Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Had my first meeting with a manager...

My gut reaction: this manager thought you have writing chops, but he wasn't particularly into script. Could be any of a number of reasons. Doesn't think it's what the market is shopping for right now, not along the genre/budget where he has the most connections, etc. He's not super concerned about giving you notes, because he doesn't think this is the script you should go out with.

So basically now the manager wants to help guide you on your next project so it's something more along those lines. I'd say listen to what he says about the next script and see if that's something you're interested in writing. You can still keep hunting around for a different manager, but it's not like you're going to stop writing anyway.

Comment

Re NOTES:

With my latest script it's the highest level producer I've worked with, most busy, most in demand, etc. A beast in the industry.

Originally, I was told he had 'a few notes… nothing major.' It took him several weeks to get the notes to me (3-4 weeks-ish). I then received 8 pages of incredibly detailed notes that read like a pitch doc, as far as the thoughtfulness of their construction. Notes spanning everything from thematic proposition to character lines. Some of it was more of a demand, some of it was more of a suggestion, some of it something to consider while moving forward. -- I think it's a decent barometer: How in depth the notes are reflect the level of interest, particularly the higher up the food chain you go. Detailed notes take time to craft, particularly when they are extremely well written.

The fact that your guy [and I promise you he's not as busy as this particular producer -- Three films in production now. One a franchise.] couldn't get his notes together for your script, that would raise a red flag for me, as far as his true interest in my script.

I like EdFury's advice. Keep shopping it. You owe him nothing, particularly with zero commitment from him and having demonstrated only a vague whiff of interest during your meeting. I think, at the end of the day, he's looking to glom onto your script -OR- have you write something for him for FREE. Both are bad deals. Has he ever produced anything? I'd rather have a producer acting as a producer vs a manager who likely has never produced anything to the scope of your script. Don't get locked up with a manager who the town doesn't want attached [managers should manage]. Good luck.
      DOPE CITY

Comment

I don't disagree with what others have said. And I don't want to send a writer down a rabbit hole. But...

I once had a meeting with an agent that sounds very similar to the OP. He didn't have specific notes, just one overall note that the hero became passive at the end of Act II, and that my story momentarily hopped on to a supporting character.

He made me no promises and offered no representation.

I thought about his note and decided it was spot-on.

I did the work and sent it back to him a month later. By the end of the week, we were in to every studio.

In hindsight, I see that he believed in my concept, but he didn't believe in me yet. He didn't want to commit to spending hours and hours of timing trying to develop this story. But once I proved I could deliver on his notes, then he very quickly blasted it - and me - around town.

Every case is different. There's a certain point where you need to sever a relationship in order to protect your sanity and time. I don't think you've reached that point yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
          Every case is different. There's a certain point where you need to sever a relationship in order to protect your sanity and time. I don't think you've reached that point yet.
          True... but also keep in mind that it's not an agents job to give notes, necessarily, they want scripts after the manager has done that work with you. Agents don't like to roll up their sleeves and get their manicured nails dirty [I'm referring to male agents *wink wink*]

I think, said and done, it's worth [if said manager ever gets his notes together] to do the ones you believe ring true. Not let him attach if he hasn't produced something to that scope. And play it out with a reasonable degree of skepticism unless he really steps up to represent you.

Another aspect to consider: It does matter who reps you. A manager who is low on the food chain, their scripts go for coverage whereas one with more clout may be tight with XYZ producer who will personally read your script, allowing you to bypass the readers and execs working for him. Then, later, after said producer champions your work to his execs... then they get to read it and "agree that it's as great as their boss believes it to be."

There are many ways to do this...
          DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
            How in depth the notes are reflect the level of interest, particularly the higher up the food chain you go. Detailed notes take time to craft, particularly when they are extremely well written.
            I understand why people would think this. But it's not necessarily true.

I worked at one place where we would consistently send out a combined 30 or so pages of notes from 5-6 different people plus a combined effort when there was zero chance the project was going anywhere. We'd still be doing that on the 10th rewrite too. And there are actually some places that will always send back detailed notes to people no matter how they felt about the project because somebody is getting tasked with doing the damn coverage, so why not.

If you know with absolute certainty that the thoughts are those of the person who owns/runs the company? Then maybe it does mean something that the notes are more detailed, especially if they're a busy person. But odds are, the notes are not just the one person's thoughts (my current boss doesn't read scripts, at all). And there's also the argument that, if there's enough wrong with the script for such detailed notes, then perhaps it isn't that great.

Comment

Originally posted by juunit View Post
              I understand why people would think this. But it's not necessarily true.

I worked at one place where we would consistently send out a combined 30 or so pages of notes from 5-6 different people plus a combined effort when there was zero chance the project was going anywhere. We'd still be doing that on the 10th rewrite too. And there are actually some places that will always send back detailed notes to people no matter how they felt about the project because somebody is getting tasked with doing the damn coverage, so why not.

If you know with absolute certainty that the thoughts are those of the person who owns/runs the company? Then maybe it does mean something that the notes are more detailed, especially if they're a busy person. But odds are, the notes are not just the one person's thoughts (my current boss doesn't read scripts, at all). And there's also the argument that, if there's enough wrong with the script for such detailed notes, then perhaps it isn't that great.
              I hear you…nothing in this industry is necessarily true or false, everyone has a conflicting story to present as evidence in favor or against.

But, yes, I meant, as you said, if you are certain the notes are coming from say, the producer himself, and you've actually met with them and they showed great excitement about the project and you've been building this relationship over some months through the development process of going back and forth on drafts, emails, meetings because they've attached as the producer of the material and asked their reps [5 of them at CAA] to help package it -- and have begun discussing director submissions with you [something in that realm is what I'm referring to].

I think that producer believes in the script or he wouldn't be wasting ANY time with the script. Too many other projects he could be dealing with. Still… sure it could all fall apart on a dime.

^That^ as opposed to a blind submissions and receiving blind notes from some unknown reader.

As for my project. The producer is the most excited guy in the room at meetings. I honestly don't know if his execs get it the way he does and may not even like it. Hard to say.

But I agree with your general takeaway. Totally depends. As with everything in this business. The distinction you bring up is fully relevant, as it is an important one.

ADDENDUM: As I proceed with my project I am fully aware of the potential [strong potential] for it to die literally overnight. Despite whatever degree of excitement or nice words anyone has for it, now. Been there done that. One day we're rolling with a full team in place, looking like it's going to get made, overnight it's dead. Via email no less. Showrunner said something to the effect of "I've taken another gig and therefore no longer available. Best of luck!" Without that piece it died, everyone left the project for various reasons. And… I had no idea a showrunner could simply walk from their contract [I guess that's what you get to do if you're important enough]. Lesson learned.

^probably something to keep in mind, OP^
              Last edited by surftatboy; 02-29-2016, 06:29 PM.
              DOPE CITY

Comment

He's not wanting to develop it to produce, he's developing it to show to his team of managers. His main comment was that since this is my first script being sent out it's important that we get it right, and he wants it to be perfect when he presents it to the teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by wsaunders View Post
                  I sent an email on friday afternoon saying something to the effect of "Thanks for meeting, I look forward to working together. I should have the new draft for you this week." I didn't get a response, but like I said, it was friday afternoon, and there wasn't really anything particularly necessary for him to respond to.
                  While at some point not hearing back from people becomes a "not interested," it's easy to forget how many emails these people get. Heck, there's a producer I'm working with who didn't respond to an email of mine from a week ago. I pinged him again this week and heard back. It happens. (Not that you should ping this guy again - I only do that when I'm waiting on something actionable from them).

Originally posted by wsaunders View Post
                  He's not wanting to develop it to produce, he's developing it to show to his team of managers. His main comment was that since this is my first script being sent out it's important that we get it right, and he wants it to be perfect when he presents it to the teammates.
                  Well, I'll give you my standard advice about this, which would apply if he's your manager or not:

Unless you're being paid, only ever make changes you believe in. I just don't know many (or any) stories about people writing to make somebody else happy which have happy endings.

I also don't think page notes are necessarily relevant or not at this point. Generally, if you're giving somebody structural notes, you hold off on the page note stuff - there's time enough for that later. The note, "The rear view mirrors on this motorcycle need to be more stylish," is completely unnecessary if there is also a note that, "This motorcycle should be an SUV."

Comment

His note was insightful and critical to the story so I think it needs to be addressed. I'm going to send him the updated draft, and see if he responds. If not, c'est la vie.

Comment

Small update: I sent him the new draft and he responded within the hour that he was "looking forward to reading it and would have notes asap" so that's a good sign.

Comment

Congrats... You will hear nothing for 2-4 weeks. I'm going on week 5 [producer has 3 films shooting].

Back to writing that other thing, yeah?
                        DOPE CITY

Comment

This Thursday it will be two weeks, not terribly long, but im wondering how long would be appropriate, and if it would be rude to reach out and see how it's coming?

Comment

I'd give it another week. The email is exactly this.

Hi ______,

Checking in. Thanks!

Name
                            DOPE CITY

Comment

Working...
                            X