How to approach an A-list director in my family?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to approach an A-list director in my family?

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
    Yes. The family connection will help you make contact, but after that the only thing that matters is how good the script is and if he's and A-list director he'll be looking at A-grade writing. So is your script in the top 0.1 percent of scripts that get read by agencies and execs?

It's only a hunch but my guess is you're writing isn't at the level needed to get his attention and it might be better to have some credentials before tapping into his status. I'm not trying to be negative here, just realistic, but I'd say you're at the level where you'll just be the nuisance relative. I'd wait and look for opportunities more suited to where your writing skills are.
    You talk like there are some great opportunities for mediocre writing.

Not saying the OP's writing is mediocre.

Maybe you mean student films. Or, maybe you mean MoneyBall 2--like the original, a chance to catch up on your sleep in a comfortable chair, still waiting for something, anything, to happen.

Comment

If his wife and your wife are at all close, then I'd ask your wife for help.

The next time the three of you are hanging out, ask your wife to subtly steer the conversation to the subject of your screenplay. Not as a conversation opener, but if she's got any kind of social skill, she'll be able to meander around to it.

Once the subject is broached, feign mild irritation that JUST skirts the edge of social discomfort. Roll your eyes, even. Say: "Honey? Please don't. It's not that big a deal. I'm sure he has two-bit hacks trying to push stuff on him constantly. I don't wanna be one more problem, that's presumptuous."

Your wife: "No, Kurt. I'm sorry, but you've worked hard on that, and it's good. You never know, maybe he'd be happy to help? It couldn't hurt to just ask. He might be willing to at least give you some advice."

Or, some variation on the overall theme. Given that scenario, one of two things will probably happen:

Either the director's wife will say, "Well, he's got a lot coming up, and there are usually quite a few legal and procedural hoops to jump through, anyway. So, I can certainly ask him, but, umm..."

This is obviously the polite, excuse-shower brush-off. She knows him best, and she knows that he wouldn't welcome being approached that way, so she'll communicate that as cordially as possible. At which point, you're more or less socially-obligated to be completely sympathetic. "See? Totally. No...If I ever manage to do anything with this, I really wanna be the guy who pays his dues on it. It's no big deal, really."

Or.

His wife will say, "That's no problem. He reads a lot of scripts from total strangers...I'm sure he'd be happy to take a look at YOURS. I'll ask him when I get home."

At that point, you're again almost socially-obligated to wave it off. "Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. I really don't have any right to ask him for any favors. I'm sure he has enough to do." According to most of the engagement guidelines of the delicate social ritual, his wife will pretty much then reliably say, "Honestly...Don't worry about it. I'll talk to him for you."

Obviously, that's a win-win. The goal is for both you and your wife to demonstrate that you're willing to be considerate no matter what. You're humble, self-deprecating, and don't want to presume upon a tenuous relationship. Your wife is the supportive spouse who loves and believes in you, and isn't going to let you sell yourself short if she can help it. And while it may sound a little...calculated? It's hardly dishonest, unethical or manipulative...since from what I can tell, that's who you are anyway. In the face of people demonstrating such admirable traits of human nature, that SAME human nature almost mandates a reciprocal action on the director's wife's part as a reinforcement of thoughtful behavior.

Best part is, no matter which way it goes, you both still look awesome. You've risked nothing, and you've lost nothing. Even in the WORST-case scenario, you're still right where you were 10 minutes before. And in the BEST-case scenario? Bam. An A-lister is soliciting your material.

Zero risk, high potential return.

Go for it.

Comment

if it were me, i wouldn't even bring it up. i would just focus on my own writing, to the point that (if i have the talent, and put in the work) the writing speaks for itself. if he is genuinely an A-List director, having an unrepped, unproven relative approach him for a courtesy read seems like Bono's wife's brother asking him if he can sit in with U2 after taking some guitar lessons. i would rather get to the point of either having a Nicholl-level contest success and/or being repped by a legitimate L.A. manager or agent and be able to approach him on a more-or-less equal level

Comment

How to approach an A-list director in my family?
          A loaded weapon will always get you in the door.

See Swimming with Sharks for additional tips.
          Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            if it were me, i wouldn't even bring it up. i would just focus on my own writing, to the point that (if i have the talent, and put in the work) the writing speaks for itself. if he is genuinely an A-List director, having an unrepped, unproven relative approach him for a courtesy read seems like Bono's wife's brother asking him if he can sit in with U2 after taking some guitar lessons. i would rather get to the point of either having a Nicholl-level contest success and/or being repped by a legitimate L.A. manager or agent and be able to approach him on a more-or-less equal level
            If he had all those things, he wouldn't need to be related.

I once had a situation where one of my daughter's friends father was an A list show runner. I knew him and met him a few times from that connection. I asked him to help me on something and he was more than happy to read over some stuff and give me help. And, we're still friends. And, he'd still read over something if I asked.

Approached respectfully, and if there is some legitimate connection, these people are not asses. They are not like some piece of glass about to break.

And, if they are asses, it likely wouldn't matter how good your stuff was, they wouldn't read it in the first place to even find out if it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejc View Post
              You talk like there are some great opportunities for mediocre writing.
              I certainly didn't expect anyone to infer that, but there's the sort of writing that attracts A-list talent, and there's writing that finds other niches in the market. The difference between the two might not be huge, but it's big enough. But I also realize many other factors come into play. A script that works wonderfully with a particular cast, director and treatment can be a flop in other hands. There's a lot of chemistry and fortune involved.
              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
                I certainly didn't expect anyone to infer that, but there's the sort of writing that attracts A-list talent, and there's writing that finds other niches in the market. The difference between the two might not be huge, but it's big enough. But I also realize many other factors come into play. A script that works wonderfully with a particular cast, director and treatment can be a flop in other hands. There's a lot of chemistry and fortune involved.
                Yes, I get your point.

Comment

Just an idea. You could ask him if he would let you read any of the scripts he considers good, because you're studying screenwriting. Very simple request. Doesn't push your stuff on him, simply alerts him that you're in the game. Also broaches the subject of his taste and what he finds to be good writing.
                  Hell of a Deal -- Political Film Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
                    Have someone with a wide knowledge base and shrewd insight read it, someone like ScriptGal, and then explicitly ask her if this script is good enough to show to an A-list director. (She'd probably have some excellent notes on how to make it better, so what you'd really be asking is will it be good enough after I fix some of the problems and address some of your notes.)
                    smart.

tell her/or scriptmechanic to be brutally honest.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejc View Post
                      If he had all those things, he wouldn't need to be related.

I once had a situation where one of my daughter's friends father was an A list show runner. I knew him and met him a few times from that connection. I asked him to help me on something and he was more than happy to read over some stuff and give me help. And, we're still friends. And, he'd still read over something if I asked.

Approached respectfully, and if there is some legitimate connection, these people are not asses. They are not like some piece of glass about to break.

And, if they are asses, it likely wouldn't matter how good your stuff was, they wouldn't read it in the first place to even find out if it was good.
                      Flip side, a vast majority of the A-Listers I know HATE having to read people's sh!t. They're nice about it but they fvcking hate it. And the people who give them the scripts almost always make them regret it with too much interaction post contact.

This doesn't mean you don't go for it. I am a big believer in 'do what you gotta do' to survive, just saying there is a 9-10 chance that the OP is going to make this director groan when/if he asks.

That's life.

Comment

I think you guys or over thinking this. Two years ago -- with no rep I had a friend of mine have his A-list brother who is a director read my script. He read it and requested a meeting with me and my writing partner. He liked the writing, didn't want to do the project but talked to us about some of his other projects he was interested in doing. We still have a great relationship with him.

These people are all human. My ex-agent, had two huge A-list writers read a script of mine, they wanted to meet us, and we still talk to this day. I doubt the director will have you barred from family reunions if he doesn't like the script. It may just not be his cup of tea, he even may be willing to help you or point you in the right direction.

Contrary to belief, lots of people in this industry like to help people -- they just don't like to have to bend over backwards to do so, especially if it doesn't benefit them. I'm no one and I like to help people. Look how much Jeff Lowell, Derek Haas, Battledolphin, Craig Mazin, Todd Karate, MichaelB, Sbscript, ScriptGal, and Brian Koppleman help complete strangers on here. People relate with the struggle, and no one got anywhere by themselves, so most want to help people reach their dreams.

I would have someone in the industry read your script, see what they think first, then if it's good enough, I would approach the director through his wife.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                          Flip side, a vast majority of the A-Listers I know HATE having to read people's sh!t. They're nice about it but they fvcking hate it. And the people who give them the scripts almost always make them regret it with too much interaction post contact.

This doesn't mean you don't go for it. I am a big believer in 'do what you gotta do' to survive, just saying there is a 9-10 chance that the OP is going to make this director groan when/if he asks.

That's life.
                          I agree if it's someone with no real connection, or a tenuous connection or a distant one.

My son is partners with a person who is immediate family of 2 True A list directors. He's considered part of the family almost. But, I would never, ever ask him to take a script of mine to either. There's no real connection.

My point to the OP was; make sure it's good, but, due to the connection, don't
                          worry so much about asking--in a respectful way.

Comment

Agree. Wasn't even really meaning to contradict you directly. Was kinda just making a general point that probably served no purpose on this thread. Plus a friend of ours was just wondering how to get out of reading someone's script.

Again, I think the smart thing is whoever posted that the OP get a round of notes from Mechanic/Scriptgirl first. No harm in that.

Comment

Working...
                            X