Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Catch 22 is driving me crazy.

I don't want to whine, but I'm a bit frustrated, though I'm sure I'm not the first, nor will I be the last, writer with this problem.

I starting writing again and have two scripts, and one in the works. I had a script optioned and in development before (almost ten years ago.) I have the rights to two historical fiction novels by a Pulitzer Prize-winning author, dead since the late '50's. Very popular in his time. Tremendous stories, fun and funny and action-packed.

I've been working on getting an agent or manager, but also querying producers who might want a package - books and script.

Yesterday I called a major, major prodco. Perfect group for this kind of story. Spoke with someone, pitched them. They sent me on to a creative exec. and I pitched her. She said to email her back the details so she can put it before the chief creative person. I did that. She got back to me in 45 minutes. Said they "couldn't read the script unless it was from a manager or an agent. Please have your manager or agent contact us"

I am now trying to entice an agent or manager to consider repping me and getting this project to the big name producers asap, but I'm getting the old, "we aren't allowed to accept any unsolicited submissions," line, even when I explain this situation.

I have some connections I can go to, but first I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I hate to call on my old contacts unless I absolutely have to. Not that we didn't have an amiable relationship. Just hate to do it if I don't have to.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Johnnycomelately; 02-25-2009, 05:37 PM. Reason: Don't know how, but there were all these funky fonts and type sizes inserted into these comments. I took them out.

Re: This Catch 22 is driving me crazy.

I think you should just contact managers and try and get them onboard with your existing material and new material.

I also think this should've been your first step, not the CE's at Prod. Companies.

That's IMO, good luck regardless.

EJ

Comment

Did they phone you? Can't you ask them to put it in an email?
      A lovely being, scarcely formed or moulded,
      A rose with all its sweetest leaves yet folded.

Comment

I don't understand why you don't want to contact your hold contacts. You said you don't want to if you don't have to. What does that mean? This is a business of contacts. If you have any -- old or new -- you should use them. My suggestion would be to call the old ones with a new, fresh, enthusiastic attitude. Tell them that you're back in the game with your best material to date. Take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Q View Post
          Did they phone you? Can't you ask them to put it in an email?

I do have the request in an email. No one's asked to see it, but I've got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
            I don't understand why you don't want to contact your hold contacts. You said you don't want to if you don't have to. What does that mean? This is a business of contacts. If you have any -- old or new -- you should use them. My suggestion would be to call the old ones with a new, fresh, enthusiastic attitude. Tell them that you're back in the game with your best material to date. Take it from there.

The contacts I had, a producer and an actor, were very active in the business ten years ago, with some big projects. The producer is not so active now. And the projects the producer does are the exact opposite of what I've got now. The actor - pretty high profile now. But he's in production until late March.

So, I can contact them if I absolutely have to, but I don't think they'll be as useful to me as an agent or manager who's working for me.

I have been querying agents and managers for a while, but wasn't that aggressive. My bad.

Comment

I would keep phoning managers. It's hard to believe someone wouldn't come on board with this, especially since you've already opened the door at the prodco.

As a last resort, you might call an entertainment attorney. They'll want a percentage, of course. Or a flat fee (which might be pricey) for the submission.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
                I would keep phoning managers. It's hard to believe someone wouldn't come on board with this, especially since you've already opened the door at the prodco.

As a last resort, you might call an entertainment attorney. They'll want a percentage, of course. Or a flat fee (which might be pricey) for the submission.
                I do have an entertainment attorney that I've worked with over the years. Maybe I should see if the prodco will accept the submisison from the atty, not just an agent or manager?

And I am continuing to call agents and managers.

Thanks.

Comment

Prodcos accept submissions from attorneys all the time. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
                    Prodcos accept submissions from attorneys all the time. Good luck.
                    Okay. I checked with them and they said they'd be happy to have my atty. contact them.

And I sent her an email to see if she'll do it.

Thank you all for your good suggestions!

Comment

Not to be a bummer, but you can't find a more more difficult sub-genre, historical fiction, to break into for a writer. When they're made, they're "prestige projects" and thus, an A-lister would get these assignments -- your Bill Nicholsons, Tony Kushners (see Lincholn), John Logans. It's just not a genre that they put up&comers in b/c it's the most difficult genre to get a greenlight -- you need a Spielberg to get the Lincoln proj going. Or a Ridley Scott for Gladiator.

I just don't see your typical late 20's-early 30's male manager, hopping up & down for this type of material -- unless, somehow you can sneak in homosexual jokes and/or fart jokes (just kidding, although many historical peops are just like us now so... ).

Not to be discouraging, but me thinks that's what the problem is. But yes, if you want to proceed -- you need some form of rep, perhaps a lawyer would fit the bill. Or a manager that really believes in your long-term potential -- but you have to be an amazing writer, like the top, to really get something going I'm afraid.

Comment

What do you all think about asking said company that's interested in doing business with you what agents/managers they work with a lot? You might have better luck getting someone on board that they work with. (I ask this question not just for Johnny's situation, but in general in this type of situation).

Just a thought/question.
                        "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

Originally posted by writer0825 View Post
                          What do you all think about asking said company that's interested in doing business with you what agents/managers they work with a lot? You might have better luck getting someone on board that they work with. (I ask this question not just for Johnny's situation, but in general in this type of situation).

Just a thought/question.
                          That's an interesting idea. I may try that. I have an entertainment atty., so I'm hoping she'll agree to submit this, but in the meantime I'm still looking for an agent and/or manager.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by 25 O'Clock View Post
                            Not to be a bummer, but you can't find a more more difficult sub-genre, historical fiction, to break into for a writer. When they're made, they're "prestige projects" and thus, an A-lister would get these assignments -- your Bill Nicholsons, Tony Kushners (see Lincholn), John Logans. It's just not a genre that they put up&comers in b/c it's the most difficult genre to get a greenlight -- you need a Spielberg to get the Lincoln proj going. Or a Ridley Scott for Gladiator.
                            Well, the prodco that wants to see the script works with A-list directors on big projects all the time, which is why I contacted them.

Having the rights to the two novels helps, I hope.

But once they see it they could hate the whole thing, so I'm not going to get excited. Just keep working.

Thanks for your input, though. I appreciate the perspective.

Comment

Johnny--use an entertainment lawyer.
                              Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
                              Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

Working...
                              X