No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Killing the Movie Star

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
    There's a big difference between axing Brad Pitt and axing Guy Pearce or Steven Seagal - who, funny enough, hot in 1996 probably brought more of an audience (however niche) to EXECUTIVE DECISION than Guy Pearce did to THE HURT LOCKER as evidenced by their respective box office numbers.
    The Hurt Locker didn't have a marketing campaign built around Guy Pearce, though. It was more of a surprise cameo. Executive Decision was made to look like a Seagal/Russell team-up.

There is also such a thing as a Steven Seagal movie, but there really isn't such a thing as a Guy Pearce movie.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
      And therein lies the beauty of the trick. With the right actor, a portion of the box-office is likely generated through this technique. Use them for one day of shooting, market the movie so it looks like they're in it, then kill 'em off in the first reel. Genius.
      I just started a new thread about the movie "Played". It does this. There are a lot of well known actors but they are only it for a few minutes each.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Old school - Drew Barrymore in Scream
        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
          Not exactly a big star, but the biggest star on the picture, and one you didn't expect to get wasted right away -- FEAST
          I remember on PROJECT GREENLIGHT when they were endlessly trying to get a big star for that role, and Eric Dane was the best they could do.

Comment

I remember being pretty pissed off when Steven Segal bought it in Executive Decision. It completely changed the movie.

If you're using the whole bait and switch as a marketing ploy to increase your box office, then shame on you.
            Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              Every episode of the TV show POLICE SQUAD.
              I think William Shatner was the only one that actually survived. He probably demanded it.

Comment

I enjoy seeing Bruce Willis in a few bit parts and cameos from time to time. Ocean's Twelve and Friends for example.

He's not killed off in these roles, but if you find the right person who is comfortable in their acting career it can be fun to see. He also goes on Letterman and other talk shows even when he has nothing to plug.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipe View Post
                  I remember being pretty pissed off when Steven Segal bought it in Executive Decision. It completely changed the movie.

If you're using the whole bait and switch as a marketing ploy to increase your box office, then shame on you.
                  For me, it changed the movie for the better. Up until that point, I'd been thinking 'Well Segal is going to save the day while Russel plays the useful knowledge guy'.

I'd gone to see the movie blind and was actually a bit annoyed when I first saw him pop up as it made it seem as if I was now just going to end up watching Under Siege In A Plane. Which I guess is still how it played in the end, but killing off the special forces Alpha Male and leaving it up the Everyman character to save the day worked better for me.

I wish I owned this movie. I kind of want to watch it again now.
                  "Only nothing is impossible."
                  - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                    For me, it changed the movie for the better. Up until that point, I'd been thinking 'Well Segal is going to save the day while Russel plays the useful knowledge guy'.

I'd gone to see the movie blind and was actually a bit annoyed when I first saw him pop up as it made it seem as if I was now just going to end up watching Under Siege In A Plane. Which I guess is still how it played in the end, but killing off the special forces Alpha Male and leaving it up the Everyman character to save the day worked better for me.

Yeah, it was the most inspired moment in a mostly uninspired action film. Raised the stakes in a substantial way.

Comment

Tom Skerritt was the biggest "star" on Alien and died about halfway through. Similar to the Samual Jackson scene in "Deep Blue Sea" in that it thrusts the hero into the forefront of the action.
                      "There's one way to guarantee something won't be in the movie: put it in the screenplay."
                      -Dan O'Bannon

Comment

Originally posted by Shot Across the Bow View Post
                        Tom Skerritt was the biggest "star" on Alien and died about halfway through. Similar to the Samual Jackson scene in "Deep Blue Sea" in that it thrusts the hero into the forefront of the action.
                        No so.. John Hurt was and we all know what happened to him..

Cough. Splutter. Vomit. Choke. Struggle. Arms Flail about. Can't breath!

End up on a table. Wild, frenzy. Deaththrows. Splat!

Baby alien rips through Kane's stomach!

You know the rest....

Comment

I think it has to be in the first act for it to have the greatest impact. Once you get into the second act it should feel like any character is fair game anyway.
                          - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post
                            David Hasselhoff on YouTube.
                            That was brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post

The problem I had is Kurt Russell, even with specs, doesn't really convince as an "everyman" character stepping up; he'd played just too many heroic roles by then. It would have been better an actor unknown for playing such parts had that role.
                              @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                                The problem I had is Kurt Russell, even with specs, doesn't really convince as an "everyman" character stepping up; he'd played just too many heroic roles by then. It would have been better an actor unknown for playing such parts had that role.
                                But...but...he wore glasses!!
                                - Grant Morrison

Comment

Working...
                                X