Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenplay Contests

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Beverly Hills Film Festival or the Scramento Film Festival?

Re: Screenplay Contests

Are these the ones you're referring to?

https://www.moviebytes.com/ContestDe...estNumber=2405

https://www.moviebytes.com/ContestDe...estNumber=3122

They have ratings and comments left on Moviebytes, though take those with a grain of salt. I have no personal experience with either so I'll let the ratings speak for themselves.

Originally posted by Guinness View Post
    Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Beverly Hills Film Festival or the Scramento Film Festival?

Comment

I would save my money.
      There are just a handful of contests that MAY help you get traction if you win or place in the finals: Nicholl, Austin, Page, Final Draft Big Break. Others may make the case for Tracking B and Launch Pad.
      Run with the big dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
        I would save my money.
        There are just a handful of contests that MAY help you get traction if you win or place in the finals: Nicholl, Austin, Page, Final Draft Big Break. Others may make the case for Tracking B and Launch Pad.
        Run with the big dogs.
        You can even try the Black List, which I think provides some advantages over comps (I am not affiliated with the Black List in any way, just my opinion):

1) No deadline; apply anytime
        2) Relatively quick response (avg. less than 3 weeks instead of months)
        3) No quota of high scores among submissions whereas most comps have a cap on 1-5 winners.
        4) Industry access if you place high enough. The free hosting and ratings can create a snowball effect
        5) You can submit as often as you can afford and as many revisions
        6) They also often have a Lab program you can apply for (there's a 2018 Annual Feature lab going on at the moment)

The downside is that if you don't score high enough, you're dollar-wise out for more than the average cost of submission to other contests ($100 [1 mo. hosting + 1 eval] vs. $50-60). That and, I guess, the fact that you're competing against the entire pool of writers, working pros included, so the competition is higher. But that's the way it should be anyways.

The cost for the Black List is relatively cheap considering what you're getting, in my opinion.
        Last edited by nguyensquared; 02-25-2018, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
          Are these the ones you're referring to?

https://www.moviebytes.com/ContestDe...estNumber=2405

https://www.moviebytes.com/ContestDe...estNumber=3122

They have ratings and comments left on Moviebytes, though take those with a grain of salt. I have no personal experience with either so I'll let the ratings speak for themselves.
          Thanks! I appreciate your input.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
            You can even try the Black List, which I think provides some advantages over comps (I am not affiliated with the Black List in any way, just my opinion):

1) No deadline; apply anytime
            2) Relatively quick response (avg. less than 3 weeks instead of months)
            3) No quota of high scores among submissions whereas most comps have a cap on 1-5 winners.
            4) Industry access if you place high enough. It can create a snowball effect
            5) You can submit as often as you can afford
            6) They also often have a Lab program you can apply for

The downside is that if you don't score high enough, you're dollar-wise out for more than the average cost submission cost ($100 [1 mo. hosting + 1 eval] vs $50-60). The cost is relatively cheap considering what you're getting, in my opinion.

That and, I guess, the fact that you're competing against the entire pool of writers, pros included, so the competition is higher. But that's the way it should be anyways.
            Thanks...I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
              I would save my money.
              Run with the big dogs.
              I hear you. There are so many people out there willing to take your money. Nothing takes the place of hard work and a great script! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X