View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #5
PhilaeMb
New User

Default Re: Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturtle View Post
It's in my Netflix queue.

I saw the feature for the first time a few weeks ago - one of those cult films that so many folks I know seem to love. And I really, really wanted to like it, but to be honest I found it a little... meh.

How is the series different from the feature - similar tone? Funnier? More absurd?
Similar tone definitely. IMHO, funnier, hit the right marks more consistently, just as absurd.

Others are saying it was hit and miss. I think it definitely hit more in the first 3-4 episodes, then got bogged down by the abundant storylines (necessarily, as that's sort of expected with Wet Hot - but the result being less free association).

Agreed, though, that thank god for platforms like Netflix for willing to produce original content.

Showalter was a highlight for me. Expert at capturing that essence of older camp/campy movies and shows and satirizing it. I could be partial because I love Sleepaway Camp and the like. At least we know Wet Hot is funny on purpose.

In terms of what Wet Hot is going for, I think it was spot on. But the humor's not for everyone.
PhilaeMb is offline   Reply With Quote