X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films Based On Bible Stories

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
    Genesis from 'satan's' point of view.
    Could be Hell to pay, if you don't secure the Life Rights beforehand!
    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Hollywood To Produce Big Budget Films Based On Bible Stories

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
      There was a big story about this after the success of THE PASSION, but the hoopla lost steam somewhere along the line. Good to see it gain momentum.

I'd love to see a film on the life of King David. If done right it could be awesome.
      Only if they don't sanitize it and include the part about the cutting off of Philistinesforeskins.

Comment

Originally posted by nou View Post
        No Heston no care
        I missed my chance - I always wanted to do a series of videos "Charlton Heston Narrates Smutty Bible Stories".

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Anybody seen ...And God Spoke? Pretty funny '90s mockumentary about the filming of a Biblical epic that goes utterly awry. Like the actress hired to play Eve showing up on set with a massive snake tattoo...

Comment

Originally posted by Authorized View Post
            Besides, Noah (Russell Crowe) other big budget, studio, Bible-related films are in the works...

http://planet.infowars.com/entertain...-bible-stories
            Personally, I happen to think that this whole genre -- the biblical/ancient epic, is one of those genres that exist solely for the purpose of having otherwise decent directors essentially wreck themselves by trying to do something decent in.

With all due respect to those who have a different opinion -- Cecil B. DeMille's Biblical epics -- they suck. Apart from a handful of cool scenes that may add up to twenty minutes in total, the 10 Commandments is close to three hours of unwatchable, ludicrous, embarrassing tripe.

Samson and Delilah -- even worse. It's comically awful.

Probably the best of the whole bunch is Ben Hur, but get away from the action sequences -- the chariot race and the galley sequences and it plunges into utter mediocrity.

These movies are either dull as dishwater -- and that includes all of attempts at the life of Christ. Dull, pious, lifeless -- or else absurd, sexed-up and phony like all of DeMille's movies with his milk baths and his "Moses, Moses, Moses!" stuff.

Probably the best of the bunch is Prince of Egypt -- not that it's either historically or Biblically accurate, but it doesn't claim to be and just on its own terms, it's actually pretty good.

Of course, that's always a real problem when you go back in time as far as any movie like this has to go. The ancient Israelites lived in a society that was so restrictive and dogmatic it would make the Taliban seem progressive in comparison.

How do you throw a contemporary audience into the midst of such a world with anything approaching historical accuracy and expect them to relate to it or even to understand it?

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
              With all due respect to those who have a different opinion -- Cecil B. DeMille's Biblical epics -- they suck. Apart from a handful of cool scenes that may add up to twenty minutes in total, the 10 Commandments is close to three hours of unwatchable, ludicrous, embarrassing tripe.

Samson and Delilah -- even worse. It's comically awful.
              This reaction is completely familiar to me, though I couldn't disagree more. But it's a reaction that art such as DeMille's often engenders. "Love it or hate it," truly.

I'd compare it to architecture. My favourite architectural period is the latter 19th century, the time of historicism (Neo-Gothic, Neo-Romanesque, etc.). I consider it grand and sublime. I love its unapologetic maximalism. I respond to it.

But to the modernists (Mies van der Rohe, etc.), it invited those all-too-familiar, glib, 20th-century denunciations ("bombastic" "kitsch", etc.).

DeMille's films have a similarly lavish, opulent aesthetic. One loves it or one doesn't. I, for one, love it.

Same with late-19th-century Romanticism in music (Wagner, Bruckner, Richard Strauss, etc.). I consider that the pinnacle of music, as do many. But to some ears, it's just too much.

I actually think the current crop of biblical films have a shot at doing well precisely because of the increasing secularism of society. One no longer has to worry as much about historical "fidelity" (assuming there's any real history there to be faithful to in the first place), and instead, one can go all-out for spectacle.

I expect that biblical films will increasingly relate to the bible the way the Clash of the Titans / Immortals films relate to Greek myth -- i.e., only insofar as the source material can be mined to create an entertaining spectacle.
              Last edited by karsten; 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
                How do you throw a contemporary audience into the midst of such a world with anything approaching historical accuracy and expect them to relate to it or even to understand it?
                Well, this presumes that audiences need to relate to or even understand a time period to be entertained by a film and to enjoy watching it. But do they? I mean, how many people watching 300 could relate to the Spartan code of honour? To the glory of dying in the service of the state? To heroes whose entire life was bred for battle, in whom any trace of weakness is contemptible? To most modern viewers, such sentiments must be as alien as anything in Greek myth or Christian myth or Norse myth. And yet 300 did very well.

Besides, "anything approaching historical accuracy" seems to be continually glaringly absent in Hollywood -- a much in the case of period films being released recently as in the case of period films released during the 1950s. Perhaps moreso.

Comment

Working...
                X