Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assassinating important politicians?

I'm guessing that any figure important enough to warrant Secret-Service protection would never pass through public airport buildings... But I have a Senator being assassinated in Dulles airport foyer, despite having eight secret-service agents in attendance.

LOL

Would my script get away with this, or be jeered out of court? It's only my opening scene, not the entire thrust of the story - if that makes any difference...?

If travelling through is too unlikely, then would any figure requiring secret-service protection ever open (say) a new airport terminal? If so, what level of figure - Senator, Governer, anybody else?

Many thanks
    Last edited by Steven Jenkins; 11-23-2010, 06:52 AM.
    "Would you take a f**k to save your president?"

Re: assassinating important politicians?

the secret service do not protect senators or congress reps unless a special request is made... and there has to be a good reason ie - they're running for president. they do protect anyone who is an immediate family member of the sitting president (or past, if requested). senator hillary clinton got this protection for this reason.

when senator mccain was running for president he did NOT request secret service protection btw.

to make your story work, your senator should be in one of those 2 categories: related to the president or running for president.

in an airport they have separate terminals for private aircraft. many senators use private jets. some rich senators have their own but most often it's borrowed from a wealthy supporter or friend... or they can charter a private jet. strangely enough -- there is less not more security at these private terminals because the general public has no reason to go there. but don't tell anybody i said this.

hope this helps.

Comment

You could make him insistent on going through normal security to show everyday Americans how much he can relate to their problems.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Wow, NG! Are you running for president? That's a pretty comprehensive answer

But puts me in a pickle.

I spose the private gateways could be under renovation....? My senator on the presidential trail...? I can probably get away with those assumptions?

Great! Nothing like a little information to help with bending the actualité

Thanks NG, and Emily

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
          You could make him insistent on going through normal security to show everyday Americans how much he can relate to their problems.
          this is why mccain didn't want secret service. but then he went on to say he didn't know how many homes he owned. the answer was 8. and that ruined his chances with connecting with everyday americans. lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
            I spose the private gateways could be under renovation....?
            they would already have an alternate route to the private jets BEFORE they started renovation.

there are ways to get around your pickle. you have to be creative but in a realistic way. hint - don't use a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
              they would already have an alternate route to the private jets BEFORE they started renovation.
              :cry: Well - I kinda like Emily's solution...

there are ways to get around your pickle. you have to be creative but in a realistic way. hint - don't use a gun.
              My method is already pretty creative (I think). I'm using thirty all singing all dancing flash-mob assassins - which is why I need a large public area. (eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k )

This is where you tell me the fire-arm detector things are at the main foyer entrance at U.S. airports...

I think i've been incredibly naive now. (thinks furiously)

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
                I'm guessing that any figure important enough to warrant Secret-Service protection would never pass through public airport buildings... But I have a Senator being assassinated in Dulles airport foyer, despite having eight secret-service agents in attendance.

LOL

Would my script get away with this, or be jeered out of court? It's only my opening scene, not the entire thrust of the story - if that makes any difference...?

If travelling through is too unlikely, then would any figure requiring secret-service protection ever open (say) a new airport terminal? If so, what level of figure - Senator, Governer, anybody else?

Many thanks
                Does it have to be Dulles? If not, you could have it so his jet has mechanical problems (accident or sabotage?) and has to land at some podunk strip with little or no security/amenities whatsoever. As for his assailants, let's say they get word of the diversion somehow (maybe there's a plant on the politician's plane) and now have to scramble to get to the airfield. Now you've upped the suspense with the assailants racing to get to the new location before its too late.

Probably way out in left field, but throw'n it out there.

Comment

hey! i think that was rigged. too many people knew the routine. LOL!
                  that is creative but it might only work at disney world

and i agree emily's solution would work. see my comment about mccain.

i have another suggestion. when VP joe biden was a humble senator from delaware he was one of the few senators who did not have a home in DC. he took the train from DC to delaware every single day. he left from union station which is 2 blocks from the senate buildings.

see what goes on there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOSBpsQp1FI
                  and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6HL3j2AHg&feature=fvw
                  you could do something similar... some kind of demonstration that was theme related to your story.

Comment

Thanks bio

That sounds a great idea for a meatier scene that I'm after. Which makes me think if I want to keep it short and simple I'll have to ditch the secret-service, and probably the politician too. Not a major issue really. LOL But still thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                      Does it have to be Dulles? If not, you could have it so his jet has mechanical problems (accident or sabotage?) and has to land at some podunk strip with little or no security/amenities whatsoever. As for his assailants, let's say they get word of the diversion somehow (maybe there's a plant on the politician's plane) and now have to scramble to get to the airfield. Now you've upped the suspense with the assailants racing to get to the new location before its too late.

Probably way out in left field, but throw'n it out there.
                      this could be a good solution if it were 15 yrs ago. but dc air space now is monitored too closely. this just yesterday: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/22/dc....ted/index.html is an incident that happens at least once a year. secret service/fighter jets would be on that little podunk strip in seconds.

Comment

hey! i think that was rigged. too many people knew the routine. LOL!
                        that is creative but it might only work at disney world

and i agree emily's solution would work. see my comment about mccain.

i have another suggestion. when VP joe biden was a humble senator from delaware he was one of the few senators who did not have a home in DC. he took the train from DC to delaware every single day. he left from union station which is 2 blocks from the senate buildings.

see what goes on there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOSBpsQp1FI
                        and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6HL3j2AHg&feature=fvw
                        you could do something similar... some kind of demonstration that was theme related to your story.
                        mmmmmmmmm disney world

There has to be a way around this... and you've opened s few more doors there. Thanks again

Comment

For some reason the Senator must rush home from Washington. His secretary books him on the next commercial flight which is quicker to arrange than any private charter.

Of course the assassin knows which flight. The assassin is tracking the Senator or the assassin set up the reason for the Senator's having to rush out of town.

Comment

this could be a good solution if it were 15 yrs ago. but dc air space now is monitored too closely. this just yesterday: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/22/dc....ted/index.html is an incident that happens at least once a year. secret service/fighter jets would be on that little podunk strip in seconds.
                            True that, but if they were diverted to a rural Maryland cornfield, radar sabotaged by a assassin/hijacker... It would be a race against the clock, pretty damn suspenseful as the assassins, SS and airforce all rushed to the scene.

I like the mob flash idea too, think that could work also.

Comment

Re: Assassinating important politicians?

Cool There seems to be enough doubt about its infeasibility that I could leave it as it stands. I'm not going to be around the people who'll be in the fallout zone - I'm moving in the distant background along with the little people.

Woohoo

Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X