Sold script, movie in post-prod., can't get agent...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sold script, movie in post-prod., can't get agent...

Try this guy:

http://www.artistsandartisans.com/index.htm

Book agent with lots of experience selling to Hollywood. If your agent doesn't handle film rights (or have experience in that area), then this is the type of agent you would want for this kind of deal.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckhustmyre
      By the way, I have to take exception to the "small novels" comment. I don't consider a novel by a New York publisher that gets placed in bookstores across the country, one that took a year to write, small
      It's a huge accomplishment and congratulations on that. But, you should probably be as objective about this process as you can if you want to make progress on the scripted side. Unless your name is Grisham or Childs, or something on that order, a crime novel about a detective dealing with a serial killer is small, in terms of what Hollywood is looking for. I don't know the book business, but I can give you a pretty good sense of what the feature marketplace wants in terms of IP.

Comment

Maybe next year I'll write "GLADIATOR 2: The Rise of Maximus."

Until then, I've got to sell what I've got. Since I'm a starving writer, maybe I need a starving agent.
        www.chuckhustmyre.com

Comment

How did you get this deal in the first place?
          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

SB,

No, I don't write big, commercial scripts, no "Iron Man 2" or "Spy Kids 26." Just my small, dark novels and scripts. I just had a movie produced, though, with some fairly well-known stars, so I have that going for me.

Funny, but I feel worse about my writing since coming on this board
            It's not about your writing, it's about the marketplace, I haven't read your stuff nor have (I assume) any of the people who responded to your question. Which, of course, is not to say that you won't sell the film rights to your novel and get it made. I'm just trying to share a little insight from the perspective of a person who reads queries, and scripts a lot and spends a lot of time talking to buyers.

Comment

Hey, I appreciate all the feedback. That's why I joined the forums.

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
              It's not about your writing, it's about the marketplace, I haven't read your stuff nor have (I assume) any of the people who responded to your question. Which, of course, is not to say that you won't sell the film rights to your novel and get it made. I'm just trying to share a little insight from the perspective of a person who reads queries, and scripts a lot and spends a lot of time talking to buyers.
              www.chuckhustmyre.com

Comment

Originally posted by chuckhustmyre View Post
                I'm looking for an agent, because I'm tired of sending out dozens of queries a week to producers. It's worth 10% to get back to writing, not spending all my time selling.
                Hey Chuck - I've been thinking about your situation some more. Since you love writing more than the business side, I say adapt your novel into a screenplay first then start querying again. I think you'd be able to drum up a lot more interest that way.

Comment

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Hopefully, with a script in hand and a book on the way, I'll get more interest.

Originally posted by Writr View Post
                  Hey Chuck - I've been thinking about your situation some more. Since you love writing more than the business side, I say adapt your novel into a screenplay first then start querying again. I think you'd be able to drum up a lot more interest that way.
                  www.chuckhustmyre.com

Comment

There's already a GLADIATOR 2 spec floating around out there.

BTW Congrats Chuck! Hope you find a rep.

HF

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Thanks. Maybe an agent will be a late Christmas gift.

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
                      There's already a GLADIATOR 2 spec floating around out there.

BTW Congrats Chuck! Hope you find a rep.

HF
                      www.chuckhustmyre.com

Comment

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Hopefully, with a script in hand and a book on the way, I'll get more interest.
                        Cool! I think you will. And when you query again put the focus of the email on the script and the novel. You can make some mention of your past accomplishments but your current novel and it's adapted script will get the most attention and should be front and center.

Best wishes!

Comment

I think that's smart. There's very little development money out there to acquire novels and then have to pay a writer to adapt. If you adapt your own book, you will be in a much stronger position.

Comment

Congrats on your accomplishments, Chuck. You mentioned that you might make more movies with the EP. Who repped you on the first deal? As the next deal comes together, query agents with the pending deal in hand. Good luck.

Comment

I only made $20,000, but it's a start.
                              Again, you've got more hustle than me, and this is no slight. But I've heard 250k as the annual earnings a writer should be making to keep a good agent. Obviously they sign newer writers on promise, and most aren't watching the clock if they believe in you.

This is why Telly suggested maybe not mentioning your movie. A new writer is all potential; if you've got a history of low budget work, they see it as harder to break you out of it.

Comment

Now that I have a pretty clear picture of where you are, I'd like to slightly adjust my earlier suggestion. First I would stop sending out queries and stressing yourself out. It's pointless without a script in hand.

I heard what you said earlier about feeling worse after been on this board. Welcome to DD! This is often the case around here. Everyone thinks they know the answers (including me) but it takes a writer with guts and thick skin to filter through the onslaught of flinging crap to find the true nuggets of wisdom.

So, I'd first start adapting that book so you have a unique, commercial script in hand, ready to go. When you're done and you start your query process, stick to a screenwriting theme in the query. I know you still want to write novels, but man, you're not doing yourself any favors by telling a screenwriting agent this. I would write a simple greeting, mention you have a published novel, a released film and then hit them hard with your logline.

You will naturally want to expand on your film and novel in the letter, I can tell, you're very proud of both and I get it. In fact I stick with my first suggestion of not mentioning those at all, but I can tell you're stubborn like myself, so mention it, but be brief!

If you start getting carried away about your novel and film accomplishments in the query , and I have a good idea you will, I'd suggest you step back and assess your objectives. You need to decide what you want. If you leave with anything out of this thread, I hope it's that you need to focus on screenwriting in your query. No one is saying you need to stop selling scripts to low-buget producers or writing novels, but if you want an agent to take you seriously you MUST rely on that logline and a script they can sell NOW. They have no interest in your novel or Trejo film, man. I know that hurts to hear, but having tried to pimp my other wares (novels/low-budget films) on my previous agent I learned a lot about what makes these agents tick, and your novels and films are not it. They just don't care.

They do care about what script you have NOW, ready to go and ready to sell. This is what makes them money. If they see you even slightly unfocused they will move on, as there are countless more writers who are 100% focused on screenwriting who have smart, marketable scripts ready to go. AND they can count on those writers to rock out another script immediately following the script they just wrote, or be 100% ready to take an assignment.

With the way you have your query structured now, they have a book you want to sell the rights to (which is insanely difficult) and a dude who wants to adapt that book into script (if sold) and then write more books and more low-budget scripts. Seriously, that's what they see. I know what you want them to see, but they don't see what you want, they see dollar signs, and in your query, they see no money at all.

Get the script done and query that logline. I will take it one step further since I've invested so much friggin' time into this thread. If you finish that script, shoot it to me and if it's as good as you suggest I will get it in the hands of two agents at two large agencies. One is a friend, the other is a past agent whom I'm about to re-sign with. I've done it for a couple writer's here before. The agents passed on both of them, but hey, the script was read. EDITED TO ADD CAVEAT: Sorry guys, I wont do this for anyone else so please don't PM me like last time.

I've been through your route before and I remember how exhausting it was. You'll get it soon enough if a screenwriting agent is what you really want, and I'm not so sure that's what you really want right now. Anyway.

Keep in mind, I'm still a starving writer too, but I'm 100% focused on screenwriting, back on my feet and working with a big agent again, so I'm feeling empowered right now. I've been out of writing for almost 8 months dealing with medical issues and have just now decided to jump back in and make 2011 my year! Just trying to share the love. Write the script and focus on the logline. If it's good, you'll find a rep.

Good luck!
                                Last edited by Telly; 12-30-2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X