Anyone switch from large management co to small?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone switch from large management co to small?

Originally posted by McWriterson View Post
    I've been at a big and medium now and I can tell you it makes zero difference.

Juunit is right, they will pay more attention to the ones who make them more money. The only exception is the honeymoon phase in the beginning of your relationship.

Does it make a difference in where they can get the scripts to? I.e. a more powerful manager can get it to a higher up versus a more junior person?

Comment

Ideally, yes more experienced managers will have more valuable relationships, but more than likely your script will still be read by an assistant first.

Go with someone who you can be friends with-- then they'll fight for you.

Comment

This is all the fun stuff to talk about, but when you're in my position and most writers who aren't near the top, you don't really get to choose. You can aim your script with your bow and arrow, but you cant pick which rep you'll hit. And which one will even know you're alive to try to rep you.

So I'm saying this thread is for writers who can switch reps easily because any rep would take them. For the rest of us, it's just a mental/wish fulfillment exercise. It's not that helpful is what I'm saying.

Comment

Ideally, yes more experienced managers will have more valuable relationships, but more than likely your script will still be read by an assistant first.

Go with someone who you can be friends with-- then they'll fight for you.

Did you see a difference in how managers work with their clients? Some are more hands on then others.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            This is all the fun stuff to talk about, but when you're in my position and most writers who aren't near the top, you don't really get to choose. You can aim your script with your bow and arrow, but you cant pick which rep you'll hit. And which one will even know you're alive to try to rep you.

So I'm saying this thread is for writers who can switch reps easily because any rep would take them. For the rest of us, it's just a mental/wish fulfillment exercise. It's not that helpful is what I'm saying.
            TRUTH!

If you've never been repped, never worked with anyone, never sold anything, etc. Take anyone who's willing to work with you, at first.

Gotta be honest: My current rep didn't care that I used to be at CAA, sold, that last script was developed with a huge producer. Only cared about THIS script.

You gotta be pretty high up or pretty hot (in this climate) to have choices.
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
              Did you see a difference in how managers work with their clients? Some are more hands on then others.
              For me:

When my ex and a younger manager were repping me, their notes were almost non-existent. And my ex's notes in general were pretty sh!tty, but she could get my script to pretty much anyone.

With my new manager it's the reverse. Way better notes, but has a harder time getting my script to "anyone." Not quite the same level of relationships.

But, yeah, the assistant is likely to read you first.

And with agents, they may not read you at all. They may just hear the script is good (from a manager), read the in-house coverage, and try to sell it based on the coverage. I've had agents admit to me that they didn't read it before taking it out "I already know how to sell this, why bother reading it?" Which, like I've said, who cares if they read it if they know how to sell it.

Also, and I find this funny: Agents ignore our loglines, when they're on a call they make up their own logline and give everything away. Which is why I'd write (not suggesting it) MY loglines that way. Give everything away, just like agents do when trying to sell our sh!t. Think about it, if you're talking to your rep about a potential idea do you hold anything back? Bet not, you tell them straight up what the BIG TWIST is. So, why leave that out of your "I'm trying to sell this logline"? Personally, I think that's the biggest way people fukk up their loglines. They're super precious about their twist. Fukk that... I'ma straight up tell you what it is. Way better chance you read it to see how I did it. Plus, maybe you're like "BOOM! I know how to sell this off the logline alone. Don't even need to read it."

6th Sense: ...And there's a mystery.

-OR-

6th Sense: ...And the guy's dead the whole fukkin time and doesn't realize it.

Which logline would you be like "I CAN FUKKIN SELL THAT!"
              Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 08-31-2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                TRUTH!

If you've never been repped, never worked with anyone, never sold anything, etc. Take anyone who's willing to work with you, at first.

Gotta be honest: My current rep didn't care that I used to be at CAA, sold, that last script was developed with a huge producer. Only cared about THIS script.

You gotta be pretty high up or pretty hot (in this climate) to have choices.
                See I used quotes too sometimes....

Yeah, what I'm trying to say (again) is that even if I knew who the best reps were for me (I got some favorites) I can't make them like my current project. I can target them first, hope they want to read it, but all that knowledge doesn't help if those reps don't want to work with you or even return your emails. So you may no have no choice at all and you get a large, medium, small firm because that's the person that read your work, liked it, and wanted to sign you.

Oddly, both recently times I got repped, I had 2 choices at the same time. Managers A or B... I don't know how it happened BOTH TIMES and now since it did not work out, I regret both decisions. I wish it was no choice. No choice would have bene better. 1 firm. 1 offer to sign us. Let's do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                  Absolutely. Some give only grammar notes but are great salesmen, some develop something with you from the start and ask you to send them incremental progress drafts. Some are better at emotional support. You need to be honest with what you need.

As far as taking what you can get first time around, sure. But leverage that quickly into another relationship that works.

As far having to be high up to have choices, thats not completely true. I have choices. But I'm not high up by any means. It's just that the feature market is so shitty right now. I just had a movie released in May and my rep said "you're only as good as your next script.- No one cares unless you're one of the handful true A List writers or Marvel.

Go into TV is the new war cry.

Comment

Absolutely. Some give only grammar notes but are great salesmen, some develop something with you from the start and ask you to send them incremental progress drafts. Some are better at emotional support. You need to be honest with what you need.

As far as taking what you can get first time around, sure. But leverage that quickly into another relationship that works.

As far having to be high up to have choices, thats not completely true. I have choices. But I'm not high up by any means. It's just that the feature market is so shitty right now. I just had a movie released in May and my rep said "you're only as good as your next script.- No one cares unless you're one of the handful true A List writers or Marvel.

Movie released? Huge. Congrats man (or woman). I hope I saw it!

But I would argue that there is a huge game change when you sell a spec (reps treat you so differently and so does Hollywood) and if you got a movie made (another huge step) and released (huge) that so many different doors open up from you.

All my advice is from the writer that did well, but never sold a script in Hollywood with reps, so there are no easy moves for me.

Comment

First manager -- they had a story person and I got like a 10 pages package of notes that was some of the best feedback I ever got. I did it. It made work better. And they showed it to like 20-40 places and no bites, but at least they tried.

Second mangers -- didn't realize our real manager was the junior/assitant manager who signed us... so learned the fun of having partners have to approve a draft before it goes out. The partners never had any notes for us just thumbs up or down on drafts. And at one point they offered many times to have a bigger client of their's take our concept and pitch it. We asked, what do we get out of that? Co-writers? Story? Nothing was the answer and they seemed mad we didn't' do it. Our junior person left the industry a year later and we got let go by partners -- all his clients did.

Third managers -- We got 3 managers. Names with stuff that sold. Some in LA, some on east coast. And it didn't work out well at all, because only really talked to 1 person. Didn't get much feedback from them either -- it was very weird. It's like they didn't want to do their jobs. 2 managers ended up leaving and they never even told us directly. That's how close we were.

Big Agency -- Got us actual money from a producer who wanted to write a big comedy spec. So that was great. Ironically we had better experience with agents than managers. My co writer asked too many questions about payment and our agent then refused to talk to us again. I think we made up. Either way 6 months or a year later he called my writing partner to say they had to fire the "baby writers". Could be a lie. He never even called me. Isnt' that nice? We actually made money and still got canned. Thanks, Obama. I mean Hollywood.

And I there were other fun stories in there. I'm so uplifting! Options not paid. Agent fired us via email, then died a year after that. Being yelled at by reps on the phone.

If you know me, I'm a nice boring dad guy. I'm not this jerk. But I still got treated very badly and every time I stood up for myself I got yelled at.

So I'm honestly hoping my next rep is a strong woman. Because no joke, men are too emotional and stupid. Just like me.

Comment

Idk... Having a movie MADE is pretty high up. All things considered. I've gotten close (with my own sh!t) but never been produced. You're talking high class problems. But, agreed, it's always "What's next?" for everyone. People forget that about reps.

Hope it did well (rate increase!)

TV seems easier and harder all at the same time. I have no idea what I'm talking about is the point...

Comment

Movie released? Huge. Congrats man (or woman). I hope I saw it!

But I would argue that there is a huge game change when you sell a spec (reps treat you so differently and so does Hollywood) and if you got a movie made (another huge step) and released (huge) that so many different doors open up from you.

All my advice is from the writer that did well, but never sold a script in Hollywood with reps, so there are no easy moves for me.
                          I hear you. And as a sold writer (never produced, close but nope) I don't think that helps me. Actually being produced is a whole other ball game. I'd say the levels from bottom to top are...

1) Brand new writer never been repped
                          2) Repped but never sold
                          3) Repped and sold but never produced
                          4) Sold and Made
                          5) Made and HIT
                          6) Made and HIT several times
                          7) Hits and weekly'z
                          8) Hits and writer/director
                          9) Hits and weekly'z and writer/director
                          10) Chris Nolan

I'm a number 3 outta 10. So I'm pretty low on the totem pole.

Anything I got wrong?

Comment

First manager -- they had a story person and I got like a 10 pages package of notes that was some of the best feedback I ever got. I did it. It made work better. And they showed it to like 20-40 places and no bites, but at least they tried.

Second mangers -- didn't realize our real manager was the junior/assitant manager who signed us... so learned the fun of having partners have to approve a draft before it goes out. The partners never had any notes for us just thumbs up or down on drafts. And at one point they offered many times to have a bigger client of their's take our concept and pitch it. We asked, what do we get out of that? Co-writers? Story? Nothing was the answer and they seemed mad we didn't' do it. Our junior person left the industry a year later and we got let go by partners -- all his clients did.

Third managers -- We got 3 managers. Names with stuff that sold. Some in LA, some on east coast. And it didn't work out well at all, because only really talked to 1 person. Didn't get much feedback from them either -- it was very weird. It's like they didn't want to do their jobs. 2 managers ended up leaving and they never even told us directly. That's how close we were.

Big Agency -- Got us actual money from a producer who wanted to write a big comedy spec. So that was great. Ironically we had better experience with agents than managers. My co writer asked too many questions about payment and our agent then refused to talk to us again. I think we made up. Either way 6 months or a year later he called my writing partner to say they had to fire the "baby writers". Could be a lie. He never even called me. Isnt' that nice? We actually made money and still got canned. Thanks, Obama. I mean Hollywood.

And I there were other fun stories in there. I'm so uplifting! Options not paid. Agent fired us via email, then died a year after that. Being yelled at by reps on the phone.

If you know me, I'm a nice boring dad guy. I'm not this jerk. But I still got treated very badly and every time I stood up for myself I got yelled at.

So I'm honestly hoping my next rep is a strong woman. Because no joke, men are too emotional and stupid. Just like me.

Then send your sh!t to my ex... she's known for being nice, but she's actually cold as ice behind the scenes. That's where that story ends as I'm telling it to a producer next week... LOL. (I bet her moles are telling her every word I say from here on out. HA! FUKK THEM!)

I've never had anyone yell at me, but my last girlfriend heard a call from my agent and was like "Dude... they're a d!ck to you. You get that?" I'm like "shrug" I'm not high up enough for them to be nice to me, that's generally how this works.

I'll say this tho, I had it WAY worse as a composer. I ghost wrote for sh!t that was made, studio films, and never got paid on some (Found some of my old ghost writing contracts the other day: I signed away 100% of my rights in order to get paid and had to sign an NDA. The contract is fukkin absurd. It says that in the contract, literally "100% of my rights to MY OWN FUKKIN music must be waived." Fukkin fake-azz town!). Also found out someone stole my music, didn't bother to tell me, nor pay me. And was fired off my first real movie (of my own) because the director wouldn't talk to me in order to know what the fukk he wanted. I'm fired because you don't know how to do your job? Okay... bruh! Funny thing (kinda) is I found out later that they replaced me with my friend. Ha! "The fukk dude? Now YOU'RE on that movie?" HIM: YUP!

This town, man...

Comment

Lol. That's kind of depressing. I wonder how one should handle being yelled at by a rep (or studio exec, producer, etc.)? I'm not sure. I've heard stories of people blowing jobs in those types of situations. I'm no badass myself but I probably wouldn't be able to stomach another grown man yelling at me (unless I did something catastrophically stupid. Then I'd feel bad enough already).

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                                Lol. That's kind of depressing. I wonder how one should handle being yelled at by a rep (or studio exec, producer, etc.)? I'm not sure. I've heard stories of people blowing jobs in those types of situations. I'm no badass myself but I wouldn't be able to stomach another grown man yelling at me (unless I did something catastrophically stupid. Then I'd feel bad enough already).

My suggestion. YELL BACK!

"Don't you fukkin speak to me like that! Listen bruh, I'm not trying to be a d!ck, but you're crossing a line of decency, let's relax and get back to trying to have this project be GREAT. We both want it to be great, correct?"

But don't listen to me. Ha!

I cussed a certain producer out and told him "Bro, I don't give a fukk who you are, feel me? Go fukk yourself for being an azzhole! I get it, we'll never work together, thing is I don't give a fukk. There's other producers further up the ladder than you, dude."

Can't say what the guy did. That'll be in my show if we get to do it. ;-)

Just... I can handle people voicing opinions and sh!t, but bruh, if you yell at me? Dude, now you just went 'street', so let's go there! Don't put up with that sh!t. That's a lawsuit in any other industry. Which I'll remind these fukkers of if I'm yelled at.

Comment

Working...
                                X