Assignments -- Can NEW writers without a sale really land them?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assignments -- Can NEW writers without a sale really land them?

I know a spec sale changes everything.

My question, is if new writers, without sales, can actually get assignments. I know people have said, they make a living without ever selling a script -- but does that happen today?

I hear some good stories about working with producers -- but that's on spec. I've had those opportunities.

But do writers ever get paid to write scripts without having first sold one?

My manager makes it sound like that's the only way we're getting anything going. Nothing is going to happen without a spec sale.

Re: Assignments -- Can NEW writers without a sale really land them?

One of the Robotard members is close. It's the guy I wrote As*hole Ninja with. He actually got in on two gigs and blew the pitch so I kinda think, yes. Awesome spec script does the job.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
      One of the Robotard members is close. It's the guy I wrote As*hole Ninja with. He actually got in on two gigs and blew the pitch so I kinda think, yes. Awesome spec script does the job.
      How many "tards" are there? I thought there were just two. I haven't been following your saga that much as I've been busy writing/masturbating.

I want to read As&hole Ninja right now.

Comment

I'm working now on one assignment, I'm up for another (both major production companies), and am in discussions with two more well-known companies for other assignment projects. But I haven't sold a spec. A combination of a good sample and a proactive and supportive manager has set these up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
          I'm working now on one assignment, I'm up for another (both major production companies), and am in discussions with two more well-known companies for other assignment projects. But I haven't sold a spec. A combination of a good sample and a proactive and supportive manager has set these up for me.
          How many samples did you provide to a company to read? Did they read one of your screenplays and then ask to read another to make sure exactly what your voice is?

Comment

If by "assignment" you mean paid work that gets you into the WGA, I'll say it's very hard right now but it certainly can be done.

XL did it I'm pretty sure.

I'm getting closer on a few things but I still got a ways to go to land one.

My agent keeps putting me up for them, though, while also advising me to "keep focused on your spec."

A successful agent at a major agency wouldn't be putting a writer up for things if there was absolutely no chance he could land the gig.

There's a chance, man.

Lot of hoops to jump through, though, that's for sure.

Jack, be nimble,
            Jack, be quick,
            Jack, jump over
            The candlestick.

Jack jumped high
            Jack jumped low
            Jack jumped over
            and burned his toe.

All that said, if you have a quality rep putting you up for legit, paid work then you should be of the mindset that you're the one that's gonna beat the odds.

Now put some aloe on that **** and get back to jumpin'!
            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I'm taking about PAID writing assignments -- sorry if that was unclear.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                Wasn't he a Nicholl finalist?

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

I don't think Nicoll matters that much. I bet the below guy did it by having good samples.

It's not uncommon at all.
                  Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    I want to read As&hole Ninja right now.
                    You can download it on the site: http://www.therobotard8000.com/blog/

Just go to the third post titled "foray into television" and click on the As$hole Ninja button.

Hope you like it.

Comment

does responding to a craigslist posting offering free lunch and youtube fame count as "paid?"

MT
                      If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by mtoomey View Post
                        does responding to a craigslist posting offering free lunch and youtube fame count as "paid?"

MT
                        Depends, did you have to order from the value menu?

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                          I don't think Nicoll matters that much. I bet the below guy did it by having good samples.

It's not uncommon at all.
                          I had two scripts: one by a team that I'd done a page-one rewrite on, and another--the one my manager continues to circulate, and a Nicholl quarterfinalist--which had gone wide with other representation five years ago. One of the projects I'm up for is a big-budget adaptation of a graphic novel. And yes, if I get it I'll get paid, of course.

The sample itself is under consideration by one production company, and we're in talks with the people there that if they don't go with the script there's a very good possibility I may be in on another project. Likewise with another prodco. The other project, a script I'm developing based on an idea brought to me by two producers at a well-known company, is very much in play (I had another meeting with the producer yesterday). My manager and I have made a decision regarding the pay issue which, if all goes well, will go much more in our favor if and when the script is sold to a studio.

And please, people, don't start piling up on me all over again about not writing for money. I've been a novelist writing on spec for thirty years, and this is nothing new to me, nor does it hamper my ability to do the job. I know exactly what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, and what the odds are once I'm done.

Comment

No piling on. Good luck, man

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                              Yep. The Nicholl win certainly won't have hurt but I doubt it helped all that much either. A combination of a sample they really responded to and having an Oscar-winning writer pushing me to the studio were undoubtedly the key factors.

Great reps help the process an awful lot too, and as Joe said, they shouldn't be (and most likely wouldn't be) putting you up for jobs you stand no chance of landing. You just gotta keep banging down that door. It doesn't get any easier once you get inside, just more doors to try, that's all.
                              twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Working...
                              X