and they stick to it sharply. Your mileage may vary.
            The MPAA is like that. If you call at 5:01pm, the place is a ghost town.

But you're totally right. For every person that walks out the door at 5pm on the dot, there's another who's rolling calls at 8:30pm.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalScribe View Post
              The MPAA is like that. If you call at 5:01pm, the place is a ghost town.

But you're totally right. For every person that walks out the door at 5pm on the dot, there's another who's rolling calls at 8:30pm.
              And, if you're lucky, the latter is YOUR agent and/or manager.
              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
                And, if you're lucky, the latter is YOUR agent and/or manager.
                There's really no correlation between their office hours and their productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                  There's really no correlation between their office hours and their productivity.
                  Besides, when you roll calls at 8:30pm... you pretty much know you're not going to get anybody. That's a total "I need to call this person back but I really don't want to talk to them" move. Kinda like calling their office at 1:30pm.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalScribe View Post
                    Besides, when you roll calls at 8:30pm... you pretty much know you're not going to get anybody. That's a total "I need to call this person back but I really don't want to talk to them" move. Kinda like calling their office at 1:30pm.
                    That's a bingo!

Comment

People always eat lunch at 1:00PM. Not sure why this is but seems to be universal, even in post. Equally rare is to arrive after 10:30am or leave before 5:00PM. Coffee breaks can be random and frequent. If I want to catch someone I usually try the morning, but not to early: not everyone's an early bird.

Comment

Generally...

Agents are 24/7
                        (hustling)

Execs Assistants are ~9am to 5-7pm
                        (keeping the sched)

Execs are about 10am - 12 noon, 2pm - ~6pm
                        (when you are doling out the money, you get to be less available)

Creative types are 7/24
                        (which 7 hours varies by person)

Film Production is 12/24
                        (which 12 hours varies by the production sched, night or day shoots)

Hope that helps!
                        Postmodernism?

http://www.juliantyler.com

Comment

right now...
                          " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Working...
                          X