Which script reader is best for your buck?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which script reader is best for your buck?

Glad this thread exist. I know writers, but not screenwriters, so I don't have anyone to put eyes to my script.

Comment

I know writers, but not screenwriters, so I don't have anyone to put eyes to my script.
      Before you spend money, you might consider posting five pages on this board and getting feedback. And if you ask for volunteers to read your whole script, you may receive some offers.

Also, if you have friends who are writers, they can still read a screenplay. The leap is not very great.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

The consultant I found to be the most helpful so far has been Pilar Alessandra. What I like about her is that she's more of a teacher than a coverage person (she was a teacher at the UCLA Writers' Program). A lot of consultants might be able to point out problems with your script, but can't really show you how to fix them---you only end up feeling more frustrated rather than inspired to go write that new draft. I like using her as a sounding board because she will actually try to brainstorm with me what direction to go with my script.

Comment

Have to throw another +1 Drew's way.

Have used him a couple of times now, both times with tight deadlines looming. Not only were his notes on point and allowed us to focus on the most important sections for quick rewriting, but he's incredibly responsive, genuinely encouraging, and easy to work with.

Will probably use him for every script from this point on.

Comment

Screenplay Mechanic is very good, big props to him. And there's a guy on Zoetrope who does notes privately who has a good deal for $80 for ten pages of notes, who is very hands on and follows up. That's my favorite. I don't know if I should put his email out, but hit me up with a private message.

I've never tried ScriptGal or Drew.

Comment

Originally posted by Zed's_Dead View Post
              Screenplay Mechanic is very good, big props to him. And there's a guy on Zoetrope who does notes privately who has a good deal for $80 for ten pages of notes, who is very hands on and follows up. That's my favorite. I don't know if I should put his email out, but hit me up with a private message.

I've never tried ScriptGal or Drew.
              Are you sure you've never used Drew...The Screenplay Mechanic?

Comment

Duh, my bad, thought they were talking about Titan.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                  The consultant I found to be the most helpful so far has been Pilar Alessandra. What I like about her is that she's more of a teacher than a coverage person (she was a teacher at the UCLA Writers' Program). A lot of consultants might be able to point out problems with your script, but can't really show you how to fix them---you only end up feeling more frustrated rather than inspired to go write that new draft. I like using her as a sounding board because she will actually try to brainstorm with me what direction to go with my script.
                  Okay, I wasn't going to post a response here, but decided against it. I am going to give insight to my personal experience and only that. The reason why is, that I think everyone needs to understand that paid notes and consultants might not be for everyone.

When I was just starting out, I went to the CS expo in California. I didn't know ****, and I'm not trying to say that I know **** now, but someone that I had met (never found out who) and talked to about my first screenplay (yes, I actually had business cards with the logline created-- geek central LOL). For some reason, that I'll never understand, this person "paid" for a free consultation from Pilar.

I remember thinking it was some kind of joke. I may have been a bit obnoxious, so she told me it was real and that I could check out her credentials on the internet, which I did. Very impressive. I was allowed a free consult on a screenplay of my choice. I only had one, so the choice was an easy one.

And she was wonderful. Really insightful and helped me a great deal. She has some pretty prestigious clients. She's a very bright woman, and I've taken a one day class of hers in NYC. She has a lot to contribute. I want to say that up front, because my next script consult was really unexpected.

First, there's a waiting list, then it was a couple hundred dollars as I recall. The wait itself seemed forever. They recommend (at that time) that you book your time with her before you start to write so that you can have it finished by the time your appointment is available. That's how long the wait was.

And again. Let me be clear... she's very knowledgable and has great ideas and can help you. But. I sent her my spec at the time, after waiting for what seemed like eternity and she basically said it was ready to send out. As I recall, she only had these little grammatical and typographic errors. I mean, it was supposed to be a 90 minute consult and she asked if she could include me an a special list that she would send out to her contacts who wanted this type of material. Of course, I gave her permission.

It was a "taken with a female lead," type story (very popular at the time)... do you think I ever heard one word from her again? No. I didn't. And that's okay, because I already knew it wasn't ready.

Keep in mind this was a while ago.

I sent it instead to another writer friend of mine that I respect a great deal, and she said it was good, but you have to kill a specific subplot, and after cutting 15 pages in one night I sent it to two contests. It placed as in quarters for one and semis for another.

By now you're wondering what's my point, right?

Well, here it is... the notes you receive are only as good as the person's skills and strengths. Meaning if they aren't strong with conflict, their notes won't help you there. If they're not strong with structure, their notes wont't have the value of an area where they excel.

That doesn't mean to say that they aren't worth the price or that you'll be disappointed. It's only to caution you when you get notes that you really understand that you are paying for an opinon of your writing and your story.

I've paid for notes from Carson Reeves, I know he's very controversial, and this was well before he charged the rates he does now, but his notes were the ones that pushed me to become the writer I am today. I mean, he said really nice things about my style, but he said I wasn't exploiting the idea to its fullest potential-- and he was right.

Before I make my next comment, I want to say that I have not paid for notes from any of the writers who offer notes on this board. I am not trying to criticize anyone, in any way-- only offering what I've learned and what my experiences are...

I wouldn't pay for notes again, unless it was maybe from The Industry Insider group of writers, because one was a mentor to Tyler Mareca who won that contest and the Trackingb contest and went on to sell that spec titled The Disciple Program for half a million-- I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

Not only that, but when I placed in the top 15 of one of their contests, the notes were really amazing-- I have a lot of respect for them.

The other option is to work with other writers. I've met some really good writers right here on this site. Writers in which we swap material.

And those notes are the best I've ever received. When you find someone who understands that notes should be about what can improve your story and they do it based on YOUR intentions for the story and NOT what they would write, there is no better form of notes-- that's not to say that you can't pay for notes and receive quality notes, but you can receive quality notes from other writers who are willing to swap.

Sorry that went on for so long-- kind of covered a few things I've been wanting to share with anyone whom it might help.

And I honestly don't know if I'm using "who" or "whom" correctly as it's the grammatical rule I can never really figure out-- Comicbent, if you're out there, I'd love a lesson on the "who/whom" and when to use it rule.
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                  X