View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #25
dirtbottle

Default Re: Cold Calling Production Companies--In Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesprods View Post
Trying to get an exec's cell phone number is crazy behavior and is borderline stalking. There are so many legitimate channels to have your script read, do not bother people on their cell phones. What's next? Show up at their house?

IMO, querying hollywood production companies is a waste of time. There are so few examples of that ever leading to a legitimate sale out of the hundreds of thousands written annually to production companies. Compare that number with how many more sales have resulted from a writer sending a query to a manager who took their script out and sold it. I guarantee the numbers aren't even close. And the truth a lot of people probably don't want to admit is, if you can't get an agent or manager - your work probably isn't ready to be read by production companies anyway.
No offense but you're wrong. Flat out 100% incorrect in every way and trying to make people believe this is just giving them a blueprint to fail.

Seriously not to be a jerk but you're absolutely wrong. I've optioned 2 things from cold calls. Gotten read all over town by cold queries. Got my manager from cold queries. Called people on their cellphones whenever I could and GOTTEN READS FROM IT. Obviously you don't show up at their houses but their phone? Are you kidding me?

As for your contention you have to have a manager or Agent to sell stuff I advise you to look at Martell. He's never had either I believe and has like 18 films PRODUCED or something ridiculous like that.

If you wait for someone to magically pluck your name from the ether and contact you you'll never ever have your material read anywhere. Sorry.

This business is about hustle as well as writing.

Last edited by dirtbottle : 07-18-2010 at 10:23 AM.
dirtbottle is offline   Reply With Quote