No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shooting a person

Originally posted by mswriterj View Post
    Wow. That's crazy that they went straight through! I stand corrected. I'll amend my post to say, "In theory..."
    Yeah, shocked the hell out of me too. I kinda bought into the whole hollow-point .40/.45 will stop a person and won't go right through. Maybe that's true in certain cases but it wasn't in this last situation I saw. I don't have any studies or statistics to rely on but seeing this guy's case definitely made me rethink the whole 9 vs .40/.45 and FMJ vs hollow point debate, at least to the extent it isn't as absolute as people have told me.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
      Are you a trauma surgeon in a high crime city? What brings you in contact with so many gunshot victims?
      Prosecutor who handles (among other things) homicides and various other shooting cases. One of the "perks" of being the prosecutor is that in addition to seeing the crime scene and victims I get to talk to forensic investigators, gun experts, trauma surgeons, ER doctors, and the coroner about what I see and listen to their incredible expertise and learn stuff that is way beyond what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
        What does David Steinberg say?

HH
        He says you're stalking me.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jeep View Post
          I'm on my 6th combat deployment. My experiences are my own and I've SEEN people get shot and immediately fall down - all the time. I've SEEN people even in body armor collapse from impact. Rarely do I see anyone keep running.

I'm not here to get into a pissing contest. You have your experiences as a lawyer and I have mine from fighting wars professionally. Our views and experiences are going to vary based on conditions.
          I don't disagree. My experiences are (generally) handguns. I'm guessing yours are typically assault weapons. No question that those are going to effect the results. I'm not trying to make broad sweeping generalizations about all situations but more just commenting that absolutism is typically not correct. I'm sure you've seen, as I have, people get shot once and die and others get shot 5 times and recover completely. There are a lot of factors as to what happens when someone gets shot.

Comment

Originally posted by nojustice View Post

(nice to see you again sbbn)
            Thanks Sometimes I get busy with work and don't get much chance to play online. Last couple months have been prepping for a homicide trial and now that the trial is over it's back to reading and playing!

Comment

According to my old west research, most people who were gunshot in a non-vital organ usually lived for hours or even days, in severe pain. There were no trauma centers back then. If the injury didn't kill the victim outright the ensuing infection often did. The movies seldom depict this.

I have always marveled at how huge gunfights between dozens of men could be staged, with each victim of a gunshot dying immediately, and later no one ever goes out to the scene to retrieve any of the bodies.

I was amused by a Gary Cooper movie where a stage coach is attacked. The stage makes it into town and the driver tells the sheriff that the guard was killed a few miles out, and his body left in the road where it fell. "Did the robbers get the gold?" the sheriff asks. Never another mention of the poor dead guy.
              We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Working...
              X