No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Ford Resurrect Jack Ryan Too?

http://themovingpicture.net/can-ford...-jack-ryan-too

Now that Harrison Ford is back on the screen as Indiana Jones it's time to start wondering if there are any other past roles the actor might return to. The folks over at Cinema Blend recently got their hands on a scoop that Ford is being sought after to return to the screen as Jack Ryan.

Now we've gotten something in the way of independent confirmation on this rumor, from an entirely different, well-placed source. It seems there is indeed talk of getting Harrison back as Ryan, but there's opposition as well. Our source tells us, "Mace Neufeld, who produces the series, is the one gunning for Harrison to return to the role but Paramount aren't interested - they still think a younger face is the way to go. Mace pesters them every few months about giving the role back to Ford - Lorenzo is also open to the idea - but the studio don't want it.-

What do you think? Would you rather see Ford return to the series or have a younger face step in? Ryan Gosling has been rumored to fill the Ryan shoes for a while now.

Re: Can Ford Resurrect Jack Ryan Too?

I just don't think ANY Jack Ryan films need to be made anymore. Regardless of who might be the titular character.

Why?

Because like so many of the projects Hollywood has a nostalgic hard on for...

They don't and won't translate that well in 2009 in my humble opinion.

The Jack Ryan stories are jingoistic, hardcore Right-Wing, Tom Clancy stories that arose from the Cold War '80s, and post-Cold War '90s. I know the movies are very lose adaptations, but they wear their politics on their sleeves in every single movie; America is good, everybody else is bad. Specifically minorities like Chinese, Koreans, South Americans and even Native Americans (Sum of All Fears) are the main bad guys in TC stories.

Bond is much more neutral in its treatment of bad guys in a post-9/11 world (IMO) because the bad guys are more or less exaggerated versions of guys you want to hate: The cocky CEO with a huge house, sixty cars and fifty women at his beckon call. These movies play on the establishment vs. the common man rather than nation vs. nation, or race.
    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

I agree.

They need to let this franchise die a semi-respectable death.

Without Remorse is still a go though, isn't it? It's not Ryan, but I think it's the last Clancy novel they should make.

Comment

I'd like to see some form of Without Remorse greenlit. It does not remotely need to involve the Jack Ryan character.

I didn't realize the previous Ryan films were so right-wing? I guess all those old war movies where the Americans prevail are right-wing too? Probably all those westerns where Indians and Mexicans are killed too. My collection is going to be seriously thinned when these films are banned under the liberal pc can't-we-all-get-along regime.

I could see Debt of Honor re-worked with China as the new villain instead of Japan. If China bans the film, maybe Hong Kong won't turn out so many bootleg copies.

R.O.T.

Comment

Sure he could resurrect Jack. Maybe John Book from Witness as well. The Fugitive could use a sequel. Hell, go for broke and bring back Han Solo.. It'll be like one big Harrison Ford going away party!!!
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
            Sure he could resurrect Jack. Maybe John Book from Witness as well. The Fugitive could use a sequel. Hell, go for broke and bring back Han Solo.. It'll be like one big Harrison Ford going away party!!!
            Where's he going?

Comment

One book from Clancy i would love to read is "Without remorse" John Kelly/Mr. Clark on fights against drugdealers Navy Seals wy. I remember reading that book many years ago, and couldn't let it off my hands before end...
              Get ready

Comment

Sam Rami is bringing back Jack Ryan, I thought?

Personally, I have no problem with bringing back Jack Ryan. I am a big fan of espionage films and it would be easy enough to place Jack Ryan in a modern environment and have the stories reflect the current climate.

The trick is not to make Ryan such an insufferable one-dimensional goody-two-shoes. The original films weren't that right-wing though, there's even corruption in the White House in Clear and Present.

I think, however, they should find a new Ryan. As much as I like Harrison Ford, it would be like watching Sean Connery trying to recapture the past in Never Say Never Again...

@MacBullitt

Comment

Tom Clancey and hollywood don't get along at all. He has hated every film that was made from one of his books.
                  "The screenplay is first and foremost a selling tool." - Katzenberg

Comment

Originally posted by grapeape View Post
                    Tom Clancey and hollywood don't get along at all. He has hated every film that was made from one of his books.
                    Hate might be a strong word... he seems to love the money side of the relationship.
                    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I listened to the commentary on the Sum Of All Fears DVD with Clancy and the director.

Clancy ripped on everything that they did in the film.

Comment

Clancy is a pompous ass. He hates Hollywood because most of it is the dreaded "L" word: Liberal leaning.

His books are jingoistic and bloated, he left his wife for another woman and yet he loves to claim he and conservatives are the bastion of "morality and decency"?

He is the same guy who minutes after 9/11 happened and the dust is still settling gets on CNN and says, "I told you so! I told you so! I wrote about this in Debt of Honor, but everybody thought I was nuts!" What an arrogant attention whore he is...
                        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Not a fan, WB2010?

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                            Not a fan, WB2010?
                            I just don't like the hypocrisy and arrogance he displays. Namely because we've been under the rule of the same arrogance and hypocrisy for the last eight years and thousands have died. Clancy's work promotes and embodies the, "might makes right" philosophy I (and many others) don't agree with. And I will state that here.

This is why I stated earlier these new films won't work UNLESS they acknowledge what has happened in the last decade or so (presuming this new film will be out in 2009/10) and how the world has changed and how the U.S. has changed for the worse, unfortunately.

Yes we do have legitimate enemies, but thanks to Iraq, fighting those enemies is going to be even harder now because no one wants to back us. If they acknowledge this in the new films then it shows they are serious about treating them with respect and they might just turn out to be OK.
                            Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Working...
                            X