X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How risky is this move?

Originally posted by MrEarbrass View Post
    I know plenty of extremely successful screenwriters who would tell their newly minted manager to go fvck himself if he demanded that they e-mail him ten ideas a week.

Different writers have different processes. Some develop ideas constantly; some take one idea and hone it until it's great. (Adaptation did a fantastic job of showing two of those archetypes.) I would think that part of being a good manager would be understanding that not all of your clients will benefit from one particular exercise.

I had the same impression.

But Michaelb has a point. As a less experienced writer you can hone the wrong idea for a long time - time wasted, or you hone it the wrong way.

I think it's to the writer to use the manager as a sparring partner, and not as a writing mom.
    "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key
      No one is saying all ten will be good, or even decent, but if you can't come up with 10 ideas a week you lack imagination and you're in the wrong business. That's not intended to offend or debate, it's just fact.

That's to the point. I guess this trains you to get a more relaxed relationship to your ideas, and not to clinch to a few ones like a tired boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
        This is retarded. Layers and layers of it.

The people who can't see the various layers of retarded going on here are half retarded.

The people who see the various layers but engage are 1/4 retarded.

Those of us who just happened to bounce in here on a fluke are just slow.
        Can you make a sonnet out of this?

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post

I should have stopped engaging an hour ago...

No, I'm glad you didn't. I know you reps are tough guys.

I'm glad about your input.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
            Of course it doesn't.

What's being argued is the process.

The point is that writers turn out ideas all the time.

It doesn't stop with the established writers. They just don't run it by their reps so much any more.

It's an organic process, just like breathing. If you have to think about it or pin a "to think" list on your computer, than it's not organic, and you're not a writer but someone that poses as a writer.

The guy who comes up with one idea once in a while and then noodles it to oblivion? Who says it's a great idea? It could be as bad as one of those ten ideas/day that only served as an example.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka
              I didn't notice anyone else saying this, so I'll say it:
              Sending out 10 story concepts a week is not a good approach, based on my experiences...When you submit too many ideas, they all get inflated, and nothing sticks.
              I agree. We're told elsewhere to nail ONE great script, yet we're supposed to have 10 ideas floating around at the tip of a hat, to offer up to the "other side" on spec?! That's not a wise business strategy, and certainly not the way my brain creates, anyway. I start with an idea, profound or not, and then develop the hell out of it to make it great (my opinion).

As for the concept of busy executives having difficulty absorbing multiple ideas, I do have several reads going on right now as a result of a PDF list of log lines that I send out, upon request. I mention it at the end of every individual query.

I've received compliments that "it's really well organized, thanks" and from that, about half the time, I've received single reads, and one company asked for two.

I suppose the difference is that these are finished scripts, with WGA#'s etc. Basically, each individual query is efficiently crammed into a 4-page document. Since the recipient isn't familiar with me, it's a great way for them to quickly catch up on my work.

Anyway, of these, there are still two active reads going on, at pretty big outfits.

So, you have to try anything to get a read.

But trying to impress with taglines, or "ideas", is risky. Sending out 10+ ideas isn't a secure strategy, especially if they're good ones. What would the recipient owe you? Nothing.

Now, having spare pitches for a face-to-face sounds reasonable, just as it always is to have a spare or ongoing script project. But proving yourself like this, with a shotgun approach of unsecured ideas, hoping one will stick... well, I don't think it's very businesslike.

I know that my lawyer would flip if he knew I were doing it.

In fact, even with my log line list, when someone asked for it, but through my "rep", my lawyer added the following paragraph:

XXXXX is submitting the attached to XXXXX Pictures for a possible purchase by XXXXX Pictures and would not otherwise be disclosing synopses or the ideas embodied in them and therefore, at the risk of stating the obvious, requests that they not be disclosed to anyone outside of XXXXX Pictures.
              I wouldn't have been so bold, but it's how these guys think!

Generally, my opinion of "handshake" deals is that they may be fine under certain circumstances, but only after some money has exchanged hands to establish said trust.

Comment

You guys' ability to relentlessly focus on the one debatable element in any piece of advice is stultifying.

I'm reshocked every time I see these threads deteriorate like this.

Incredible.

Comment

People just like to win arguments. That's all it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                    You guys' ability to relentlessly focus on the one debatable element in any piece of advice is stultifying.

I'm reshocked every time I see these threads deteriorate like this.

Incredible.
                    Fine. Simple question: would you put up with the working relationship described by the OP?

That's the issue that some of us were trying to discuss--and I don't think it's a minor point. I also don't think it's our fault that you missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
                      Of course it doesn't.

What's being argued is the process.

Botti wants volume on a regular basis, believing that this kind of churn will eventually produce cream.

Other pro writers are saying that there are alternate ways of achieving the same goal - great material - and alternate ways of working with a manager.

For the some the process is slow incubation. For others, perhaps the churn is done in private and the manager sees only the cream.

The great takeaway from this thread, I think, for all aspiring writers, is that in your quest to land a rep, finding the RIGHT rep must always be foremost.
                      Putting yourself into a bad working relationship could be damaging, disheartening and ultimately, perhaps even a setback.
                      Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
                      I agree new writers should constantly be searching for a big idea that they can execute to launch their career. If that is done in concert with their manager, great. But as a working writer, I would never sign with a management company that asked me to send them multiple ideas a week.

I come up with new ideas when I need to. Moreover, I come up with the idea when I have a gap in my schedule that would allow me to actually do something with it - like develop it. There's no point in having a great seed for an idea if you don't have time to develop it into a pitch or a spec.

The last thing on my mind when I'm pitching for a job or working on assignment is to be banging out several ideas a day. The focus of my creative energy is on the task in front of me. If an idea hits me out of the blue - great. I'll write it down and when I can do something with it, I'll work on it.

None of this is to say working writers don't spec or aren't working on original ideas. I'd just be very, very surprised if other working writers were sending multiple ideas a week to their reps.
                      I agree with what's written above. ^^

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I write 10 feature scripts every week just to cover myself.
                        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                          do I admit that certain aspects come from an older script or just continue on my merry way as if it's brand-spanking-new?
                          Focus on what they like, work that stuff. And yes, whether they ask or not, it's new, brand spanking new. It's the newest thing you've worked on for years. In the very unlikely event that someone sees a similarity to an earlier idea, just remind them this is different, and it's completely new. Exploit the things that are opening doors and ignore the rest.
                          "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Just getting tired of reading the same bs over and over in this thread.

then don't read it. no gun to your head. you're aware of that, right?

Comment

10 ideas...to YOUR MANAGER. YOUR REP. Not the studio. Not a producer. Not a director. But the person who will help you cultivate one of those ideas. Are you required to do this? No. You can tell them **** off. Can you do this? Yes. If not, quit wasting everyone's time with your lack of imagination. Let me repeat - Are you required to come up with 10 ideas a week? NO. Did we get that? Everyone secure? Can we move the **** on already? Or is some other ass hat going to find the exception that proves this rule?

Just getting tired of reading the same bs over and over in this thread.
                              I understand that you have no significant experience to bring to a discussion about the relationship between writers and managers, but do you have to be quite so strident about it?

Comment

Now I know how Dr. Frankenstein felt.

I've inadvertently created a monster!

Just to wrap things up (on my end, at any rate), thanks to all those who took the time the chime in with their two cents. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X