Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specs

I see this info all the time and haven't been able to figure out what all this stuff means. Can anyone simplify it ? Thanks

Josh Goldenberg and Sean Perrone of Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment are out with a killer spec today that’s heating up the market as it lands on top of every weekend read in town. Story details of the much buzzed-about thriller BED REST written by Lori Evans Taylor are being tightly kept under wraps, but we’re hearing it’s being pitched as a smart character-driven contained thriller.

As of today, territories are coming off the shelf fast and furious, and my sources now confirm that James Wan‘s shingle Atomic Monster is into New Line, Adam Goodman is into Paramount Pictures and De Line Pictures is into both CBS Films and Warner Brothers, while Sunswept Entertainment is into Fox 2000, Lionsgate and MGM.

Spec is now into:
    Adam Goodman into Paramount
    Atomic Monster into New Line
    De Line into CBS Films
    De Line into Warner Bros.
    Sunswept Entertainment into Fox 2000
    Sunswept Entertainment into Lionsgate
    Sunswept Entertainment into MGM

Re: Specs

This is my understanding: Producers often have deals to work with certain studios. The studios are the territories. When a spec goes out wide, the agent/manager sends it to lots of producers, then when they get positive responses ("we want to take it in to the studio we have a deal with"), the agent/manager get to choose which producers they want to take it to each territory. So, in this scenario, Adam Goodman is taking it to paramount, etc. As for the ones that are taking it to multiple territories, I assume they don't have an exclusive deal, but the agent liked them for the project.
    Once it's gone out to the territories the offers come in. In my experience this can all happen extremely fast, within a week, although I have heard it can sometimes take longer. I hope that helps!
    -Mc

Comment

means the script is generating so much heat that it's on fire, pre-selling to foreign markets (territories) before it's even been made -- which helps the overall budget.

is my guess.

Comment

A lot of companies have first look deals with studios or variations of different deals (which is why some of them are located on the lot of that actual studio).

But you don't want to send a script to 4 companies who all have deals with the same studio because they will all be fighting to be the one to take it, so you try to pick one producer/company who is a good fit and hope they want to take their studio/buyer as a territory.

A lot of companies don't have deals and that's why you see them taking multiple territories.

They go to the studio and say, "Hey we really like this and want to make it, buy it for us."

But just because they have a good relationship with that producer doesn't mean they buy everything they take them.
        Last edited by ducky1288; 09-13-2015, 02:05 PM.
        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

i've never heard studios referred to as territories, so i guess i've learned something new today. go me.

Comment

That's my wife's spec we're talking about. It's a great script, a really exciting sale, and it's done wonders for her career in the two months since it happened, including new agents. She's worked her ass off trying to get noticed for years - so glad it's happening!
            https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
              That's my wife's spec we're talking about. It's a great script, a really exciting sale, and it's done wonders for her career in the two months since it happened, including new agents. She's worked her ass off trying to get noticed for years - so glad it's happening!
              That's awesome man! Tell her congrats for me. I'm managed at the same place and have a spec almost ready to go out, so it was super encouraging to see this sale happen.
              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

That's great. Well deserved by her. It really is an awesome script.

Comment

Wow, congratulations to you both!
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Time to give her a nice candle-lit bubble-bath and a foot massage. Although as a writer, massaging of the hands would be more fitting. 😝
                    Fiction writers are demigods among men...

Comment

I know you or your wife can't go into great detail but I think a lot of people here would like to hear about the journey and subsequent success of this script. Whatever you or your wife are willing to share would be invaluable. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CrissCross View Post
                        I know you or your wife can't go into great detail but I think a lot of people here would like to hear about the journey and subsequent success of this script. Whatever you or your wife are willing to share would be invaluable. Thanks
                        She just did an interview with the Black List site about it, and the first two parts of the interview are up (the rest show up on subsequent days).

Part 1 - http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...ns-taylor.html

Part 2 - http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...ns-taylor.html
                        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Yep a hardy congratulations to her! And nothing but "I hate you"s to you because I saw her pic and was already plotting how I was going to ask her out! Lol. Kidding, congrats!

Comment

Working...
                          X