• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spec Scout

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
    Love to hear your thoughts on this Jason

EJ
    EJ: I'd have to look at the site to be sure, but I think that means it was covered 4 times (probably a mistake on our part), plus we would have included the logline from the original spec market listing or when we saw it on the Hit List, whichever we used. 4 + 1 = 5 loglines.

You definitely shouldn't pay us for three more reviews, but without knowing your specific situation it's hard to recommend ways to leverage what's already there. Let's discuss it offline -- you can email me at j @ specscout.com We can bring the discussion back here if you think it would be helpful to the board.
    Jason Scoggins

http://www.specscout.com

or for that matter

http://www.scogginsreport.com

Comment

Hi, all. Since this seems to be the primary Spec Scout-related thread, I thought I'd post here that we launched a major revision of the site yesterday. There are so many improvements over the old site that it'd be ridiculous to list them all here. Suffice to say that the look and feel of the site has changed dramatically, it now plays nice with mobile browsers, we can take credit cards instead of just PayPal and the payment form is secure, and we're finally able to transfer in the 20 or so projects from our writer clients that scored high enough to make it into the site.

Our policies haven't changed since that TL;DR post I wrote above, on February 6. That's still the best summary of what we're doing and why. If we make any significant changes now that the relaunch is behind us, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, check out the new site. As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad.
      Jason Scoggins

http://www.specscout.com

or for that matter

http://www.scogginsreport.com

Comment

Just learned that my HEAVEN SENT is on Spec Scout.
        http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
          Just learned that my HEAVEN SENT is on Spec Scout.
          Good for you.
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

PJ - you have gone W I D E - welcome to the big league!!!
            "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Originally posted by markerstone View Post
              PJ - you have gone W I D E - welcome to the big league!!!
              Guess I better put my big girl pants on, eh? And a flak jacket.
              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Was looking up things on SpecScout and found this thread, wanted to see if anyone had any more success from it. Where it stands now? I read that the score cutoff used ot be 60, now it's 75? Wondering if the formula's been changed or if just reducing the amount of people who make it in.

Comment

I think the Spec Scout model is flawed for screenwriters in that there's no flexibility in terms of their pricing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I only see one option -- to have three reviews for $197. Granted, there's no monthly fee involved like Blacklist's $25 hosting fee, but $197 is still a lot to spend in one chunk to a lot of writers. I'm sure Spec Scout will say that their reviews are more in-depth than Black List's and that $197 is still a bargain for three reviews, but I still think they should offer more flexibility regarding the number of reviews you can get. Also, I understand that their system requires multiple reviews because it's based on an average. Still, I think a more flexible system with pricing closer to Black List's would serve them (and writers) better.

Comment

I just wanted to follow up because I ordered their coverage and just received it and I was floored by how thorough and thoughtful it was.

$197 is a little pricey up front, but for 3 sets of coverage its way worth it. Far and away better than BL evaluations. And for not much more cost wise. Though I can't speak to the value of exposure on BL vs SpecScout.

I received 13+ pages of notes. With some solid insight to things that don't work.

I did not receive a score of 75 which is a bummer, but it was darn close, but I did receive 3 considers and the scores seem to be fairly inline with other coverage people I've used Screenplay Mechanic, ScriptGal, and Wheelhouse writer.

Comment

Where are you guys getting a $197 price? All I see is $297!
                      FADE IN:
                      PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                      NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

It seems they raised it.

Comment

Are people using Spec Scout as a way to get industry eyes on your script or are people using it to get three sets of feedback for one price?

Comment

I was doing it for both, I received some really great feedback, and what I liked about it was that having three sets of eyes on it really showed larger problems, for instance if one person doesn't like something about my script i could chalk it up to opinion perhaps, but if three different people point out the same issue, say a character weakness or have the same question about a logic flaw then I know there's something really wrong there and not just a case of subjective opinion or maybe a reader skimmed something, etc.

Comment

Thanks and good luck!

Comment

I have had my script listed on Spec Scout for about a year now - got a rating higher than 75. Zero industry response.

I will say this - their coverage was fantastic. 3 separate reviews. Extremely detailed. Worth every penny - even if only to correct formatting/spelling errors for a final polish. You're essentially getting 3 separate points of view instead of 1

Their coverage is a thousand times better than the Black list. There's real effort from the readers - 3 pages of notes each. Instead of a single general paragraph of why your script doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X