Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juno - Playing Everywhere Christmas Day

What was the deal with Juno? It was only in select theatres, like the little indie joint down the block from me. Now it's playing everywhere. So, is this another indie success film?

With the big guys passing on all the good stories to bring back old tv shows, cartoons, comic book characters and video games to the screen, should we unknowns focus on producing our own films? It seems like when they start making money is when they start to show interest in good films.

Re: Juno - Playing Everywhere Christmas Day

Juno is from Fox Searchlight - in other words a 'studio' film.

Comment

What Goon Squad said.

Don't revise history to suit your distorted view of reality.

Juno was not a self financed and self made film.

It was a script that was sold to a major studio, produced by a major studio, promoted by a major studio and distributed by a major studio.

Obviously studios buy all kinds of stories.

Instead of making excuses for why your script didn't sell, try making reasons for someone to buy it.

Comment

ouch. i see why they call him dramaking, lol.

@LisaJohnTre

good stories is a very subjective topic as are good movies/scripts

i can't comment on Juno since i didn't see it for myself. the concept didn't really grab me but it wouldn't be fair to say its not a good movie without seeing it.

there have been a good amount of movies i thought would suck and then ended up being one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaKing View Post
          What Goon Squad said.

Don't revise history to suit your distorted view of reality.

Juno was not a self financed and self made film.

It was a script that was sold to a major studio, produced by a major studio, promoted by a major studio and distributed by a major studio.

Obviously studios buy all kinds of stories.

Instead of making excuses for why your script didn't sell, try making reasons for someone to buy it.
          Drama King certainly fits you perfectly as a screen name.

First off, I only have ONE script and I haven't even marketed it yet. Secondly, I only thought Juno was independent since it was in selected markets, and a theatre that NEVER has major productions shown there. So I stand corrected on that. Sorry.

The biggest hangup I have had about becoming a writer is that some of them have such nasty attitudes like Drama King. I'm actually a very nice person. Maybe I should be an executive producer instead.

Comment

In tenth place with 3.4 mil?
            http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
              Limited Release.

Christmas it will go wider.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                It's only in about 300 theatres. It averaged around 3750 per theatre, low mediocre performance, but it's building so much hype with the critics and media, it could really pick up steam.

Comment

You can track films individually or compare them on charts here:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

JUNO doesn't look too expensive so it should do OK.

Just saw the trailer minutes ago for the 1st time. I don't know... the actors' deliveries sounded off to me & it didn't come off as too funny. Kinda flat actually. I think they could have done a better job with the trailer, but I haven't seen the movie, just read the script...

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                    It's only in about 300 theatres. It averaged around 3750 per theatre, low mediocre performance, but it's building so much hype with the critics and media, it could really pick up steam.
                    Where did you see 3750? According to the link Stvnla provided its average is over 11, 000.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071224/...C3xXnVP.EE1vAI

Comment

I'm sure it's a good movie, and I'm sure she's an above average writer.

But do they really have to try SO hard. "Virtually untouched from the first draft."..."Banged it out in a Starbucks in Target."

They just come over like used car salesmen.
                        Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post

Just saw the trailer minutes ago for the 1st time. I don't know... the actors' deliveries sounded off to me & it didn't come off as too funny. Kinda flat actually. I think they could have done a better job with the trailer, but I haven't seen the movie, just read the script...
                          Trailer is the best you're gonna get really. I saw it tonight. It wasn't very funny.

It had its funny moments, most of which made it to the trailer, and even those weren't THAT funny.

They are just fooling people (or people are fooling themselves?) to thinking it's a comedy when it's more of a dramedy. Ellen Page tries too hard and I think she is a good actress, just when she tries to get all unique you can tell her dialogue sucks and it isn't funny. Michael Cera does a pretty good job with what he's got. He definitely has the awkward thing going for him, it's funny.

Anyway, I personally felt the movie was similar to Garden State in terms of genre. It wasn't as good as Garden State, but they try to pull the quirkiness funny stuff and that's where the humor (even if there isn't much) comes from.

The rest is drama stuff. It was pretty good though, got better towards the end. Not a perfect movie, think some things coulda been thought through more...

I give it a 6.7/10, eh, maybe 7/10 cuz I feel going down to the 6's.
                          Last edited by JayKid; 12-26-2007, 01:01 PM.

Comment

JayKid-

I get the feeling your review is a pretty accurate assessment of the movie.

But what is "corkiness"

Quirky?... cocky?... a combo of the two?

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
                              JayKid-

I get the feeling your review is a pretty accurate assessment of the movie.

But what is "corkiness"

Quirky?... cocky?... a combo of the two?

Yeah, are we talking about a movie, or a glass of wine?

Comment

Working...
                              X