No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Max Landis article on Deadline

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
    It's interesting you hold us to the standard of quantifiable fact but not yourself. You credit nepotism for someone's success without any proof, but if we suggest maybe there's more to it, we need to prove it with some notarized certificate from the Billy Wilder Institute of Writerly Merit? Makes sense. If you insist on quantifiable fact, go prove with quantifiable fact that Max's dad made Chronicle a hit and got his subsequent scripts sold, and maybe we can continue this asinine discussion. Until then, it's just your opinion, no better or worse than ours.
    No you assumed I credit nepotism for Max's success. If you'll go back and look, my argument was that the only thing in that 1-6 listing that was of factual nature was #6 that Max is John Landis' son. Everything else is debatable I said.

It is my opinion that John played a significant role in Max's success based on the way Hollywood has operated for decades. But I never claimed it was fact. Go back and re-read.

But you guys were touting the 1-5 of that list as fact, which was incorrect.

My initial argument was that John Landis is not irrelevant in Hollywood, which you guys touting as fact. People still know who he is, he's still a factor.

Comment

And where's your hidden camera footage showing John Landis making it all happen for him? Come back with that footage, please. I mean, if we have to provide it, you should too. It's only fair.
      I never said John Landis made it all happen for him. I never claimed John helping his son as fact, just highly likely based on real history of Hollywood. And even if John did help him, I never said Max was devoid of talent and ability himself. Go back and re-read. Please quote me where I said it was a fact.

The problem was you guys bending the only fact (John as Max's dad) as you remove John from equation by claiming his irrelevance in order to make your hero (Max) look more awesome. Fans do this sort of thing while worshipping their heroes all the time.

Comment

There he goes with the "hero" bullsh*t again. We're done here.
        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

I had a smaller victory this past year being on the Black List. Suddenly in meetings, people weren't just saying "What new ideas do you have?", they were saying "Any hidden gems collecting dust in your drawer?"

I've got a movie shooting in 2 weeks from an 8 year-old script that was collecting dust. It wasn't that my reps pushed it - Blumhouse read something of mine, liked the writing and asked what else I had stashed away. Turns out I had something they liked. Not a slam-dunk, brilliantly written, studio spec sale type script hot off the presses, a tiny little thriller that nobody else wanted. It happens.
          I didn't want this to get lost in the thread. I do find the way things can turn to a writer's benefit -- their like of your writing leading to a different, EIGHT year old script getting made -- thrilling. This is a great thing. Congrats.

Comment

There he goes with the "hero" bullsh*t again. We're done here.

I would be done too if I were you because you were incorrect in saying I called my opinion fact like some others around here do quite regularly. and it would be a bitch to admit you made a mistake. I'm glad we're done.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
              I didn't want this to get lost in the thread. I do find the way things can turn to a writer's benefit -- their like of your writing leading to a different, EIGHT year old script getting made -- thrilling. This is a great thing. Congrats.
              Thanks! I'm really psyched.
              Last edited by ProfessorChomp; 05-28-2016, 04:42 PM.
              https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
              http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

It's not interesting to discuss Max Landis success in relation to his name opening doors. It really isn't relevant anymore. He has made his name known, we get it, it has advantages. Deal with it.

I think he is a breath of fresh air. But I also think he is a very mediocre writer and a master snake oil salesman. His pitches kind of sound great, but they are empty. Just like his scripts. It's not about anything, it's just a "what if..." or just building to somehing that is never paid off. There's no deeper meaning there or real payoff because there's no thought out structure. He really needs to spend more time on how to write in relation to having something to say. I liken him to people like Blake Snyder and Damon Lindelof.

His passion, extroversion and intensity certainly helps to sell his stuff, together with his ability to pitch. Chronicle helps alot too. I liked the psychological analysis some poster talked about with regards to the randomised success bait. Spot on! He might become a good producer. But I think he could still be able to write a hit if he learns some discipline, like some marvel stuff.
                Last edited by Bananos; 05-30-2016, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Anyway you turn it, like his content/ don't like his content - good personality/ bad - how got there, etc., none of that really matters. It just doesn't.

It's a victory anytime a writer advocates listening to writers more. Every time there is a big sale reported in the trades, it tends to breed more big sales and the competition in the market place among studios.

Look at what Netflix committed to doing his movie! I find it all really exciting, that in some strange way, here is a highly successful tv entity now looking to get in the feature game in a big way. It's all kind of awesome.

I think it's inspiring to think we could pop into this forum at any time and read about the same success for someone posting here. I'm sure some people are rolling their eyes at this post, but some of you aren't. Some of you are still holding onto that sense of wonder and excitement. You know you're good. You attack it every time you sit down at the computer and say fvck the odds. I just love that. Because you know why... fvck the odds.

Did his dad's name help him? Do you like him, his work? Does he deserve whatever? Why are we arguing about something so subjective? That doesn't matter in terms of *your* success. What matters is that there are two types of people in the world. There are people who say "give me wood and I'll build you a fire." And there are people who go out and get the wood themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                    The problem was you guys bending the only fact (John as Max's dad) as you remove John from equation by claiming his irrelevance in order to make your hero (Max) look more awesome. Fans do this sort of thing while worshipping their heroes all the time.
                    Just to be 100% clear, I am not a Max Landis fan. To my knowledge, I have never seen nor read anything that he has written other than Chronicle.

The very idea that you are calling people out on the factual accuracy of their opinions while making wildly untrue and broad generalizations yourself is several shades of absurd.

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                    None of that tells you HOW Max Landis does what he does. You can't know a person by simply reading about them online. You claimed to have factual knowledge of how Max conducts himself in meetings. Is there a video feed online showing Max in meetings or are you guessing based on the persona he uses on his YouTube channel?
                    There is enough collective video evidence out there of Max, whether it's his own YouTube clips or footage shot by others of him at conferences, panels, interviews, etc. to paint a fairly consistent picture of his general temperament regarding writing and the film business in general that they could be used by an intelligent, thoughtful adult to infer from their context that the Max Landis character he presents to the world most all of the time is the same Max Landis that would show up in a pitch meeting, although with a higher reliance on inside baseball lingo, I would suppose.

Using your standards presented in this thread, I'm sure Max could not even 'prove' to you that he knew himself, so what's the point of debating anything at all?

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Comment

Imagine what could be accomplished if we could harness and redirect all the collective energy that aspiring writers spend analyzing Max Landis.

It could create a cinematic universe larger than Marvel.

Comment

Landis is basically a male Diablo Cody -- good looking, witty, uber-confident, great on camera. He's also a good writer. But the fame can only take you so far. Cody was a super-hot former stripper, but that alone didn't land her any huge paychecks after Juno.

Why is Landis getting the huge paycheck? Because he's shown he can write big-budget blockbusters, and that's where the money is.
                        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                          Landis is basically a male Diablo Cody -- good looking, witty, uber-confident, great on camera. He's also a good writer. But the fame can only take you so far. Cody was a super-hot former stripper, but that alone didn't land her any huge paychecks after Juno.

Why is Landis getting the huge paycheck? Because he's shown he can write big-budget blockbusters, and that's where the money is.
                          The jury's still out on that.
                          "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

I'll just point out again that Landis was approached to write CHRONICLE by the director (Trank) who was then able to get it greenlit. Without that connection, there's no CHRONICLE. Fairly safe to say how he had that connection in the first place.

Obviously, he then still had to write CHRONICLE in a way that lead to it being a roaring success.

But, I imagine most people looking to break in would increase their chances of success pretty drastically if a director capable of getting a movie made approached them with an idea and attached themselves to the project.

Comment

From his youtube channel

"chase what thrills you - don't ride the dragon"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ-dnuLo0Z0
                              "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Max talks about his pitch for Ghostbusters and losing out on writing it.

I feel like Max is pretty harmless; I don't get the sense that he speaks out of spite or revenge. However, at some point he may be in a position to work with some of those cast members or execs -- why publicly criticize their movie and give them an obstacle in hiring him? He's got all these reps and not one of them can tell him to shut up?

He gets in his own way, this guy.

http://theplaylist.net/max-landis-sh...ovie-20160714/

Comment

Working...
                                X