No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open source software for screenwriters

Hello.

And we have an update! Today, finally, we will move the latest beta version to the release candidate status!

In the current version, we made several improvements over the previous beta:
    - improved program performance when working with script text;
    - fixed problem with drawing the cursor (for Hebrew and Farsi fixed problem with positioning the cursor in the empty line);
    - fixed problem with slowing down the typewriter sounds;
    - fixed a problem with importing a DOCX document, when character dialogues were defined as actions;
    - improved export of documents to PDF and DOCX;
    - improved import and export in the fountain format.

If you have not been updated for a long time and have not followed the development of the program, then you can take a look at what was added to it on the way from version 0.7.1 to version 0.7.2:
    Beta 1 - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2017-11-10.html
    Beta 2 - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2017-11-12.html
    Beta 3 - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2018-01-07.html
    Beta 4 - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2018-01-08.html
    Beta 5 - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2018-01-23.html
    Beta 6 - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2018-03-14.html
    Beta 7 - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2018-05-15.html
    Beta 8 - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2018-06-19.html
    Beta 9 - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2018-09-17.html
    Beta 9A - https://kitscenarist.ru/en/history/2018-09-30.html

All further improvements in the current version will include only improvements in performance and fixing of detected errors. All new features will be added in the next version 0.8.0.

In fact, it's getting harder for me to support the project every day, so now I'm thinking about how it could be done so that on the one hand the project could develop and on the other hand I wouldn't have to be torn between my main job, my family and KIT. Perhaps you have ideas or suggestions on how to do this - welcome to discussions or private messaging!
    Developer of the Free and Open Source screenwriting software KIT Scenarist

Comment

Hi everybody!

And here is the first patch of KIT Scenarist 0.7.2 rc2, correcting the work of the previous release.

And in it:
      - fixed problem with displaying the cursor in the documents of the research module
      - fixed problem with undoing last action
      - improved saving of review marks in the script editor
      - fixed problem with disappearing review marks
      - fixed problems with project synchronization in some cases

And the program has updated Courier Prime font. We have added to it the full support of the Azerbaijani language as well!

Further, according to the plan, we will have several updates of the mobile version. It is necessary to deliver there all the current developments and optimization, add the ability to work with versions of the script, and it's time to embed cards in it

Have a nice day!

Comment

Yes yes, don't worry, It's me again!

And we have another one small patch-update with misc improvements:

- fixed problem with displaying the cursor in the documents of the research module in dark theme;
        - improved projects saving on application crash;
        - cards text automatically change color to be contrasted with a background color.

That's it!

Comment

Hello everybody!

And we got the next update of the mobile version of the application. KIT Scenarist for Mobile 1.3.4 already in the app stores!

The update includes the following improvements:
          - improved program performance when working with script text;
          - fixed problem with drawing the cursor;
          - improved export of documents to PDF and DOCX;
          - improved import and export in the fountain format;
          - improved saving of review marks in the script editor;
          - fixed problem with disappearing review marks;
          - fixed problems with project synchronization in some cases.

You can get your copy of the mobile application for Android in the Google Play via the link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....kit.scenarist and for iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kit-...?l=en&ls=1&mt=

Comment

Hello friends.

Finally, it happened! The mobile version now also has a card module! Dreams of lounging in bed and work with the cards now become a reality!

https://kitscenarist.ru/assets/image...bile-cards.png

A few words about how to work with cards in the mobile version:
            1. the cards themselves are located in a separate menu item, which is called "Cards"
            2. to move the card to another place, you need to use a long touch. You clamp the card, and when it is ready for dragging, it rises from the board
            3. editing of the card is based on the same principle - you need to capture the card, after which it will become active and can be edited using a special button in the top bar
            4. the size of the cards, the distance between them, their geometry and the need to use the corkboard background can be set in the application settings. There appeared a separate section for setting up cards.

You can get your copy of the iOS mobile app here - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kit-...l=en&ls=1&mt=8 and here for Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....kit.scenarist

I wish you all a good day, guys!

Comment

Hello friends!

KIT Scenarist version 0.7.2 rc3 is coming!

This update included mainly bug fixes and minor improvements:
              - fixed crash in some cases when spelling is turned on;
              - fixed a problem with doubling (CONT'D) in the character blocks when automatic fixes on page breaks turn on;
              - when exporting to the fountain, between the two blocks of the action, an empty line will now be added;
              - the option to correct text on page breaks in the export is now enabled by default;
              - expanded the intervals of valid values ​​for the numerical parameters of the templates;
              - fixed the problem with freezing the program when replacing words with others, within which there is a search word (for example, "space" -> "workspace");
              - fixed a problem with the export of the outline;
              - fixed the problem with removing unnecessary characters when deleting a scene from the navigator;
              - fixed the crash of the application when updating in Mac OS X;
              - fixed the problem with moving the cursor when pressing the left/right buttons on the keyboard for languages ​​with writing from right to left;
              - fixed problem with chronometry calculating when deleting empty lines;
              - improved script text correction on page breaks;
              - fixed the problem with adding characters with empty names;
              - the text of the export button in the export dialog is now replaced by the text "Rewrite", if the file already exists, in order to more clearly indicate the fact of rewriting;
              - fixed issue with missing comments;
              - fixed a problem with exit from Zen mode by pressing F5, at the moment when the auxiliary panel is hidden;
              - fixed a problem with the fall of the program, when trying to restore from a backup in some cases;
              - fixed a problem with the fall of the program during the print preview.

I think this will be the latest update for version 0.7.2 unless of course there are any very critical issues. And then we proceed to the development of the next version.

Comment

Hello!

And here is the first update in 2019! KIT Scenarist version 0.7.2 rc4 included the following improvements:

- added support for high-resolution screen systems (4K);
                - fixed problem with synchronization of projects through the cloud, when co-authors simultaneously edit the same paragraph of text;
                - fixed a problem with the display of the stamp in the cards;
                - fixed a problem with loading the state of a document with locked scene numbers;
                - added German spelling dictionary.

Have a nice day, friends!

Comment

Hello!

We have a small update KIT Scenarist 0.7.2 release candidate 5, which included a couple of fixes:
                  - fixed a problem with the fall of the program when adding links in the research module;
                  - slightly improved copying of the script text to the clipboard (text written in capital letters in the program will now be copied and pasted into other editors also in the form of capital letters).

That's it.

Comment

Hello guys!

Yesterday we launched a fundraising campaign for the release of the KIT Scenarist version 0.8.0! And I invite everyone to take part in it!

https://boomstarter.ru/projects/dimk...daniya_istoriy

You definitely cannot miss it, because version 0.8.0 will only be available to crowdfunding participants at first 100 days after release!

By participating, you will receive not just another update, it will be a completely new product in which you will find:

- a new, super-fast, intuitive, usable and modern interface;
                    - the ability to work with series projects;
                    - improved editors of characters, locations, text documents, and mindmaps;
                    - intuitive work with outline, script, and corkboard;
                    - and many many other not so noticeable, but not less useful improvements;
                    - and of course, itself it will be all the same good old KIT Scenarist, reborn and ready to help on your creative journey!

Crowdfunding participants will be able to be the first to experience the new version, but also they will get cool stickers with Alexander the cat!

Let's go!

P.S. Friends, please help spread the word about the campaign! I will be very grateful to you for reposting, for telling friends. If you have the opportunity to place information about it in the media - this will be just invaluable support for our common cause!

And may the force be with us.

Comment

Hey guys, look at this! Hayden just made a short overview (on English!) of our app and it's very cool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqngyYmY0zE

Comment

Good day guys,

KIT Scenarist version 0.7.2 rc6 published. It includes:

- added the ability to cancel automatic text corrections, for example, if you do not want a capital letter after the point, then you can undo the last action and get the option without correction;
                        - added the ability to set the header and footer for the script (Research - Script - Header & Footer);
                        - fixed the problem with a template used for exporting, when the template in which the script is exported did not similar to what is shown in the export dialog;
                        - improved work with file names in Windows;
                        - added checking for the ability to write into opening files. Now, if a user tries to open a read-only file, the program will warn about this and block all editing abilities so as not to mislead the user;
                        - the size of some dialogs of the program has been adjusted so now it can work fine on old netbooks;
                        - added undo and redo buttons to the research module documents editors;
                        - the "Versions" section has been improved, now it is possible to create new versions and view the text of the script of the saved versions right from it;
                        - improved export in the DOCX format in such a way that now the numbers of the scenes will also be located on the side of the text itself, which will allow better orientation in them;
                        - fixed the problem with the export, when formatting was simultaneously applied to the text of the script and its color was changed;
                        - fixed a problem with the import of documents, when some text was imported as a review mark with black background;
                        - fixed problem with calculating the percentage of rarely used blocks (for example, title);
                        - added spelling dictionary for the Catalan language.

And of course, we have added an indicator of the progress of our campaign, so you can follow our movement to the goal and participate in it, right from the app!

Download update

Interesting experiences now evoke the development of the current version - it is very pleasant to return to work on the program itself, but in addition, there is such a mixed feeling of sadness and joy. You know, this is how, when the next series of the Game of Thrones comes to an end, you are sad that it is over, because you have already walked the whole path with it and are between you so much, but you are happy that it was only the first series of the eighth season and ahead so much more will happen that it is simply impossible to sit still and you want to see the next part as soon as possible!

I really hope that the second season of our saga will be no less epic than the first. But to give him an explosive start, we really need your help! Join our campaign! Together we are able to create the best program for authors!

Comment

Hello friends!

So our crowdfunding campaign has come to an end. Officially, the campaign was supposed to end a week ago, but due to some technical problems in the work of the fundraising platform, the end date was postponed for several days.

Unfortunately, we were not able to collect all the necessary amount. From a goal of 1 million rubles, we collected 376 thousand. The campaign was supported by 241 people and I am grateful to each of you for your support.

Since we didn't collect the necessary amount, it was necessary to make a decision on how to move on - to leave the campaign as it was, returning the money to the sponsors, or withdraw funds and attract investments... After discussing this issue with the campaign sponsors, it was decided to take that have already collected and seek additional funding.

As you understand, attracting investments will require a clear commercial strategy from me and therefore I decided the following - the new version of KIT will be distributed in two types:
                          1. free open source version (will include all the functionality similar to what is currently available in KIT)
                          2. paid closed version (will include all the innovations described in the campaign text)

All campaign participants will receive their rewards, the only thing is that the time for the implementation of the new version will increase, because we need to continue to seek funding, which also takes time.

If you have not had time to participate in the campaign, but really wanted to - you have a few days left until the extra time ends.

WHAT WILL BE WITH THE CURRENT VERSION?

The current version remains available to everyone as it was. It will receive several minor updates, within which the critical errors found will be fixed. And then I will concentrate entirely on developing a new version.

WHERE ARE MY STICKERS?

As soon as the fundraising platform payout the collected funds, I will immediately print and send everything to the addresses you specified!

Once again I want to thank everyone - thank you, friends!

P.S. Guys, I apologize that lately I have been responding to letters and messages. Soon the workload will decrease and I will answer all of them!

Always yours
                          and always with a smile
                          Dimka Novikov

Comment

Hi everybody!

I want to tell you a little about what is happening here and why there is such a lull.

After the crowdfunding campaign ended, I decided not to rush headlong into the new version, but to test my hypotheses about some of the things I planned to implement in it (for the most part, they related to the interface). I made a small demo application in which I implemented all my ideas, but it didn't take off...

Everything was fine, except one thing - the speed of rendering on weak computers and mobile platforms. Because speed and smoothness of the new version work are extremely important for me, I had to look towards other technologies that can give the best result. And new technologies, as you understand, are new challenges but it's okay, now, I have already picked up a great framework that does a great job with building flexible and fast user interface. So I will step by step master it and start working on a new version.

https://kitscenarist.ru/assets/images/news/script.png

What will happen to the old version - during this week I plan to publish a small update. Further updates of version 0.7.X will include only corrections of the most critical errors, improvements in the cloud service, as well as the addition of new translations of the app.

To be honest, it's scary to leave a project in which a lot of time and experience was invested, but I'm not able to move forward both projects, so it's best to honestly point out what future the current version is waiting for.

As for crowdfunding, the Boomstarter paid all the money (minus taxes and payment system commissions). I decided to print and send stickers by the first of September, so expect gifts in the fall.

Also, in the process of thinking about how to separate paid and free options and how to keep free and open-source part open, a new understanding emerged, how best to organize it in such a way as to motivate users to use advanced version, on the one hand, and on the other, to give users the opportunity to work on common projects from both versions. I will tell about it in the next post.

See you, friends.

P.S. And here is some screens of the rethought new version. What do you think about it?

https://kitscenarist.ru/assets/images/news/cards.png

Comment

Hello!

And here comes the update! Meet the KIT Scenarist version 0.7.2 rc9!

It includes the following improvements:
                              - the title page content is now located clearly in the center;
                              - fixed a problem with the character deletion hung dialog;
                              - fixed the problem with the wrong export template set by default for new projects;
                              - fixed the problem with saving the report with the character's dialogues, when all the replicas were displayed in gray and were not readable;
                              - fixed a problem with the incorrect name of the exported file in some cases;
                              - fixed a problem with changing the text register when formatting applied for several blocks;
                              - fixed a problem with broken hotkeys for mind maps.

I want to share my pain with you and ask for help - there is a problem in the KIT Scenarist with the fact that at some point the cards break... duplicate or empty cards appear... This problem has been detected on for a long time, but I can't find a way to reproduce it stably Usually, users write something like, well, you need to work half an hour, edit the text here and there, and problem may appear - this, unfortunately, is no good, for how many times I have not tried to reproduce, I did not succeed. I need a clear sequence of actions that leads to the manifestation of a problem. If I knew this sequence, the solution can be found in minutes.

https://kitscenarist.ru/assets/image...cards-jaws.png

So, I wanted to ask you - maybe you already know when this problem appears and what sequence of actions we need to make in order for it to manifest itself... in that case, please please, write me how this can be done! Or maybe you will be interested in finding out how this problem can be reproduced and you can find a way to reproduce it - I would be very grateful. This is probably the most unpleasant thing now, with which I would not like to leave the current project version... I, for my part, will gladly thank someone who will help in solving this problem! Not that we are organizing a competition to catch the bug, but still I really want to get rid of it and make our application a little better!

Comment

Working...
                              X