Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, actual zombie films?

I feel like I've seen every contemporary zombie film, and some old classics like White Zombie. What are some good ones I may not have heard of?

PS, we're talking actual zombies here. 28 Days Later is not a zombie movie.
    Originally posted by Great White Mark
    Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Re: Good, actual zombie films?

The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake is the best of the lot to date, IMHO.

Comment

THE HORDE: Badassed French film that predates THE RAID but shares some similarities. This puppy moves like a Gallic version of Left4Dead.

DANCE OF THE DEAD: Not to be confused with the awful Masters of Horror episode, this is a rockin' zomedy along the lines of RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD. Really nails that early 80s vibe. In a good way.

WASTING AWAY: Really interesting take on the genre. Starts off sort of clunky, but once the hook kicks in it's fun.

LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE: One of the first NotLD knockoffs, this Spanish/English collab has some pretty cool atmospherics. Not bad at all.

CEMETERY MAN (AKA: DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE): Italian. Confusing as hell, but beautiful stuff. Especially Anna Falchi. It's also pretty funny, if your humor runs that way.

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS and SLITHER: Both are zomedies featuring space worms that turn folks into zombies. Both are really funny. And gory.

PONTYPOOL: Not exactly a zombie film by your rules, but this is definitely recommended if you can roll with a more cerebral approach to the genre.

DEAD MEAT: Not perfect, but it's Ireland's only zombie entry and it's not bad. Balances the gore, the comedy and atmosphere pretty well.

UNDEAD: Aussie zombie flick has elements of Mad Max meets the X-Files. With zombies.

RAMMBOCK: BERLIN UNDEAD: Not great, but efficient. For some reason I keep going back to this one.

CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS: One of Bob "A CHRISTMAS STORY" Clark's first films, this has some excruciating comedy for the first hour, then really kicks in with a pretty cool zombies rising from the graveyard scene. And then the horrible actors get eaten.

VERSUS: Japanese actioner really moves. Yukuza fight zombies in a forest. Lots of gunfire, asskicking and flying limbs. Funny, too.

COLIN: Extremely low budget Brit film only cost a hundred bucks to make. So they say. Cool experiment, though. Has its moments...the battle to the death in a sorority house is pretty gnarly no-budget filmmaking.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I rather liked Fido. But I'm not a zombie afficionado so take it with a grain of something.

Comment

I'll second FIDO - a comedy about a post-zombie apocalypse LEAVE IT TO BEAVER type family and their pet undead.

I obviously have no idea what is and isn't a zombie movie, since I think I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, WHITE ZOMBIE, and SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW are zombie movies and NOTLD isn't really...

- Bill (REC)
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

DEAD SNOW - Norwegian movie about Nazi zombies. Also kind of a spoof in some ways.
            Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              NOTLD isn't really...
              Heresy. Explain yourself.
              Originally posted by Great White Mark
              Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

As in if you wanna get technical, old school zombies weren't dead. And they didn't eat flesh. They were just drugged puppets. So the debate about what is and isn't a zombie gets cluttered.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE. Creepy movie by Val Lewton (Cat People). About the only zombie movie I like. Probably the original.
                  Always choose cognac over cocaine -- Jon Lord

Comment

Originally posted by nou View Post
                    PS, we're talking actual zombies here. 28 Days Later is not a zombie movie.
                    Making this kind of distinction (especially zombie "fans" who sneer at 28DL) is like fans of alien movies loving "Alien" but hating it if it turned out the creature had been a man-made biological experiment and not extra terrestrial. 28DL has all the ingredients of a zombie movie: apocalyptic, savage humanoid beasts that are unable to be reasoned with and who want to rip apart the remnants of civilised society. The only difference is a technicality - but the content is the same. I'll never understand people who feel the need to separate and divide in this manner.
                    M.A.G.A.

Comment

If the goal is to find obscure zombie movies, Night of the Comet has pretty much been forgotten (and maybe rightfully so).

I'm not saying it's a good movie, but it's got some zombies and it's covered in dust.
                      On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Night of the Comet is awesomeness personified.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

"Let's play scary noises!"

*CLICK*

"Oooh. Wasn't that scary?"

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I don't know what real zombie movies are, but in my world Pandorum is one and I loved it!

Comment

REC

I also agree with Fido and Dead Snow

And Shaun of the Dead, for crying out loud.
                              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                              X