Thread: Nicholl 2019
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #144
Vango
User

Default Re: Nicholl 2019

Gucci you make a lot of good points. The Nicholl is catering to something specific, it's very obvious that a lot of the scripts that advance deep would not do well (with an audience) if filmed. There have been some amazing novels written that not many people know about, but it's your Patterson novels that are flying off the shelves. There are some amazing hole in the wall restaurants, but it's your big restaurants/franchises that make all the money.

At the end of the day, the only thing the fellowship guarantees is the grant money, that you will get signed, and that you will go on a ton of meetings and you won't have to knock down any doors to try and get 10 pages read.

You've already accomplished more than most Nicholl winners, so I don't think it's something you should be stressing over. The Nicholl winners are amazing writers, to be honest, as I've gotten to read several of them. But I think you are a great writer as well.

It's no different than the Academy Awards. Can you please explain to me how Black Panther was nominated for Best Picture as a superhero flick and The Dark Knight, the greatest superhero movie ever, and in IMDB's top 5 movies ever rating wise, was not? That's a rhetorical question. We know why. Moonlight won best picture of the year. That's the best film of the year? Okay. We know why.

Can someone explain how Chris Nolan, by far the most innovative director in Hollywood today, does not have an oscar? The fact that he did not get a best director nomination for the Dark Knight or Instersteller (I believe) is outrageous. And quite frankly, the fact he didn't win best original screenplay for Inception is even worse. Which is easily the best mind-bending big hit commercial film of the 21st century.

Nowadays, these kind of prestigious awards usually favor culturally diverse material that brings socially relevant taboos and global issues to the forefront.
Vango is offline   Reply With Quote