Did Diablo Cody Really Spend A Year Stripping?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did Diablo Cody Really Spend A Year Stripping?

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    EJ:

Have you read the script?
    Yes.

?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by Landis26 View Post
      Sometimes they do.

But really, after all this exposure wouldn't someone she stripped with come forward just to get in the limelight. Do interviews "oh, yeah I remember when me a Diablo..." Most strippers would do it, figuring they could cash in on knowing her (up the price of a personal pole dance). And no one, as of yet, has come forward. She's been on Letterman, Leno and doing interviews everywhere, and not a peep out of anyone. These people, strippers and strip club owners, don't live in a vacuum. They would have heard something. And did she ever mention the names (fake names like her's) of some of the strippers she worked with in any of her blogs, or funny incidents with fellows strippers and patrons?
      She said she changed the names of the other strippers to avoid lawsuits.

I'm also suprised no club owner has stepped forward to say, "See? I hired her!"

Not a peep -- and we all know how much time I've spent reseraching.

-------------------------------------

Writerly wrote:

But it is very low concept and I agree with you on the point that that logline wouldn't fly around town standing on its own.

Thank you. Essentially that has been my entire point.

The public relations tool of "stripper-turned-screenwriter" pushed this script forward.

If I am correct about the inconsistencies I've found contradicting the book's claim that she worked full time as a stripper for an entire year, then it's even more annoying.

And - yeah - for female writers it's hard enough to be judged for your talent in an industry uninterested in scripts with female leads.

Now we have to have a shocking PR angle.

Trash me, I don't care. I've made a valid point.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
        Yes.

?

EJ
        Your opinion on the script?
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Are you really upset that an artist may have used some artistry in describing her past. That sounds like those bitter historians who complain about inaccuracies in movies. Get over yourself.

It's nothing more than good marketing.

The package of writer and script were marketed.

Thinking that a writer and scripts can and should be marketed with nothing but unvarnished honesty is no doubt the reason why you have yet to achieve success.

How many query letters and pitches do you begin with listing your past failures?

You don't market something by accentuating the negative or the boring. You market something by accentuating the positive and exciting.

Diablo's success is a result of her abilities as a writer and a hustler. She and her people accentuated the interesting, the unique and the salacious.

That's not just savvy business practice, it's essential.

Stop looking for faults. It makes you sound like a bitter jealous hag.

I think your time would be more productive if instead of finding fault with Diablo's success, you learned form it.

FWIW, I think Juno is well written with a subject matter that is limiting.
          Last edited by DramaKing; 12-06-2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

And - yeah - for female writers it's hard enough to be judged for your talent in an industry uninterested in scripts with female leads.

Now we have to have a shocking PR angle.

Trash me, I don't care. I've made a valid point.
            ================================================== =====

You didn't even come close to making a point.

You can't use one isolated case to prove a rule.

For every Diablo there are dozens of Jane Does who are selling scripts without a shocking PR angle. Diablo is clearly the exception, not the rule.

Everyone understands that except for you.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
              Diablo Cody is a fake name. Duh.
              Wow, no kidding...check please.

Comment

Your opinion on the script?
                I thought it was a quirky character study. Reminded me in parts of Pretty Persuasion.

So it sold, and Spielberg pissed his pants, which frankly, gives me hope. If this material can sell, then we've all still got a shot.

EJ

Comment

cynicide says:

And what difference does it make if she stripped 5 times or 500 times?

So you're cool with fabricating a memoir?

I'm not.
                  You don't care that she fabricated a memoir. You care that she sold a script and got publicity. If she hadn't gotten all this publicity as a screenwriter, would you have taken all the time to do this research? Do you do this amount of research on every memoirist?
                  "Witticism"
                  -Some Guy

Comment

Now I 'm a jealous hag for questioning claims in a book sold as a true memoir.

I'm not surprised, actually. I knew full well I would be slammed for this topic.

A couple of years ago I received an email from a guy who found my resume on a regional site for professional freelance writers.

He was interested in my background as an English Lit major and the fact that I taught creative writing at college level for a year.

He asked me if I either had existing college papers to sell him, or if I would like to be paid for writing "fully researched, footnoted" college papers, on Shakespeare, Jane Eyre, Beowulf, etc.

He said he was a college student himself and he included a link to his term paper business.

I wrote back declining his offer and suggested that it would be of great value for students to read the classics themselves and write their own papers.

I also pointed out that students shouldn't be turning in papers they haven't written themselves. Universities have rules against that.

What I got back from this kid was a verbal a$$whipping, told I was a moron, and that only a$$holes write their own college papers.

And then he expressed he was clearly miffed that I should have congratulated him on starting a business even before he's graduated college.

Oh yes -- I was the evil one. And I hurt his feelings by withholding my applause for his business acumen.

Somehow lying has become legitimized and those who value truth are morons.

Comment

Originally posted by cynicide View Post
                      You don't care that she fabricated a memoir. You care that she sold a script and got publicity.
                      Reading comprehension. C-.

Comment

Reading comprehension. C-.
                        Again, SC, if she hadn't sold a script, would you have gone to all this trouble?
                        "Witticism"
                        -Some Guy

Comment

Which is more likely: That we are so hopelessly enamored with Diablo and brainwashed by her that we blindly defend her? Or that you come across in the two Diablo threads as a bitter hag fighting a vindictive pointless battle against a woman who has done you no harm?

Comment

Not supporting a half-assed internet accusation is hardly comparable to the college kid in your story, nor is it legitimizing lying.

Also, do you realize if you are anything "to a fault", it's not considered beneficial? Senseless tattling is not a virtue and that's what this has the appearance of, though I'm sure you don't mean it that way. One doesn't have to issue a proclamation for every truth he stumbles upon.
                            Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                              So it sold, and Spielberg pissed his pants, which frankly, gives me hope. If this material can sell, then we've all still got a shot.

EJ
                              that's what a lot of below average looking guys said when Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett.

Comment

Originally posted by cynicide View Post
                                Again, SC, if she hadn't sold a script, would you have gone to all this trouble?
                                You're still not understanding my point. Others in this thread have.

I don't want to get snarky with you, but your question is moot.

Comment

Working...
                                X